Car Hire in Gran Canaria - Talk to me!

Options
Hi all,

Off to Gran Can end of the month...
Previous trips, I rented through local firms so I could drive away in the car I booked, not listen to drizzle about excess this and excess that, and $10000000000 held on your card, etc etc....

However, I fancy playing that game this time, so apart from avoiding the obvious (Goldcar), what challenges can I expect using the car hire firms at the airport (say I use either: Hertz, Thrifty (Dollar), or Inter Rent)

I would book using a Broker like 'Holiday Auto's' or 'AutoEurope' for the car, and then i'll buy a single Excess cover as per the MSE webpage (4 days cover = £10 :):) )

So, I rock up to the desk, 1st thing I am gonna hear is the upsell, to which I will say No to all, and in a polite way, show my excess cover cert and ask for the keys....
I don't have an issue with them 'Auth' on my credit card...

Are my only concerns that , "there is a 0.00000001mm scratch on the underside of the car that even a microscope cant see, so I am now liable for £500 because I didn't take the agents upsell on super super super CDW cover" when I take the car back ??

To which I should be able to claim from the excess cover firm when the car rental agency sends me the quote/invoice as proof of the claim against my Credit Card ? or if the renter doesn't provide proof, I would then start a Section 75 against the credit card firm ?

A mix of Sarcasm, which unfortunately can be part true....
Just wondering if its worth trying that route, or should I stick with the local renter (pluscar, etc) and just hire a car and drive away ?! :)

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are all as bad as each other. Book the cheapest.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    show my excess cover cert
    Don't bother doing that, or even mention it, it's none of their concern and would only extend the conversation. Just say 'no thanks'.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Avis Budget Hertz Thrifty are being competitive at LPA, no point bothering with others, you won’t save enough.
    Avoid inter rent, they are owned by the unscrupulous Europcar.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheers
    I had some fun with GOLDCAR on facebook.....
    They really aren't the firm to rent with !!
  • danielson81
    Options
    I recommend AutoReisen, google them.

Used them loads of times, no insurance hard sell (In fact it comes with zero excess insurance).

Long as you bring back the car with same amount of fuel they seem fine.

They have a desk at the airport.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just booked with AutoReisen for Fuerteventura after reading good reviews online. Prices were similar to the cheaper end of the big international firms (Thrifty etc) and I could upgrade the insurance to zero excess cover for €2/day - so less than the cost of a separate package.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cheers guys
    I would have used AutoRe / Pluscar , but in my case, they have no cars available, any car!!!

Gonna give one of the big firms ago.... (I will buy excess cover before I go), see what kind of sell they try and push on me in the airport! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure