Will Moneygram issue affect rating?

Today I tried to send money(£200) to a friend abroad, via Moneygram. I later got an email saying the online transaction wasn't accepted and I was told I needed to go to a high street agent to make the transaction. Later I tried to log in but had some problems and ended up being locked out. I managed to talk to an online chat person, and she told me I could no longer use Moneygram, either online or on the High street, and wasn't able to tell me why.

I have an excellent credit rating, and my bank accepted the transaction at the time (I have very ample funds) so now I'm really worried. If this is going to show up on my rating, when can I expect to see that? And is there anything I can do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It won't appear on your credit files.

But depending on what they believe has happened, there could be something on CIFAS.
  • sclare
    sclare Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Okay. I've just looked up CIFAX and made an application for information. Thanks. I'd not heard of that before.

I must admit I'm very worried about any ripples that might spread from this. I've never had anything like this happen before. And I don't know how far information is shared. Ugh. I've managed to send my friend some money via WU instead (with whom I already had an account - serves me right for shopping around to try to get him a better rate) but I'm concerned as I will probably need to send more (he has had both his cards 'eaten' by ATMs over the last month) and I don't want to end up barred from every money transfer company if Moneygram share their info over the next day or two!
  • CIFAS markers will appear in your credit files.

But you don’t have a credit rating/score to be affected.

It may however hinder future applications for credit if indeed there is a marker against you
  • poggs
    poggs Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sclare wrote: »
    Okay. I've just looked up CIFAX and made an application for information. Thanks. I'd not heard of that before.

I must admit I'm very worried about any ripples that might spread from this. I've never had anything like this happen before. And I don't know how far information is shared. Ugh. I've managed to send my friend some money via WU instead (with whom I already had an account - serves me right for shopping around to try to get him a better rate) but I'm concerned as I will probably need to send more (he has had both his cards 'eaten' by ATMs over the last month) and I don't want to end up barred from every money transfer company if Moneygram share their info over the next day or two!

Just a quick point. Are you absolutely definitely sure its him you are sending the money too? its a well known fraud to take over someones email account and spam email the contacts claiming a fantastical story about being trapped abroad with no means to access money, or phones, but somehow managing to email.

THen requesting money be sent via western union or similar.

THe fraudster is incredibly believable. Speak to your friend via voice. dont just accept chat or similar as "proof"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure