Delivering local free newspaper

How much are you paid on average to deliver the free weekly newspaper these days if your area has one?

I know my area has rounds available all with around 200-250 papers per round.

Trying to work out if it will be worth doing one for some extra money. I did local free paper delivery when I was in high school going on for 20 years ago now and was paid £7 to deliver 300 papers back then. :p

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not ask the paper concerned how much they pay? A paper in West Wales may pay very different rates to one in Surrey
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Why not ask the paper concerned how much they pay? A paper in West Wales may pay very different rates to one in Surrey

They want me to fill in the form and choose a round before they will tell me as the amount of papers differ.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It varies each week to according to how many leaflets you need to sort and deliver at the same time and the size of the round. It's not a lot though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I really don't think it'll be worth it.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    They want me to fill in the form and choose a round before they will tell me as the amount of papers differ.

Do that then. Decide how much time you want to give it on a weekly basis. Choose your area, houses close together means you can whiz round them and do the job quicker. Big houses with long driveways mean you won't be able to deliver as many in the same time. Will the days you are available fit in with their publication dates? You can always say no thanks if they don't offer you anything suitable.

Don't forget, if it is a regular round you will have to do it in all weathers, have you got waterproofs and decent boots?

If you live in the countryside with villages close by contact the Parish Councils and ask if they have any newsletters they want delivering. I deliver in one village, 400 a time, twice a year, paid £30 each time. I can do it all in a day, but usually split it into two shorter days. I don't do it for the money, the bonus is that I get the exercise. Walking is one of my hobbies. :D

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona wrote: »
    Do that then. Decide how much time you want to give it on a weekly basis. Choose your area, houses close together means you can whiz round them and do the job quicker. Big houses with long driveways mean you won't be able to deliver as many in the same time. Will the days you are available fit in with their publication dates? You can always say no thanks if they don't offer you anything suitable.

Don't forget, if it is a regular round you will have to do it in all weathers, have you got waterproofs and decent boots?

If you live in the countryside with villages close by contact the Parish Councils and ask if they have any newsletters they want delivering. I deliver in one village, 400 a time, twice a year, paid £30 each time. I can do it all in a day, but usually split it into two shorter days. I don't do it for the money, the bonus is that I get the exercise. Walking is one of my hobbies. :D

ilona

The round I want to do is a small newish housing estate of 239 houses spread over 13 cul-de-sacs, all open plan with short driveways. I should be able to do it in a couple of hours. It's published midweek and I usually have an afternoon off from work Wed and Thurs so plenty of time to fit it in.

I was planning on driving to the estate then delivering them on foot but it isn't actually far, prob third of a mile away.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Now you have identified the area you want, the next step is to contact the newspaper and ask if it is available, if it is, ask how much it pays. They won't come knocking on your door, you have to approach them.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona wrote: »
    Now you have identified the area you want, the next step is to contact the newspaper and ask if it is available, if it is, ask how much it pays. They won't come knocking on your door, you have to approach them.

ilona

It is available as they were advertising, I enquired and they emailed me a list of the current available rounds.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not just the delivery time you need to consider, it's making sure that each paper has the relevant leaflets with it.
    I did ask someone round my way what they were paid and I *think* it was about £20 on a good week.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Think in terms of anywhere between 4p and 10p per delivery, if it is any more than 10p/unit I would be pleasantly surprised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure