Deposit/pay-in to someone else’s Lloyds account

Options
2»

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Immediate Deposit Machines (IDM) in Lloyds that you can use without a card with just the sort code and account number will only allow 50 notes per paying in, so £1000 in £20 - £500 in £5, so you will need to pay in more then once if using the IDM.

The other option could be the Envelope Paying In system (EPI), which you could use to put in the total amount, writing the sort code and account number on the paying in slip and using the drop box system (not all branches still have these as the IDM, is used more as its immediate and doesn't require a cashier to pay the money in, some branches are removing cashiers and only have paying in machines)

Without knowing the branch, its hard to know which option would be more suitable, but the IDM machines are in every branch, but will need to split the deposits in to two or more payments.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Wowos wrote: »
    I do have a good reason which is paying the money back. I thought this was your suggestion not to pay above a thousand. I do not have a problem doing it at once but since you suggested it may cause trouble, why cause trouble?
    I transfer via TransferWise no problems but it looks like the banks in the UK do not like to receive money from strangers.

I only said that some branches would ask you some questions for a grand or more - my local branch does not have one of those deposit machines so you would in that instance have to go to a cashier to pay in.
    Other banks will not let you pay in to somebody else's account.
  • Wowos
    Wowos Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    The Immediate Deposit Machines (IDM) in Lloyds that you can use without a card with just the sort code and account number will only allow 50 notes per paying in, so £1000 in £20 - £500 in £5, so you will need to pay in more then once if using the IDM.

The other option could be the Envelope Paying In system (EPI), which you could use to put in the total amount, writing the sort code and account number on the paying in slip and using the drop box system (not all branches still have these as the IDM, is used more as its immediate and doesn't require a cashier to pay the money in, some branches are removing cashiers and only have paying in machines)

Without knowing the branch, its hard to know which option would be more suitable, but the IDM machines are in every branch, but will need to split the deposits in to two or more payments.

Westie983

Thanks for that info. Looks like this is my best option especially if those Instant Deposit Machines are accessible 24/7. I land close to 4pm and by the time I go through passport control and change USD to GBP banks may be closed.

I have one more question out of topic.

I am going to exchange my USD at Thomas Exchange Global. Are they known for fair rates or shall I go somewhere else?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would just continue to use Transferwise (or some other electronic payment method), changing cash will always get you a worse rate than the best electronic payments, and as you've previously found you can do it without any hassle.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Wowos wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. Looks like this is my best option especially if those Instant Deposit Machines are accessible 24/7. I land close to 4pm and by the time I go through passport control and change USD to GBP banks may be closed.

I have one more question out of topic.

I am going to exchange my USD at Thomas Exchange Global. Are they known for fair rates or shall I go somewhere else?

I thought ATM 's were open 24/7 but the immediate deposits I have seen are inside the branch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure