Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Homeless charities that provide bricks and mortar shelter?

Options
Hi there,

I am looking to support charities that help Homeless people, but I'd rather pick a charity (or cause) that provides shelter and accommodation for those who are sleeping rough. A lot of the big homeless charities I have looked at (crisis, shelter etc.) provide legal assistance, or advice, counselling and other useful services, but very little actual shelter for those on the streets at this time of year. I see that St. Mungo's do put a significant amount of the funds raised to cater for homeless people by providing beds and accommodation for the homeless, but does anyone know of any other similar charities that are 'front line' so to speak.

Thanks,
H

Comments

• splking
    splking Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Great recommendation "_shel", much appreciated. Just been through the financials, refreshing to see that nobody earns a salary over 60k, and they rely on a significant number of volunteers.

If anyone else has suggestions like the above, regional, or national, please do let me know.

H
  • tunathe_cat
    Options
    In Milton Keynes we have the following local groups/facilities for our homeless lads and lasses

https://www.winternightsheltermk.com

https://www.thebussheltermk.org

Help our homeless mk (facebook). We go out on the streets 3 times a week running alongside the Soup Run. A thirft shop which help raise monies for tents/bedding/toiletress and clothes and shoes.
  • splking
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi tunathe_cat, I assume from your post that you work with this charity/cause? Do you find personally that donations are put to good use, and help keep these people out of the cold at this most bitter time of year? I'll take a look into them, I appreciate the reply.

H
  • tunathe_cat
    Options
    splking wrote: »
    Hi tunathe_cat, I assume from your post that you work with this charity/cause? Do you find personally that donations are put to good use, and help keep these people out of the cold at this most bitter time of year? I'll take a look into them, I appreciate the reply.

H

I volunteer with all the above - When the temperature is below 0- the council have a duty of care (sweep) to temporarily house this normally is hotel accommodation.( But they dont normally house those with Pets . So they tend to still say out on the streets!) Though They may be under a roof but due to logistics - no access to food/drinks.They will also need travel back to the council to apply for each night that sweep is activated. They often have no official identification so have no access to benefits/banks. I cannot think of easy emergency solutions Winter /Summer the cold/hot weather seem to be a big suprize .
  • dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I"m helping to set this up in my local area
    https://www.facebook.com/ilkestonwintershelter/?ref=br_rs

SPC no:076
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mungos is big, and does excellent work across the country.

In Bristol:

The Julian Trust

Spring of Hope (one of the very very few nightshelters for women - it's not that women can't use all the others, but they tend not to)

Bristol Churches Winter Night Shelter - the whole Bristol Homeless Connect website is a great resource for those wanting to help.

Caring in Bristol runs Nightstop in Bristol - this is a superb charity which works with young people who'd otherwise end up sleeping rough.

Having said that ...
    splking wrote: »
    A lot of the big homeless charities I have looked at (crisis, shelter etc.) provide legal assistance, or advice, counselling and other useful services, but very little actual shelter for those on the streets at this time of year.
    It is tempting to think that people who are sleeping rough just need somewhere to live. It's not always that simple. Agreed, there is nowhere near enough affordable accommodation in the UK, and agreed, the benefits system and recent changes have made the situation far far worse. But sometimes, somewhere to live isn't enough without the other services you've identified: legal help, counselling, and VERY high on the list support with dealing with addiction. And sometimes, enough intervention of THAT kind would prevent homelessness ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    to find organisations local to you - google "homeless shelters near me" or look on your local council website for advice on what to do/where to go if you find yourself homeless. That's where I started when looking for local organisations!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • splking
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the recent replies. I am currently working with HARP ( a homeless charity in Southend-On-Sea, the area where i grew up), to create a financial support strategy with a venture I am starting, and I wanted to find similar charities, or causes, around the country. Ideally I was hoping there would be a charity who would perform this type of thing on a national scale, but it seems to be handled by local/regional projects.

Obviously I can sit on google and work through towns/regions, going through the results, but I figured it would be worth my while posting on here to get some responses from people who may know about specific charities doing great work in their area.

Savy_Sue, thanks for your response. I completely agree with your point about homelessness being such a complicated issue, however I am concerned about the number of people sleeping rough on the streets, and whilst there are a multitude of reasons as to why they aren't in accommodation, I would like to support causes that offer some emergency shelter if the weather is particularly harsh on a particular night and rough sleepers don't have the time to be offered a warm and dry place to sleep.

Great to hear so many projects are trying to help.

H
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This charity seems to provide accommodation and help on the streets:
    https://www.simoncommunity.org.uk/simon-today.html

and there is a page with links to similar organisations:
    https://www.simoncommunity.org.uk/links.html
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure