PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The four books I want to read in January are:
    Watching the English - Kate Fox
    The Well-Tuned body - Penny Ingham (Alexander technique book)
    A Stranger in the house - Shari Lapena
    Mastermind - Maria Konnikova

I decided not to read the Alexander Technique book as I had to do exercises alongside reading the book so thought I would leave that for a couple of months.

My new list for January:

1. Watching the English - Kate Fox

A charity shop buy. Witty and funny so far. It's a very accurate description of how English people behave.:p I will give this to a friend afterwards.

2. Mastermind - Maria Konnikova

How to think like Sherlock Holmes. This book is really dull! I bought it at full price so I will persevere with this one. This will definitely be donated to a charity shop afterwards.

3. How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free - E J.Zelinski

My aim is to be retired from work at age 50 so the subject is super interesting to me. I started this one at the end of 2017 so I will include it for January too. Bought full price, but I will hold onto this book after I read it.

4. The Happiness Trap - Russ Harris

I borrowed this from a friend. Self-help book based on ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I read a couple of chapters of this one and it seems very familiar so I'm not sure if I have read it before or I have just read about the ACT therapy before. I might not bother reading all of this book and just give it back.

5. A Stranger in the house - Shari Lapena

Fiction thriller - I haven't started this one yet. If it's really good I usually try to read a book like this in one go so I will keep this for a weekend read.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello everyone, I finished reading my 1st book of 2018 yesterday.Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell. It is a psychological thriller, fast paced and gripping with well thought out characters. There is more than one twist in this book. 9.5/10
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!

A charity shop buy. Witty and funny so far. It's a very accurate description of how English people behave.:p I will give this to a friend afterwards.
    A good read and made me behave distinctly more “English” afterwards. Must get round to dipping into the book that sits alongside it in my home, “Very British Problems”.

How to think like Sherlock Holmes. This book is really dull! I bought it at full price so I will persevere with this one. This will definitely be donated to a charity shop afterwards.
    I P’Inned this after a recommendation from the previous thread, was looking forward to finding it.

My aim is to be retired from work at age 50 so the subject is super interesting to me. I started this one at the end of 2017 so I will include it for January too. Bought full price, but I will hold onto this book after I read it.
    I’d love to read this book so have P’Inned it.

I borrowed this from a friend. Self-help book based on ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I read a couple of chapters of this one and it seems very familiar so I'm not sure if I have read it before or I have just read about the ACT therapy before. I might not bother reading all of this book and just give it back.
    Got this, was ok but not overly impressed.

Fiction thriller - I haven't started this one yet. If it's really good I usually try to read a book like this in one go so I will keep this for a weekend read.:)
    Its on my shelf - let us know how you get on with it, please?

It’s day 3 of the New Year and my total thus far is zero :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse - Feel free to PM me if you want me to send you Mastermind. I'm not a weirdo or anything.:D I tried a bit of it again this morning and it really isn't my cup of tea.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I finished The Glovemaker's Daughter last night. 10/10!

Anyone interested in The the first settlers in America, religion, realionships would love it. Over Christmas I haven’t had the same time for reading, so took longer than I would have done, but I loved it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • sugarbaby125
    I read The Book of You by Claire Kendal and it was such a taut, tense, terrifying thriller that I could not put it down. It is a fantastic read. I would give it 9.5/10 :D
  • sugarbaby125
    I just finished Theodore Boone The Accused by John Grisham. Almost from the 1st page I wondered if this book was for young adults and soon became aware that it was. :rotfl: It was a Poundland buy and as I love John Grisham, who is an excellent author I could not wait to read this book. I had not realised he had written books for young adults, but this book is still well written. ;) I would give it 8.5/10.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Syman wrote: »

Next is:

34091173.jpg

As a long time fan of Iron Maiden this book was a very enjoyable read. Written in a style that balanced new information and well publicised events of Bruce's life(s) as a singer and airline captain, but not bogged down with too much personal information.

this next:-

21412232.jpg

PS. VfM4mepls - i really enjoyed Shari Lapena - Stranger in the house.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Hello fellow book-worms!

I hope I can stick to reading and to this tread this year, I really need to read more again, last year was a bit better than 2016 but still I haven't read as much as I hoped. So I now set myself a goal of 30 pages a day, which should be managable on my commute and sometimes during lunchbreak.

Currently reading The Autumn Throne by Elizabeth Chadwick. Eleanor of Aquitaine is probably my favourite historical person, so I really enjoy reading about her and it is quite an entertaining read so far (about 3/4 in)

Z
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I decided not to read the Alexander Technique book as I had to do exercises alongside reading the book so thought I would leave that for a couple of months.

My new list for January:

Might keep a look out for number 3 although I’m 54 this year so I might have to lower my sights!
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure