Options

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    polly1976 wrote: »
    you can cut bits off them use ribbon off gift sets i could go on and on lol
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:You sound like me polly, I'm always saving as much as I can off things, I had some nice red bibbon off my sons birthday cake, cut that into small strips then rubber stamped it in silver, looked brilliant ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • polly1976
    polly1976 Posts: 845 Forumite
    Options
    i never chuck things away problem is im running out of room lol my hubby going to set the spare room up as my craft room as soon as we can afford to buy a desk and more storage but getting into card making is the best thing i have done
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    polly1976 wrote: »
    Mumoftwo the card is beautiful really lovely im just doing a religous easter card for a neighbour its doing my head in and because shes paying me i want it to be perfect and im also very critical of my own work i drive my hubby mad lol

I know what you mean. I made Happy New Year cards for a Turkish restaurant last year and was so scared that he wouldn't like it or didn't think it was worth the money but it turned out he absolutely loved them and all his customers commented on them, so don't be too critical of yourself.

The design is the hardest part. Once you know what you want to do: formal, trendy, religious etc just start playing around. I tend to stick with similar techniques like: I start by covering the left hand side of the card with a nice paper, patterened, shiny, handmade. What do you have to make your Easter card? A bunny picture, a religious picture? Mount that on some matching card, then mount again on either a darker colour card or I have silver card that I use, or sparkly. If you have brads,they are good for livening a card up, or gems, just a couple.

Your card would look professional if you make an insert, just type a verse or Happy Easter (you might have to do it a few times to get it in the right place) cut it to fit inside the card and I usually stick a little picture on the left hand side of the insert to finish it off.

Sorry it it all sounds gobbledegook :o It's hard to describe without showing you. If you want to know more, let me know.
    shawtj2: poundland is good, the Works (don't know if you have these shops) You don't need much to start: My top list is: card, some nice patterned papers, souble sided tape or sticky dots, some stickers, some embelishments, like gems, flowers
  • mumoftwo
    Options
    I made a quick Easter card to show you what I mean. Looking at it close up, I can see I didn't quite cut the mount straight, oh well, maybe me just being critical..:grin:

100_2259.jpg
  • polly1976
    Options
    Mumoftwo your worse than me lol its perfect ive just finished a easter card its a religious 1 but for once i think its quite nice. Where did you get the pic of the bunny from and the wording?:rotfl:
  • polly1976
    Options
    Also mumoftwo where do you get your envolopes from for your larger cards??
  • mumoftwo
    Options
    The bunny and wording come from a peel off sheet of stickers from local craft shop. I have special pens that will colour the silver metal stickers, I just colour them before I peel them off. I coloured in the bunny once on white card with soufle pens. I buy packs of cards/matching envelopes when they are on special offer from craft shop. pack of 50. Not really sure where to get bigger envelopes seperately, poundland? WH Smith?

have you given your neighbour her card yet? Post a picture if you can, please, would love to see, I am sure it is gorgeous
  • polly1976
    Options
    mumoftwo thanks for replying so fast yes just posted her card and shes just phoned me she loves it ive taken some photos this morning so when my hubbys home from work he will post them for me. Im going to have a play around with tissue paper later on lets see wot disater i come up with lol :rotfl:
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    mumoftwo - lovely card...........I wouldn;t have noticed anything wrong with the mount at all. Afraid my Easter cards are a bit 'bland' by comparison.
    I printed some images off internet, mounted them on some coloured card, added the odd stick on ribbon, bit of peel off edging and they were done..............lol

shawtj2 - card making can be as cheap or expensive as you want it and as simple or involved as you want it. Look at a few hand made cards on sale and it gives you a rough idea of what to do. Friend of mine bought me a lot of lovely paper at Christmas...........for some cards I just stuck the pretty paper on some plain white card, ribbon down one side with an embellishment at the top and that was one card finished..........simple but effective I thought. I also got some sheets of music from Mums Yours magazine, tore pieces out, coloured them down with strong coffee and used them on some card layered with corragated card that I now start to hoard.
    Just let your imagination run riot..........and its fun:j
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Butterfliesarepretty
    Options
    My boss at work goes to card making classes and she recommended Asda for the £7 card making magazine, also she cuts the ribbons out of clothes that are used for hangers, she goes to a shop in ramsbottom near the train station for her bits and bobs and some decent scissors glue etc.
    Can't wait to start saving money.
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family