IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC refuse my appeal - what now?

swynjones
swynjones Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 10 August 2018 at 9:47PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi can anyone help me please? A couple of weeks ago my car was parked on a local dentist's (now a BUPA dentist) at approx. 4.30pm on a Sunday afternoon when the dentist was closed. Apparently you need a permit to park there - the signs are on the building wall but as there are a lot of dental practice signage there as well it's not that clear. Anyway I got a ticket for £60 if paid within 14 days and would then rise to £100. I panicked a bit as I really can't afford to pay £60 never mind £100. I looked at the main MSE site which recommended not ignoring it so I wrote an appeal letter to UKPC where I stated the charge was disproportionate and not commercially justifiable. I've had a letter back rejecting the appeal stating that the signage is fully compliant with BPA Code of Practice and stating that the Supreme Court confirms that parking charges are fully enforceable (mentioning ParkingEye v Beavis) and they don't have to reflect any loss.
I didn't see this forum advising you not to do anything for 2 weeks until after I had the rejection letter :( What are my options now?

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have they given you a POPLA code? If so use it. Use the information in the Newbies thread to formulate an appeal.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to learn about the game you are now caught up in and how to deal with this

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Concentrate on #1 & #3 in the FAQ.

#3 advises on second appeals to popla
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:37PM
    Surely if you were having dental treatment, especially under BUPA, the dentist would arrange to have the parking charge cancelled? Go and ask him to get it cancelled.

Or are you telling us that the car was dumped there, on someone else's property, because it suited to do that? Any idea why these pariahs exist?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • I wasn't having dental treatment - the practice was actually closed - late Sunday afternoon.
  • Umkomaas
    swynjones wrote: »
    I wasn't having dental treatment - the practice was actually closed - late Sunday afternoon.

Why park there then if you weren't having treatment? Wise up, everywhere, private parking facilities are being infested by parking companies setting mantraps for the unwary, or fly-parkers who don't give a f*ck for others' private property just so they can park their cars as and wherever they feel like. Now you've lined yourself up for up to 6 years of harassment, grief and the potential for a legal case against you.

You need to get this killed off at POPLA, then respect others' property, and in future, read very carefully the signs on any private parking facility and comply fully with the requirements. It's the only way you (or I) can help put these pariahs out of business!

Surely you realised I didn't for one moment think you were having dental treatment on a Sunday!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Umkomaas - I was under the impression that this forum was to help people. I'm not a fly-parker who doesn't give a f*ck for others' private property - for years this piece of land has been used by many to park to nip into town. I was under a lot of stress on that day due to personal circumstances and was distracted so made a genuine mistake - however all the signs were on the building and not where I parked so were not obvious to me.
    I went on the main MSE site first and used their template - I didn't see anything there about not responding for 2 weeks.
    It wasn't til after the rejection that I found this forum and now realise that as I've unknowingly admitted I was driving that I probably won't win a POPLA appeal either.
    I don't appreciate your sarcasm - "Surely you realised I didn't for one moment think you were having dental treatment on a Sunday! ".
    Anyway - thanks for the advice "Now you've lined yourself up for up to 6 years of harassment, grief and the potential for a legal case against you." - expensive lesson learnt - thanks for nothing.
  • Umkomaas
    edited 10 August 2018 at 11:22PM
    for years this piece of land has been used by many to park to nip into town. I was under a lot of stress on that day due to personal circumstances and was distracted so made a genuine mistake
    So speak to the dentist and tell him that, maybe he'll be sympathetic and help you out. But you might also question why he's employed scammers to keep people off his land.

Sometimes it's tough love on here and it might just save you from such mantraps in future.
    I'm not a fly-parker who doesn't give a f*ck for others' private property

Maybe you were just one of these -
    setting mantraps for the unwary

I didn't suggest which one you were, you jumped to that! Should I read anything into it?
    thanks for nothing
    You might, in the fullness of time, revise that sarcasm. I expect it will save you quite a bit.

Why not answer what waamo asked you? Regulars don't ask questions, giving of their free time, just to be ignored!
    Have they given you a POPLA code? If so use it. Use the information in the Newbies thread to formulate an appeal.

Here's the critical advice that I've given for you, that your red mist seems to have blinded you from.
    You need to get this killed off at POPLA
    So you just need to get on with it! Get it out of your life.

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 11:22PM
    swynjones wrote: »
    .....- for years this piece of land has been used by many to park to nip into town. I was under a lot of stress on that day due to personal circumstances and was distracted so made a genuine mistake ,....

Mitigation like this won't sway popla!

If you don't win at Popla then the next stage is the unpleasantness of debt collectors and then a court case to contend with.

You were being prepared for that!

(This forum is quite separate to the main site section on parking.

Shame you didn't come here first!)
  • Waamo yes I do have a POPLA code but having read everything on the thread about not admitting you're the driver then do I have any chance of winning an appeal?
    Thanks for your advice Quentin and yes I'm kicking myself for not coming here first :( I'm fully aware of the consequences of not winning at POPLA which is why I posted on here. I can't really afford the £60 so really don't want to pay £100 if I don't win and due to my personal circumstances I definitely don't want to face debt collectors or court cases.
    So Umkomaas in your opinion if having more or less admitted to being the driver do I have any chance whatsoever at winning at POPLA? I'm not expecting anyone to do it for me but from what I've read most people win their appeals by not admitting to being the driver.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Admitting being the driver makes a win at POPLA marginally more difficult but far from impossible.

You really need to do a little reading about this. It's all in the Newbies thread and this is very winnable.

Paying the £60 will put you on a mugs list. They will chase you for more at some point. We see it so often it's amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure