Oyster card reclaiming - guide discussion

2»

Comments

• Can you get a refund on older cards. I have three and two of them haven't been used for a year or two.

It doesn't take me further when I try to claim online. Should I call them?
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,543 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it possible to get a refund on Visitor Oyster Cards please?
    2020 Wins:
  • I'm afraid you have a circular (in the logical sense) problem with your advice - good though it is - on registering or refunding Oyster cards. I suspect a fair amount of cash sitting on Oysters is from those who don't live in London but visit occasionally. And that's us! I thought registering was a good idea after reading your article but I couldn't. This was because my last journey using the card was previous to the 'last 8 week' window. OK, so I'll get a refund then? No, because in order to get a refund you have to register the card and I can't do that because
    ! Clearly, Joseph Heller works for TFL ('Catch 22' if you've read the book; if you haven't, do so asap and many infuriating aspects of your life will become clearer!)
  • fallen121
    fallen121 Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have an Oyster visitor card and it's very VERY old. It's linked to an online account but can't be refunded online or by phone because a) It's a visitor card and b) The debit card it was linked to for auto top-up has expired.

I've been advised to write enclosing photographs of the card and my driving licence.

Hopefully they can sort something out. The guy (Pete) on the phone was really helpful.

Apparently you aren't supposed to be able to link visitor cards to online accounts but my card is that old that there probably wasn't any restriction back then!
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Shocking security process when claiming a refund of credit if you are stopping your Oystercard (like me). Okay you need to log into your TFL Oyster account with email and password but then they give you the option of being paid by Bacs into a bank account . All you have to do is stick in your bank sort code and account number , then press the 'submit' button.

I've been sent an automated email confirming the refund but no hyperlink to confirm the transaction as valid (which I thought would be a more secure process).

If hackers got into the Oyster system and got hold of all the user ids/passwords ,all they would have to do is follow the process above. They could use some automated robot to log into everyone's account, stop all oyster cards and divert any credit (ie. many millions) into some rogue bank account. Okay , it might take 2 days for the money to reach that account and they may have time to stop the fraud. But instantly, the Oystercards would no longer work and this could cause the whole of London commuting to come to an instant standstill !!!

Can't believe that the security process on refunds is so tame.
  • Hi guys ‘n gals,
    I live away from the Capital now, so reclaimed my card balance (also cancelled the card) online but retained the card. Does anyone know if I can still obtain the £5 deposit if I take the card to an Underground station on my upcoming visit? Will I need any paperwork or records?
    Thanks ahead, for your thoughts.
  • In order to reclaim ...
    I am required to sign up online ...
    In order to sign up ...
    I have to give details of the last journey made with the Oyster card – which must have been made within the last 8 weeks (but not today) ...
    I have not made a journey in 8 months with the Oyster card – let alone 8 weeks ...
    I am unable to sign up online ...
    I am unable to reclaim ...
    So far, not so good ...

For further assistance, I may contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (8am - 8pm) ...
    No thank you ...
    I am currently abroad – for most of my foreseeable future ...

So much for 60 seconds!

As Repercussionist and others have stated the advice on this article is still incorrect as per November 2019.

Unless you have alreasy created an online account, or have used you Oyster Card in the last 8 weeks, you cannot sign up for an account onliine, or use the telephone service to gat a refund.

Since the introduction of Contactless payments on the London Transport system you no longer need an Oyster Card.

TFL are hanging on to £399 million, of Oyster Card owners money, on which THEY are earning interest, and not making it east to get your money back.

The only way to get your money back, including the £5 deposit, is either go to london and use the card, and then register within 8 weeks and then apply for a refund online, or to post in your card and apply for a refund that way.

I live in Somerset, I have not used my Oyster Card for over 3 years, and am not planning any trips to London. So my only option is to post the card to the useless and unhelpful Transport For London.

Please MSE update your original post with the actual situation, not one then only pertains to Londoners.

Thanks
  • Thank you for doing this. However, I don't see the 'table below' that you mention in your article nor am I clear how to claim when they are not making a journey available for a claim.
    Oyster doesn't list for refund journeys where I did in fact touch in or out (after all, I went through the gate, which maybe proves I did?) but they recorded, wrongly, that I didn't.
    I always have to fill in an online complaint form instead
    I always ask them that they make it clearer and easier for people to claim a refund (eg just click on a journey in the history which should prepopulate a form and add in the missing info - where I touched in or out - then submit to 'claim a refund')
    One feels they're just trying to make it difficult to put us off, which is poor when it is their system's failure.
    Would MSE please also join this campaign and ask tfl to make it easy for travellers to provide missing touch in/out info and claim a refund online?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure