Cottage Countdown

Comments

• LeighofMar
    LeighofMar Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    A quick OP of 81.40 and we are at $48,500.00 payment 141/360. Business taxes are paid. Work van is almost done and paid. Now just have to make it through payroll next week and retirement contributions.

On the fun side, the weather has been so nice so I have been working more and more in my gardens and my flowers are in full bloom and attracting butterflies. DH is putting some beams in our master bedroom and DS came for a visit which was nice. We went to lunch and had a nice time. Now to kick back and relax this weekend.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • LeighofMar
    Pleased with my OP today. 318.60 to the mortgage. Balance is now 48,181.40 payment 143/360. We are 8 years and 6 months ahead of where we should be and inching closer and cloaer to payment 165 which is when the principal starts being more than interest. And right on time too as I just received a letter from the bank saying I will have an escrow shortage and need to pay that in full. And even with paying it in full, my mortgage payment is going up 12.00 :mad:. I know its not a lot, but its so annoying when I' m focusing on paying off the house early.

I am appreciating the 3 paycheck month. Emergency fund, house fund, and long term savings were all added to. Paid off my trip today, but I have done some recent spring clothes shopping. Work van repair came under budget which was nice. And retirement contributions for last month were made today, a little late but better than never. Possible new clients are around the corner so looking forward to summer and seeing what this year holds.
  • LeighofMar
    Adding up this month's OPs and it comes to a nice $910.00. I'm very happy with that. When I send off the mortgage payment plus 110.00 tomorrow, we will have broken into the 47K range. Super stoked. Everything else went well. My husband delivered the patio furniture I bought for my parents anniversary and set it up while they were out. it was a nice surprise for them, and they absolutely love it. I've paid off my spring shopping. Yesterday, we received a quote for a swale in our backyard due to water intrusion in the crawlspace. It will be anywhere from 2500-3500.00 :eek: The joys of homeownership. But it has to be done, so I will look into a line of credit, which will be cheaper than putting it on the credit card. I would rather see how fast I can pay it off than touch our long-term savings. I know this pay period will be tight as the first of the month always is with mortgage and healthcare set to go out the same day. But I still have budgeted for savings and our weekend spending, so it shouldn't be too bad. In two to three weeks, we also want to install a picket fence in the front. Hopefully, that won't be more than $300.00 total as it's just the front run and we will design/add to it a run at a time.
    We applied to be service and repair for the public housing authority, and they accepted us, so now we are just waiting on our first call. It will be so nice to have the majority of our business being local business where OH can dip out and still be home by lunch and for the rest of the day. We are working hard to put our semi-retirement plans into action where OH does the work he wants to do more than what he would have to do. It's exciting times.
  • LeighofMar
    Mortgage payment sent. We are now officially in the 47K bracket with a balance of $47,843.00. Amortization schedule shows us at payment 145 dated 12/27. We should be only at payment 42 with a balance still over $60,000, so we are super motivated being this far ahead. Depending how this month goes, it would be nice to be at $47,000 even when the month ends, but I won't be too disappointed if we're not. I will have to try to budget the groceries for the next two weeks as best I can for any extra wiggle room but even if it's tighter, the house fund received an extra $100.00, the emergency fund $16.00 and the big savings $34.00 plus almost $20.00 in interest on the 11th. All in all I hope to have at least $50.00 left in checking before we get paid again on the 16th.
    We are waiting on a check from a client so I can make April's contribution to our retirement accounts and pay back our investment/flip fund. We hope to buy some investment property through our business soon, restore it and sell it. That's been a dream for a long time, and it looks like it's finally on the horizon.
    I will still need to apply for the line of credit for some house projects. I do love owning rather than renting, but sometimes it just drives you crazy on the stuff you have to spend for things that no one ever sees or notices. I know so many of you here can commiserate. Let's say $3000.00 for the swale, possibly $6000.00 to remove two trees, $2500-$4000 for a new roof, around $700 to reinsulate the attic to help with the hot southeast summers here in the US. Whenever they talk of home improvement on the commercials, it's always nice landscaping, a nice deck, furniture, light fixtures, cute stuff that everyone can see. The reality is so different, lol.:p Oh well, I don't have to do everything at once so we will just concentrate on one project at a time. And after the swale is done, I'll treat us to some nice outdoor furniture :D
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Hooray to getting into the 47's! Always exciting!

You are spot on, it is so frustrating all the costs that add up when you own a home, and not even on the good, fun stuff that you can see and use!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • LeighofMar
    jodles16 wrote: »
    Hooray to getting into the 47's! Always exciting!

You are spot on, it is so frustrating all the costs that add up when you own a home, and not even on the good, fun stuff that you can see and use!

Jodles :D

So true Jodles. I'm now looking at pictures on how to decorate a swale/dry creek bed with attractive landscaping. Because my God, if I'm going to pay all this money for this kind of stuff, it's going to look cute :rotfl:
  • LeighofMar
    Blasted dishwasher broke. Hubby went to get one and they delivered it next day. Its beautiful and super quiet but its 500.00 we were not expecting to pay. Its fine though. OH suggested we do the French drain in the back instead of the swale and that way we are still spending the amount we would have anyway. May is already shaping up to be a spendy month. I will see where I can pinch pennies so we dont feel it too badly.
  • LeighofMar
    Small OP today of $41.75 brings the balance to $47,800.00. I have so many expenses coming up this month that I have to be content with this. We got a second quote from a landscaper regarding the French drains/swale for the backyard. He should give us a price this week, but I'm not expecting it to be lower than what we received from the first guy. We did get approved for the line of credit though for home improvements, so that will be nice to just write a check for the full amount and then hopefully pay that back as quickly as possible. This allows me not to touch my savings and keep letting that grow. It's purely psychological I know, but I absolutely hate draining my savings and then having to slog to pay it back. I'd much rather cash flow the repairs/house projects and let my savings keep growing. Next week when we get paid, I have to pay $275.00 into the mortgage escrow account because of a shortage :mad: Not happy about that at all. Mortgage payment will now rise to $502.00 so future first of the month OPs will be $98.00 instead of the $110.00 I had been making all this time. Annoying, but the good news is we are so close to the point where the principal will start outpacing the interest, so I can't wait to see how that affects our momentum.
    I have been procrastinating getting an oil change on my vehicle for 3 months and hubby's getting annoyed, so I must get that done next week as well. Although since he's the one so annoyed about it, he can take the truck to get it done for me ;)
    I found a great recipe roundup for some Whole 30 meals, so I will try some of them in next week's dinner rotations. So far what's sounding good is avocado lime tuna salad, bbq chicken casserole and egg roll in a bowl with homemade sweet and sour. Should be interesting.
    Nothing but rain to look forward to this weekend so will need to find a home project for my husband before he drives me batty. He gets stir crazy very easily. I can exist between my house and garden very nicely and do everything to survive online. He can't so I better find something for him to do quickly :p
  • LeighofMar
    OP of 318.60 today and paid the 272.69 for the escrow shortage. This OP put us 3 payments ahead:T and we are now on payment 148/360. Balance is 47,481.60 and 8 years and 6 months ahead.
    OH took the truck to our mechanic for the oil change and brakes. While he was there, the mechanic showed him a 2006 honda pilot that he changed the motor out and asked him if we wanted it. Heck yeah, so we gave him the truck plus 2K and we took the car. Its wonderful, fully loaded and we are just thrilled that it has a new engine. Won't have to worry about buying a car now in the future and can continue being debt free. We havent paid a car note in 10 years and want to continue that :beer:
    Will pay off the dishwasher in June and then the registration for the car was 375. Ouch. But its all officially ours and I will work on paying that.
    Still havent gotten the 2nd quote for the swale so maybe we will just go with the first guy. The weather will allow us to do some projects outside. Either we will expand the deck a little bit or pressure wash the outside and pretty up the facade. The front yard desperately needs a shade tree because it gets so hot in the front so maybe we will find a teenage tree that will work and grow quickly. They are usually pretty cheap, maybe 30.00. We will see.
    Enjoy the weekend.
  • LeighofMar
    Today's OP was 81.40 to bring the balance to $47,400.00. I would have liked to be in the 46k bracket by the end of this month, but it doesn't look like we'll quite make it. It has been very spendy, so it's better to do the best I can on the mortgage but concentrate on paying off the dishwasher and my car registration, both put on my credit card. Hopefully, that balance will be finished no later than next month and we can get back to our plans of putting a front picket fence and getting the landscaping done to stop the water from entering the crawlspace.
    It is and will be hot, hot, hot for the foreseeable future which hasn't motivated me to do any side work. My usual work is always done by Wednesday and I'm free to do side work all the other times, but I've been so unmotivated with the beautiful weather and cleaning up my front and backyards. Now with this heat, I guess I'll have no choice but to stay inside so might as well get some work done :D. I do transcription on the side, just to keep my skills fresh as I can't do it full time anymore because of lovely repetitive motion syndrome. But I'm grateful that I get to work from home all the time anyway, so I won't complain on that front. OH had two service calls, both local today, which we were thrilled. One was literally two blocks away, he could walk and the other only a 10-minute drive. I made the deposits for our retirement accounts today so I'm all caught up with finances from work.
    The last meals I made from a recipe roundup of Whole 30 meals have been great. I made zucchini chicken pasta with avocado scallion sauce last night. I had my doubts since my husband doesn't care for green onions. He said Wow on the first bite and kept eating it out of the skillet :T. And my paleo chocolate pie came out great although the crust was very crumbly. Still good though. We have leftover bbq chicken casserole so I don't have to cook today or tomorrow, which will be nice. And this weekend we will probably grill some drumsticks and have some nice cool drinks. Might as well get outside even if it is blazing hot. Monday's a holiday too, so definitely will be grilling on that day. I love it since hubby does all the grilling, I feel like I get a break from the kitchen :A
    Time to get back to my budget sheets and make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Enjoy your weekends all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business