Selling your story - supply & demand

Options
2»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your family member want to have you splashing details about them in the gutter press?
    And if they don't mind, what percentage were you planning to offer them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Google 'Writers' and Artists' Yearbook'. Go for the 2019 edition, as it's out now.
    If you're a good writer, then it doesn't just have to be about your family. If you're not a good writer, then no-one will be interested in what you write about your family.

And by 'good writer' I don't just mean knowing how to string a sentence to together: I mean understanding word counts, style guides, tone of voice, and what the market is looking for. If you've just read an article about 'aliens stole my husband', and think 'Wow, that happened to me, I could write about that' - think again. They've just done that story, they don't want another one, they want something different.

But it definitely works for some people. The yearbook is full of useful hints and tips on becoming a writer, as well as providing addresses and rates of pay for all magazine publishers.

I agree with all that:T.

It's usually a good idea though to read several issues of the magazines that print this type of story to get a feel of the style of thing they go for. You can request guidelines for submissions that most of these mags will supply. Obviously, as trailingspouse said, they won't want the same sort of story they've already printed but the same level of sensationalism would probably be essential. Some mags just concentrate on love-rat type stories, others on unnatural psychic happenings etc etc. Unless you really understand the market you'll have your work rejected, however well-written or interesting it is.

I've had several short stories/articles published in the past in quite an eclectic mix of magazines. I sometimes had to write in a style that was way out of my comfort zone:eek: in order to suit the guidelines and style of certain magazines but if it meant work was accepted and paid for so be it;)

Good Luck:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport