Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vixsyclark wrote: »
    Can anyone help, has anyone had any success with American express ppi claims, ?

Post a new topic on the PPI board with your details or use the forum search for amex and see what comes up
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spam text not quoted

Tracking old charges is pointless, you WILL NOT GET BACK HISTORIC CHARGES, that was the result of the 2009 supreme court case which put an end to "unfair charges".

Current financial hardship you do not need to track charges as the bank will know them. Moreover, refund of charges is only one option, the bank do not have to do this, they can freeze future charges, help the person with a debt plan etc
  • Hi All

i know the chances are slim but I've read back on the forum as long as i can, and have put together this letter in the hope that Lloyds will help.

What are your thoughts before i send it?

Thanks in Advance.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: xxxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxxx

I am writing to request that you repay all the charges in relation to direct debits, unauthorised overdrafts and standing orders that have been applied to my account over the years.

As I am currently, and have for many years been in financial hardship; I have been reliant on overdrafts and credit. Over the years as a result of financial hardship I have regularly missed direct debits and payments from my accounts and had to use overdraft facilities and unauthorised overdrafts, and as a result I incurred many charges for doing so, In addition I also have had several periods when the charges and fees from Lloyds have sent me into unauthorised overdrafts.

I’ve had to take out loans to cover debts and am still paying one of those off with a rather high APR with Lloyds, but it is the only loan Lloyds could offer me at the time to sort out my finances, I used the loan to pay off my overdrafts but as they were left on my account available to use, I found myself having no option but to use them to pay for necessities and feed my family and pay the bills, resulting in me falling deeper into financial hardship. I have always worked as an adult to support my wife and children, and have been at my place of work for 13 years but still find myself missing payments and direct debits so they are returning unpaid, and the amount of charges and fees I pay across my accounts play a part in that. The new system for daily charging of overdrafts has not helped me at all and keeps making me go into unauthorised overdrafts.

I have been sent CCJ letters by my water supplier on 2 separate occasions (I have enclosed one for reference) over the last few years and had to borrow money from family to pay them off as to not be hit with a CCJ on my file, and this month have missed several direct debits as a result of insufficient funds, one of them being the water again. My wife has had to set up a payment plan for our Council Tax, and she is herself living in her overdraft with Lloyds on a monthly basis too. We are also in arrears for our utilities, Gas and Electric, which again we missed the payments for this month (I have enclosed copies of letters relating to these for reference)

My regular Disability Living Allowence payments of approx. £175 every 4 weeks for being registered with a disability, xxxxxxxx, stopped around November 2017 to move to PIP (Personal Independent Payments) but I am still in the process of applying for this as there was an error on their part but I am not entitled to back pay despite them losing my application form, so this drop in income has not helped me in any way. In addition to this my condition, xxxxxxxxxxx, is affected by stress, and worrying about finances daily is not helping my condition at all.

It just seems that we are in a vicious cycle of debt, charges and fees that I cannot see an end to anytime soon.

Therefore, I recently requested a breakdown of the charges and fees I have had on my Lloyds accounts and was shocked to find out that I had paid over £11600 in charges and fees to Lloyds (not including cost of packaged accounts) across 3 accounts. It was also noticed that there was numerous times huge proportions of my income was taken in charges including a 60 day period where over £450 in charges were taken from just one account, £100 in another account in the same period, and £140 in another account in the same period, totaling £690 in 60 days, that’s an average of £345 for a month. I have since continued to incur charges across all my accounts on a monthly basis. I really feel that having these charges over the years, and still currently having them, has not helped my financial situation and am hoping that Lloyds, which has been my bank since being a child can help.

Therefore, I ask that as a gesture of goodwill that Lloyds repay me the charges and fees totaling £11600 that I have paid, so that I can start getting my finance in order, meaning my wife, children and I can move forward with our lives.

Yours faithfully
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    InfoFinder wrote: »

What are your thoughts before i send it?

Don't send it.

Instead, send a letter outlining how you are in current financial hardship and ask them to help. Keep the letter a lot more succinct so that they are more likely to read and understand it. They will then review your circumstances and then act accordingly.

But there is no point in asking for a full refund of all charges and fees.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    InfoFinder wrote: »
    I ask that as a gesture of goodwill that Lloyds repay me the charges and fees totaling £11600 that I have paid
    I can assure you that the Bank won't be refunding you over £11k as a "gesture of goodwill"! :eek:

The most you can hope to receive is a refund of perhaps the last six months of Bank Charges. Historical hardship is irrelevant.
    Re-write your letter detailing only your current financial plight. The Bank will then examine your finances to see what they can do to help.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You can complain separately about packaged bank accounts
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I recently claimed compensation from National Westminster Bank for package account fees that we had be paying monthly for 13 years. I did this through Resolver and yesterday I received a letter telling me that they had refunded £3,043,43 into my account, I have now changed my account to one without fees. Thank you very much Martin Lewis, you really are a people's champion.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sprogsmum wrote: »
    I recently claimed compensation from National Westminster Bank for package account fees that we had be paying monthly for 13 years. I did this through Resolver and yesterday I received a letter telling me that they had refunded £3,043,43 into my account, I have now changed my account to one without fees. Thank you very much Martin Lewis, you really are a people's champion.

Well done. However, this thread is not about packaged bank account fees.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I sent a letter to my bank 3 weeks ago asking for my chargrs back as we sre suffering severe hardship atm.. but havent had a reply yet. What shall i do now
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I sent a letter to my bank 3 weeks ago asking for my chargrs back as we sre suffering severe hardship atm.. but havent had a reply yet. What shall i do now

you would expect acknowledgement within a week. Then arranging a telephone appointment and time for them to analyse your spending habits.

No reply would suggest either they have not got it or you have not had their reply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback