PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 20 notice after purchase of flat

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The information pack contains nothing about works. It was given to my lawyers in March but the sale dragged on a while.

I have been in contact with my lawyers who chased their lawyers. So the day of exchange the lawyers asked the seller "Has anything changed about the property" to which the seller responded "no" and also asked him "Are there are any upcoming works to the property" to which the response was also "no".

Since the stage 1 notice was served in June, surely the seller is clearly lying.
    Still uncertain what I can do about it though. Since they do claim that no letter was sent and since the managing agent backs up their story, it seems hopeless to get that money back

You keep switching back and forth between the freeholder and the leaseholder.
    Leasold, you ahvent a leg to stand on.
    Freehold, maybe if they sent you something saying no planned works at the same time they sent the email out.
    Since you keep switching between the two and the date are confused I've lost track if this happened or not.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Shouldn't either the seller or the buyers conveyancer been obliged to ask the freeholder about planned work? The seller may have not known but they should have asked the freeholder so they could complete the form correctly.
  • I feel absolutely cheated on!

I'm glad. Your behaviour just before exchange was abhorrent. It's not that often karma strikes so fast. Personally, I reckon the seller knew and that's why they accepted your extortion. Enjoy your bill.
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2018 at 11:07AM
    The vendors could possibly argue that in reducing 10k at the point of exchange they have paid for the works plus 2k for the inconvenience. You also get the full benefit on the improvement works and post grenfell surely fire improvement works would be welcome - indeed your flat may be difficult to sell in the future without it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Norman_Castle
    I'm glad. Your behaviour just before exchange was abhorrent. It's not that often karma strikes so fast. Personally, I reckon the seller knew and that's why they accepted your extortion.
    If the seller knew but kept quiet isn't that abhorrent?

Maybe if the seller had been honest karma wouldn't have pushed for the last minute £10k reduction.
  • If the seller knew but kept quiet isn't that abhorrent?

Maybe if the seller had been honest karma wouldn't have pushed for the last minute £10k reduction.

Get real :rotfl:
  • Norman_Castle
    Get real :rotfl:
    Karma works in mysterious ways.
  • If the seller knew but kept quiet isn't that abhorrent?

Caveat emptor.
  • Norman_Castle
    edited 4 August 2018 at 7:17PM
    Caveat emptor.
    So its morally ok for the seller to hide information. If the op hadn't asked for the price reduction would it still be ok?
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    So its morally ok for the seller to hide information. If the op hadn't asked for the price reduction would it still be ok?
    How do you even know the seller received this email?
    IMO the OP is smart enough to figure out the best time to gazunder they are smart enough to realize buying a flat after the tower fire it was inevitable some upgrades to fire safety system were going to be made.
    I think since these upgrades benefit the OP they should pay for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure