PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick questions on bread making

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JennyW wrote: »
    so is yours now fizzing up? Just wondering what I'm doing wrong
    No, it just bubbles away like yours does. Or are you saying yours stops bubbling altogether? If you look down into it and you see regular bubbles coming up to the top, then that seems to be it. Not quite so satisfying as a nice 1-inch head on top as with dried yeast but, as you have found out, it does the job.
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Biggles wrote: »
    No, it just bubbles away like yours does. Or are you saying yours stops bubbling altogether? If you look down into it and you see regular bubbles coming up to the top, then that seems to be it. Not quite so satisfying as a nice 1-inch head on top as with dried yeast but, as you have found out, it does the job.

yes sorry, just a few bubbles rose up, certainly not the frothy head some seem to get :( I was really looking forward to seeing that (expecting to see something like the head on a glass of guiness :rotfl: ). But yes, the few bubbles that were in mine seemed to do the job
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    My bread always seems a bit stodgy and doesn't seem to rise half as nuch as I would like....any ideas why?
    I follow the recipe on the back of the bread flour packet to a tee....
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• count_rostov
    count_rostov Posts: 218 Forumite
    Ha ha - I thought that fresh yeast wasn't meant to froth at all! I just mix it with sugar and warm water and add to the flour. The bread is still nice!
    My question is, how do you know when the yeast is past it's best? I had some which was about a week and a half old and wasn't sure whether to risk it. Elizabeth David says that in the past they put the fresh yeast in warm sugared water and if it sank and then floated within about two minutes it was good to use. Then she says that you should be able to tell by sight and smell whether it is good or not. But then she doesn't tell you what it should look/smell like!
    Anyway, mine didn't float so I threw it out and used dried yeast instead. The bread was fine.
    Debt at LBM (20th March 2008) £13,607
    Debt currently [strike]£11,667[/strike] [strike]£11088[/strike] [strike]£10,681[/strike] [STRIKE]£10354 Hurrah 24% paid off[/STRIKE]
    Oh dear ... back to £12944 9% paid off :rolleyes:
    Hurrah £10712 22% paid off
  • Boudica
    Boudica Posts: 102 Forumite
    Hi there

I feel that this may be a stupid question but I need to ask it anyway.

I've always made bread with dried yeast but I am going to start getting the fresh from the bakery dept.

How much fresh yeast do you use please to make a bog standard sized loaf?

Sorry for thick-sounding question....i'm starting my moneysaving again in earnest this week....i've taken my eye off the ball so need to start again

Thanks
    Lightbulb moment 2/1/07
    First Direct £2500 loan
    John Lewis £200 (card not used since July 2005)
    HFC £350
    Co-Op £5000 (car loan - disabled so needed new wheels as previous car is now scrapped)
    Total debt £8050

DFW by 2010
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Boudica,

I have never used fresh yeast, but the replies on this thread may help:

fresh yeast dried yeast conversion

Pink
  • JennyW_2
    Has anyone suffered with indigestion since making their own bread :confused:

I only ask because both my husband and I have suffered with this since I bought my panny a couple of months back.

Could be purely coincidental but I'm using shop bread at the moment :( just to see.

Blooming hope not coz I love my home-made bread. Plus if my bread is additive and preservative free, cant see why it would cause problems? Could it be a particular brand of flour. Would be interested to hear if anyone has had problems.
  • I find I get indigestion if I eat any kind of bread that is hot out of the oven, or too fresh. I also get bad indigestion if I eat value bread or bread made with value flour. I have no idea why but my friend is just the same and we reckon that it is our age (40's) - when I was younger I had a cast iron stomach and could eat anything!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • I can be ill if I have bread on the rapid bake setting, don't know why that is?

If your making bread with a lot of fibre in (wholemeal etc) then the fibre absorbs water more readily leaving you with slightly more acidic stomach, hence indegestion.

Best cure for indegestion is to not let yourself become dehydrated.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • JennyW_2
    I can be ill if I have bread on the rapid bake setting, don't know why that is?

If your making bread with a lot of fibre in (wholemeal etc) then the fibre absorbs water more readily leaving you with slightly more acidic stomach, hence indegestion.

Best cure for indegestion is to not let yourself become dehydrated.

Well I've always eaten wholemeal bread, even before I started making my own and I do drink plenty of water. I'm currently taking medication for the indigestion so it could be anything, just curious to see if there could be a link
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure