Runaway broken water meter while I'm on maternity leave...how to get it fixed?

Options
ClaireMin
ClaireMin Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 17 October 2018 at 9:04PM in Water bills
Hello everyone - I'm on maternity leave right now, live abroad frequently and have just discovered that the water meter at my holiday let appears to be broken. I've noticed that since I had the meter fitted in March of this year, the bills were way higher than I expected (often £80 plus per month for a two bed place, sewerage not included as its on a septic tank) and had questioned it with the supplier but their explanation seemed to hold water (excuse the pun). Anyway I am here now and tested it by turning off the stopcock for water into the house and sure enough the meter is still whizzing away at an alarming rate with no visible sign of a leak. I've reported this to Scottish water (who installed the meter) but they said that I need to report it via my licenced provider who then need to call them out, as its the provider that has been receiving the money for my bills payments. Suffice to say I have followed this protocol but am concerned as it took Scottish water the best part of a year and a LOT of chasing in the first place to get the meter fitted and I can't afford for this whacking great sum of money to keep coming out of my account for no reason. So, my questions are:
1. How can I get this issue taken seriously and dealt with urgently by Scottish Water?
2. What kind of refund can I demand?
3. From March this year (when the meter was first fitted) I was working with one licenced provider but didn't like them so switched in July time, so I guess would need to get refunded by both? How does this work?
thanks!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Water supply in Scotland has always been different from England and Wales and my understanding is the the new system of 'licenced provider' is only for commercial customers??

I would try the Consumer Council for Water https://www.ccwater.org.uk/

who would be the organisation to deal with in England and Wales. If they don't cover Scotland they might be able to advise.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ClaireMin wrote: »
    Hello everyone - I'm on maternity leave right now, live abroad frequently and have just discovered that the water meter at my holiday let appears to be broken. I've noticed that since I had the meter fitted in March of this year, the bills were way higher than I expected (often £80 plus per month for a two bed place, sewerage not included as its on a septic tank) and had questioned it with the supplier but their explanation seemed to hold water (excuse the pun). Anyway I am here now and tested it by turning off the stopcock for water into the house and sure enough the meter is still whizzing away at an alarming rate with no visible sign of a leak. I've reported this to Scottish water (who installed the meter) but they said that I need to report it via my licenced provider who then need to call them out, as its the provider that has been receiving the money for my bills payments. Suffice to say I have followed this protocol but am concerned as it took Scottish water the best part of a year and a LOT of chasing in the first place to get the meter fitted and I can't afford for this whacking great sum of money to keep coming out of my account for no reason. So, my questions are:
    1. How can I get this issue taken seriously and dealt with urgently by Scottish Water?
    2. What kind of refund can I demand?
    3. From March this year (when the meter was first fitted) I was working with one licenced provider but didn't like them so switched in July time, so I guess would need to get refunded by both? How does this work?
    thanks!

The water meter can only be "whizzing away at an alarming rate" due to the passing of water through it.

Whilst you may not be able to see the leak, there must be one if you have turned off the stopcock to the property.

You need to have the water supply isolated prior to your meter. It may well be only the water supplier (perhaps at the request of the licenced provider) are the only ones authorised to isolate this for you.

I know in my water authority area (in England) there is no charge for isolating the supply, but there is a charge for reconnection.

I am concerned it has taken you the best part of a year, and you are still allowing the wasteful loss of water.

You cannot demand any refund. But if you ask nicely, they may (assuming this is the first loss) allow a rebate as a gesture of goodwill.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ClaireMin wrote: »
    I've noticed that since I had the meter fitted in March of this year, the bills were way higher than I expected (often £80 plus per month for a two bed place,
    Anyway I am here now and tested it by turning off the stopcock for water into the house and sure enough the meter is still whizzing away at an alarming rate with no visible sign of a leak.
    Where is the meter, there should be a stoptap before it, sometimes under a cover outside.
    Also check this meter isn't supplying another property.
  • ClaireMin
    Options
    hello, thanks for the responses - yes, it is deemed to be a commercial property as its a holiday cottage hence the licenced provider relationship. On the leakage front, when I rang Scots Water and reported the issue, they said that if I couldn't see a leak then there wasn't one and that it must be a faulty meter. It is possible that it is connected to another property but both properties either side of me were vacant (and had been for some time so no washing machine etc running - one is a second home rarely used and the other is also a holiday let) so I can't quite see how anyone else may have hacked into it, if that's what you are thinking of? thanks again, Claire
  • ClaireMin
    Options
    PS the meter is outside in the garden and will check to see if there is another stop tap outside - thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure