Best way of having spending money in Argentina?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    jasdev wrote: »
    I am also travelling to Argentina and concerned about having any sizable amount of cash on me. Is the ATM withdrawal limit per machine or per day? I have a Clarity card so would intend to use that for purchases and withdrawals.

Of course it is per withdrawal. Nothing stopping you from moving to another ATM in any event. Your card's limit will be your limitation. Though unlikely you will withdraw £500 per day there..
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ugh, looks like the ATM fees have gone up since I was last there. Next time (December) it will be tempting to take USD cash (if I can get a good rate) or maybe use Azimo.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ATM fees are a killer. Easiest way to avoid is to use a Santander card with a Santander Rio bank. Not all that easy to find though.

Best bet is to take a wedge of US dollars and change as you need.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cubegame wrote: »
    ATM fees are a killer. Easiest way to avoid is to use a Santander card with a Santander Rio bank. Not all that easy to find though.

I remember trying to do an over the counter withdrawal with my Santander Zero credit card at a Santander Rio branch, but they just told me that ATM was the only option. I'm pretty sure it still charged me.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • EveryWhere
    cubegame wrote: »

Best bet is to take a wedge of US dollars and change as you need.

Really? I think that you might be confused. Have you actually tried it yourself?

No such thing mentioned here; https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/current-account-interest-rates-and-fees-no-longer-available.pdf

Only Spain mentioned.

If you refer to the Santander Select account, they waive their card's fees, but not fees specifically charged by the ATM.
    https://www.santander.co.uk/select/support/support-abroad
    We will waive the 2.75% foreign exchange fee as well as the £1.99/1.5% cash handling fee when you use Santander branded cash machines in Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, USA, Brazil and Poland
  • EveryWhere
    benjus wrote: »
    I remember trying to do an over the counter withdrawal with my Santander Zero credit card at a Santander Rio branch, but they just told me that ATM was the only option. I'm pretty sure it still charged me.

It did. I had the same issue.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Just wondered on a 30 day trip how much it would save to do all that is recommended here.

Would it be fleecing or just hey it is what it is?
  • EveryWhere
    melanzana wrote: »
    Just wondered on a 30 day trip how much it would save to do all that is recommended here.

Would it be fleecing or just hey it is what it is?

Really? It depends on how much cash you intend to utilise.

Cray-ATM-Fees-In-Argentina-Slip-696x387.png

So per £1000 in cash, the cost will be anything from £50 to £100 if withdrawing cash via ATM, even with the best cards.
  • nik_k
    nik_k Posts: 301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Abbyprince wrote: »
    Nik, what did you end up going with? I’m going to Argentina later this year and interested to know how well monzo/starling worked out?

Hey, in the end we went with TransferWise, and used their debit card. Although it worked well, there were 2 issues...

1) The TW card is a MasterCard, and this wasn't anywhere nearly as widely accepted as a Visa card would have been

2) ATM withdrawals were somewhat hit and miss. The card worked seemlessly in Itau machines, and most Banelco machines, but not in others. However, this wasn't really an issue, as we had an Itau branch just down the street from where we were staying

I know this is a bit out-of-date now, but ATM fees whilst we were there were around ARS$386 per ARS$4,000 withdrawn. These changed on a daily basis.

Would I recommend TW as an option for anyone? Yes I would, with the caveat that you should keep cash on you in case the card declines, and also that it takes a few days to get it into your head which ATMs will work!

Have a great trip!
  • EveryWhere
    nik_k wrote: »
    Hey, in the end we went with TransferWise, and used their debit card. Although it worked well, there were 2 issues...

1) The TW card is a MasterCard, and this wasn't anywhere nearly as widely accepted as a Visa card would have been

2) ATM withdrawals were somewhat hit and miss. The card worked seemlessly in Itau machines, and most Banelco machines, but not in others. However, this wasn't really an issue, as we had an Itau branch just down the street from where we were staying

I know this is a bit out-of-date now, but ATM fees whilst we were there were around ARS$386 per ARS$4,000 withdrawn. These changed on a daily basis.

Would I recommend TW as an option for anyone? Yes I would, with the caveat that you should keep cash on you in case the card declines, and also that it takes a few days to get it into your head which ATMs will work!

Have a great trip!

Transferwise card completely pointless in this respect, with it's £200 per month ATM limit before charging 2%.
    Ironic, since you were concerned about Monzo, who have the same policy, but charge 3% after £200.
    Better to have a card from Starling Bank, with no limits.

Transferwise card is good in other ways, like for getting foreign bank account numbers; https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/pricing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure