Is this viable? (WTC query)

Not_Radio2
Not_Radio2 Posts: 42 Forumite
edited 18 October 2019 at 9:41AM in Benefits & tax credits

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you do 16 hours work a week and he can pay you for those NMW, then yes it is viable.
  • Not_Radio2
    Not_Radio2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 9:41AM
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    As long as you are doing genuine work for the money paid then your husband would show the amount as an expense in his accounts. He should also show

Also look into marriage allowance if you have not already claimed it.

If you are not paying tax and your husband is not liable to pay tax at higher rate you can transfer some of your unused personal allowance to him.

Make sure you only claim direct from HMRC and not through a third party firm who will take a cut of any repayment.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  • would you know if my husband should have anything official in place regarding employing me, or would it be 'okay' to simply pay me the NMW and keep a record of dates I am paid, in his accounts?

He would have to register as an employer and file Real Time Information reports to HMRC with details of what he is paying you.

As you have a 19 year old son/daughter you must be over 25 and therefore must be paid £8.21/hour. £8.21 x 16 hours is a weekly wage of £131.36 so a PAYE scheme is required.

One possible advantage this brings is that you will have the potential to accrue qualifying years towards the State Retirement pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure