Slander

Comments

• I am not ignoring unions advice was just asking if you's thought I could speak to him about it first or wether I should keep quiet until he receives letter as the committee will probably take week to get round to issuing him with letter.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    kylestucon wrote: »
    Me, my family, bar staff and all committee are allowed to enter competitions. The prize money wasn't short it was correct I don't run any of the lotteries or competitions.
    None of that was the commented point. The point was that in a well managed situation, none of this would be allowed to happen. It simply invites speculation that people in positions of trust are abusing them.
  • sangie595
    I am not ignoring unions advice was just asking if you's thought I could speak to him about it first or wether I should keep quiet until he receives letter as the committee will probably take week to get round to issuing him with letter.
    I think it's fairly obvious that the answer to that is no.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What exactly do you hope to achieve?

Name cleared? - just stop entering the draws
    Money? - I'm not sure you'll get much and it will probably cost a lot. (Consider that you would need to convince other people to give evidence to what he said; there's also the chances of misinterpretation)
    Getting him sacked? - Well that's not up to you.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Me, my family, bar staff and all committee are allowed to enter competitions. The prize money wasn't short it was correct I don't run any of the lotteries or competitions.

But according to your post on another thread it was short: ' I have now found out he has been saying that we paid him over £100 short ( he was paid about £40 short which he was told about as some people hadn't payed and some had dropped out)'

There seem to be four choices here:
    • do nothing and ignore it
    • you take it up with the employee as a disciplinary matter (although I suspect you don't have a disciplinary procedure, in common with very many other small and informal outfits), preferably with the backing of the committee
    • you try the legal letter route
    • something else, based on your knowledge of the person concerned, your committee and (most importantly) how you could cope with each of the options.

They all have downsides and the decision needs to be reached in consultation with the committee, however unwilling they may be to become involved. This character obviously has a grievance and perhaps giving him the chance to air it formally might take some of the heat out of his simmering - or fan the flames. You know him, nobody here does.

Entirely agree with the other comments that employees and family members should steer well clear of any competition where there is any chance they could be accused of rigging the result, no matter how ill founded or improbable.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, don't speak to him first.

Raise it with your employer (the committee?) as a formal grievance. they can then investigate and if appropriate, discipline him, up to and including dismissing him if they consider it appropriate.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • The committee say that it's up to me to discipline or sack him. They have said that they employ me but I employ the staff as bar manager and they just pay the wages
  • sangie595
    The committee say that it's up to me to discipline or sack him. They have said that they employ me but I employ the staff as bar manager and they just pay the wages
    Hee, hee, hee... An interesting interpretation of the law that won't hold any water at all when the lawyers arrive.

If you take any action against him that will simply confirm, in some people's eyes, that what he said it's true and that you are retaliating. This is the employers responsibility, and the committee are the employer.

This place sounds like a shambles with a disaster waiting in the wings....
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    From the legal perspective though... How long has this employee been there?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Hee, hee, hee... An interesting interpretation of the law that won't hold any water at all when the lawyers arrive.

If you take any action against him that will simply confirm, in some people's eyes, that what he said it's true and that you are retaliating. This is the employers responsibility, and the committee are the employer.

This place sounds like a shambles with a disaster waiting in the wings....

To an extent yes. However most committee run organisations take the approach that the committee appoints the most senior member of staff who, in turn, has authority to hire, discipline and fire the other employees.

Take a private school for example. Normally the governors appoint (and if necessary dismiss) the headmaster. All other staff are answerable to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure