PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2019

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    chrissie57 wrote: »
    15799936.jpg

Another very quick read that I thought would be amusing but wasn't. The drawings were not my style and the largest part of rhe book was cats shown as humans - it got tedious very quickly
    Pointless anthropomorphism, I agree. It doesn't sound like a literary great :rotfl:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I'm in full on reading mode at the moment and will cherish it as long it lasts....

The Hanging Tree - Ben Aaronovitch
    Kind of like it, kind of don't.... But still wanted to reread it before reading the next one.

Lies SLeeping - Ben Aaronovitch
    Read the 400 pages in five days, it was really gripping and I wanted to know how it all ends, plus it was a very funny read too.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Book 4:

31WcWqvVrtL._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    6/10. I read this as part of my annual comprehensive spending review (gotta to do something productive with January!). Its a nicely presented book, but pretty basic so I think aimed at millenials. (The author's experience is limited to sharing expenses with he flatmate/brother!). It did make me think about how I spend on small treats though - TGF Poundland and the chazzer! - and also shone a light on some ethical considerations that are worth knowing. If I was 21 I would probably have rated it 9/10.

Horrifyingly Millennials are in their mid 20s to late 30s now.... (1983 is the start, the end is somewhere in the late 90s):eek:
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • VfM4meplse
    Horrifyingly Millennials are in their mid 20s to late 30s now.... (1983 is the start, the end is somewhere in the late 90s):eek:
    I always think of that as Generation Y (mine being X, of course :D). Aren't millennials late nineties to 2010?

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    chrissie57 wrote: »
    Another filler title - can't even say it was a guilty pleasure because it was awful

I think filler title describes the one that I've just read. 'In the Blood' by Steve Robinson, described as a genealogy mystery. I bought it because I like family history.... it was an ok read, but rather far fetched.
    I'm in full on reading mode at the moment and will cherish it as long it lasts....

The Hanging Tree - Ben Aaronovitch
    Kind of like it, kind of don't.... But still wanted to reread it before reading the next one.

Lies SLeeping - Ben Aaronovitch
    Read the 400 pages in five days, it was really gripping and I wanted to know how it all ends, plus it was a very funny read too.

I've read all of the Rivers of London Titles, up to The Hanging Tree. I thought the first couple in the series were great, but I've thought that the most recent few have started to run out of steam a little. I think Nightingale is a very interesting character, and would like to see a book which tells his story.

I probably will get Lies Sleeping, when it's on offer on Kindle
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Been reading this afternoon 'Don't You Cry' by Cass Green and I'm really enjoying it ,a real page turner. She came to our local 'Meet The Author' last year at our local library and she really knows how to grab the attention with her books I now want to read her other two books and will order them from the library next week
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:22PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I always think of that as Generation Y (mine being X, of course :D). Aren't millennials late nineties to 2010?

Those kids are Gen Z - the ones that grew up/are growing up never knowing a pre-War on Terror world and think taking your shoes off in airports and swiping right on Tinder is how its always been. Millennials are really an alternate name for Gen Y - basically, came of age around the millennium, went out as kids without mobile phone, grew up with dial up internet/were old enough to remember 9/11 as a pivotal event.

(Sometimes Americans use "Oregon Trail Generation" - after the 1985 computer game - for the crossover between Gen X and Millennials - the late 70s/early 80s cohort that started adult life pre-digital but have spent most of their life in the digital age)

"Millennials zero contract hours working, not buying houses and spending money on avocado toast" gets really, really weird if you're thinking of an 8 year old born in 2010, but a lot less weird when you're talking about a 30 year old. :D
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Never or very rarely do fiction but the book for next week will be.....

51883zfTkLL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • VfM4meplse
    Book 5:

51qpqCW0FhL._AC_UL160_.jpg
    8/10. I had this on my shelf for ages, and finally picked it up after I watched the film on TV (its still on iPlayer, btw). I've read quite widely around adoption and some of the awful practices of Ireland last century, but the main reason I wanted to read it was because I couldn't quite believe what a prize a*se the author was.

The book and film are worlds apart in content! The film is like a thin digestive biscuit base on a cheesecake, and the fruit on top - the book provides the thick creamy filling! I think the original title was "The Lost Child of Philomena Lee", which was far more accurate, as it actually focuses on the life of the adoptive son rather than the mother, which was quite remarkable. Aside from new insights on adoption, it was written in a way that cleverly opened my eyes to how people felt compelled to not only their hide homosexuality, but almost forced to self-destruct because of it. Martin Sixsmith is a talented journalist and engaging writer but how he let himself be portrayed in the film beats me.

It also furthered my interest in American politics. I'd seen Primary Colours (again on iPlayer) and there were similar themes in this story. So the book - tellingly authored by "Anonymous" - has now been dragged off my shelf and will be one of the next!

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I've just finished reading 'The Perfectly Imperfect Woman' by Milly Johnson.

I've read quite a few books by this author, and generally they are good stories, with characters who are relatable and likeable.

Although I enjoyed this book, it was a bit far fetched, and I didn't like the main character as much as usual. Still a good book, though
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport