Dual home insurance policy

Hi

I recently moved into a flat and just started thinking of a contents policy. I was thinking of subscribing to a building and contents policy to have full coverage. Partly because this is a ground floor flat (so most exposed for any drainage, plumbing, thefts or flood). Partly because the management team are horrible (hope no issue takes place however if i ever have to make a claim i don't want to be dealing with the estate agents).

From my awareness (other than car insurance), you can take more than one policy (this instance it is not that i have more than one policy any way as it is the freeholder which has the other policy). However, the only thing not allowed is to make a dual claim.

I tried calling a number of providers for prices. John Lewis and Rias said they wouldn't be able to do so as dual insurance is not allowed by the regulation. So they only proposed contents insurance.

However there were other competitors who said I can subscribe. The only thing is though if a claim is made it will be tedious because both insurance providers will be discussing within themselves the portion they have to bear.

So i am not sure here. Would i be allowed to take a home (building and contents) policy?

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If your lease says that the freeholder insures the building, there is no benefit to you insuring the building as well.

You should just get contents insurance.

(And just to be clear, if the lease says the freeholder must insure the building - the freeholder might instruct their managing agents to deal with it, on the freeholder's behalf.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure