Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Good luck with house purchase kittenkirst. You seem very organised. I'll be following your journey with interest.

MGx
    :jMortgage free 08.08.19 :j
    2018: £19410.25 / £9,300 2017: £7646.64 / £11,000 2016: 4557.98 / £11,000 2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000 2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    MF date was Nov 2041 - mortgage neutral 23.07.18

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all!
    So I emailed the mortgage advisor today who has spoken to the sales team: they advised to apply for the mortgage now and if we have any repeated fees due to late house build they will cover them!
    So this means getting our skates on, however the gf's letter arrived saying we have the 'consent to let' on her old flat- so won't effect out mortgage decisions! She has to confirm to pay the fee and they wil send the letter so that's a task for tomorrow!

Had 4 out of 5 things on eBay go yesterday so after all fee's made £18, and then something I posted yesterday with a buy it now also sold so extra £13.50. Not bad for old stuff just hanging around :)

No spend day for me again today and hoping for the same again tomorrow! Every extra penny in the deposit account matters before the end of next week!

Time to make dinner, hope you're all having something tasty!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hello and welcome

That's a very lean SOA if I may say so.

I would look at car insurance and contents insurance when due. Cashback websites are your friends here. I bet you can reduce both if you have a hunt. I pay £50 a year on contents insurance ( not including the cashback I got).

In terms of decor have a look at what you might like to do now. If you have somewhere to store stuff until you move then charity shops and car boot sales are a great way to get stuff. Have just recently got two rolls of laura Ashley wallpaper from a charity shop for £1.95 each. Will do a new feature wall in the lounge. Originally the paper is £40 a roll but still about £25 a roll in the sale.

Best of luck to you both

Bexster :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Ooooooh that sounds like a good bargain Bexster!
    We didn't end up getting to mooch yesterday as the gf was very tired after a long week of work travel, so we got a little more sorting done!

:-)

Tonight using up the leftover chicken and some old coconut cream and noodles from my place, lots of frozen veg and some spices= Thai green curry yum! Dinner is my favorite meal so this pleases me!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Evening all!
    Late post today as got in late after silversmith class :-)

Had a bonus on eBay as a dvd listed on Sunday but also with a buy it now went yesterday so will print the label & post out tomorrow!

Class went well today and I took a can of pop with me and a bottle of squash to avoid the temptation of the coop!
    All food was from stores today and more money was moved from PayPal into the deposit account. I even made breakfast pancakes for my girlfriends parents who had never had them before. They both loved them which made me happy :-)

In the office tomorrow, so pasta already made today and all fruit prepped to take in- I must stay away from the work canteen and the siren call of their Costa counter!

More sorting tomorrow and packing after work- I'm going to tackle my wardrobe with a pile to pack, eBay pile, car boot pile and charity pile :-)
    Dependent on what time I finish I may draft up the eBay listings so I can just post them on Sunday evening...will see!

Have lovely Wednesday's all!
  • Kittenkirst
    Hello!
    Not much to report on the mortgage front for me today, highlights of my day have been my packed lunch and finding 15p in the road! Living on the edge right?! :D

I've been getting all the paperwork together for the mortgage discussions and trying to sort everything to send next week after pay day!

Hope everyone is having a good week, it's almost the weekend wahoo!
  • Kittenkirst
    Afternoon :)
    Today has consisted of more sorting in the flat- have five more boxes for car booting (roll on the first Sunday in March!) and a small pile for ebaying :)

Have swapped my Barclaycard debt (£1400) to Tescos as they have a 0% balance offer so will save £14 a month as interest has just started for Barclays!

12 months of statements have now arrived for my current account and I've printed off lots of my pay slips & P60 ready for the mortgage application!

Am really pleased as on checking my finance spreadsheets I haven't spent any money at all for 5 days! Amazing what determination can do- no frothy coffees at work, lunches at work etc :-)

I am now just chilling watching pretty little liars with a blanket on and the cat snuggled on my lap :D
  • Evening all!

Logged onto work laptop sneakily to check pay slip for tomorrow and update banking early! Had an additional £75 in it (due to salary changes and different bonuses being paid- I must have overestimated the tax and student loan deductions!).

Going to do the money shifting tomorrow into deposit savings account and finalise the paperwork for the mortgage broker :-)

Listed 9 items on eBay tonight and a dress sold for £10.60 making my eBay earnings around £110 before fees- not bad for in a month!

Looking back at the week I have not spent any money all week- amazing what a plan can do for you :-)

The gf has been eBay listing today and had lots of things finishing so it's all going in the deposit/house to be pot! All very exciting!
  • Fingers crossed for your new place, I'm currently buying somewhere new too so I have all the fun of solicitors and mortgage applications too right now.

One thing you wrote jumped out at me though. If your gf has a flat already, and is going to be on your new place too, are you aware of the extra stamp duty you're going to have to pay on this new place as she's buying a second property, as that will add a big chunk to your expenses.
    MFW OP's 2017 #101 £829.32/£5000
    MFiT-T4 - #46 £0/£45k to reduce mortgage total
    04/16 Mortgage start £153,892.45
    MFW 2015 #63 £4229.71/£3000 - old Mortgage
  • Hey Path to freedom!
    Yes, thanks for adding it in as I forgot to mention. It's up for sale now but not shifting! We checked with mortgage advisor and if not sold by completion date will be an eye watering extra £5300. :eek:

However, if she sells within 18 months it will be refunded. We are lucky that her mum has said she is happy to cover that, IF she doesn't sell by completion.

Fingers crossed she does as I really don't want to be borrowing (very very kind of her to do!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback