Bills have tripled in my business

Comments

• Hamilton6137
    Hamilton6137 Posts: 11 Forumite
    They may be high usage equipment but that still doesn’t explain how my bills have tripled because they were the same high usage units that the previous bills were charging a reasonable amount for. Not to mention I’ve got rid of a shelving unit containing 12 old style strip lights that were built in. There’s also a couple of lights that don’t work and/or flicker regularly and one of the fridges started leaking water after I cleaned it but was still holding temperature so I didn’t bother investigating further.
  • Hamilton6137
    How would I be able to know if someone else is using my compressor?
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 July 2019 at 5:23PM
    Flat upstairs?

Did the old owner actually use heaters apart from 3 days a year, how powerful are the 2 heaters?

You have to turn it all off and check the meters at a standstill.

How would I be able to know if someone else is using my compressor?

He meant the power supply i think, Check no new wires have appeared from it going next door.
  • Hamilton6137
    I wouldn’t know where to start so it sounds like I will need to get an electrician in to investigate. Also as I worked with the previous owner for several years i know for a fact he consumed more energy than after I took over as he would have the computer running all day as well as two heaters in the winter because it gets pretty cold up here. The heaters are 2000w.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would have thought that £390 a month is about par for the course for a retail unit. That about 1700 kwh - if 6 days a week 12 hours a day -about 6 kwh an hour (ignoring night time use of compressors and security lighting

I would question what you had been told by the previous owner
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can you get some old meter reading from the previous owner just to compare usage? Your units consumed should be half by the sounds of it.

Unless the new retail fridges are gobbling it up, and he only had ones with doors? So while old they where more efficient?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Get an energy monitor (an LED monitoring one if your meter has a pulsing LED) shut all circuits off, then enable one at a time to see what the consumption is. Check if the fridges come on and off or are running 24/7 because they are on their last legs?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    markin wrote: »
    ................. Your units consumed should be half by the sounds of it.

Markin - how do you justify that ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    one of the fridges started leaking water after I cleaned it but was still holding temperature so I didn’t bother investigating further.

The fridge may be holding temperature but only by running continuously because its insulation is waterlogged. That could be costing you a fortune.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,575 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The £390 per month cost works out at about 53kWh per day after you take off VAT and the standing charge.
    Of course that is using estimated reads and you say the actual are a bit higher (do give the actual reads, otherwise you'll face a large catch-up bill later). Just take readings at the start and end of a normal day and see if that figure is realistic. Then take readings before and after switching various appliances off for about an hour. That may help you identify what is using most power. The first check is to switch everything off and verify that your meter is not recording any usage. If it is, something else is running through your meter.
    If you switch any fridges off, don't forget to switch them BACK ON again afterwards! :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure