Barclays Bank (merged)

Comments

• I'd like a Barclays Buddy please!

I have a court date for my hearing -22nd December in Cardiff CC.:j

However, I have only just discovered the court bundle I ned to submit. Few hours work there!. I stupidly (yeah, I know, I know) didn't reserch the particulars of claim in the original MCOL on line form so Barclays have lodged a defence and a request for the hearing to be struck out all at the same time.

Trying to decide wether to make an ammendment to the initial MCOL form (£35 - not bothered about the cost, just don't really want to postpone things any further).

Whaddyathink?
  • Does anyone know whether barclays can/will close an account if I reclaim charges on a barclaycard?? Thanks!
  • I'm mid claim with Barclaycard, on behalf of OH, they have made a token refund of SOME of the charges, they put it on to the card, so I am assuming they will not close the account, however the new "limit" has gone down, no skin off our nose, we haven't used it for years! Just in case though, open another account somewhere else!
    Sig ah Sig Ahhh
  • My Barclaycard was closed shortly after I made my claim. I hadn't used the card for over a year though so not too bothered.
  • Barclaycard has offered me a partial refund and has quoted the OFT's ruling. Do I pursue this further or do I just accept the offer they have made? Has anyone had success in having all of their charges refunded and if so, at what stage?
  • furndire wrote:
    Rocky67 you claim your £10 back when you have totalled up your charges - well that's what I did for DD.

Yes - of course it's yet another charge.
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
  • Don't think I'll have to bother once I get all the charges back - it'll put me back in credit again.
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am currently wrangling with Barclays, and have had some classic moments. I sincerely recommend https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk as a fantastic resource when going down this road. The wealth of experience that people there have with virtually all aspects of the process is amazing. Once I have settled I will be donating a % of what I get back to ensure the site can stay up and running.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes, malvena, I would not worry about other accounts with the same organisation, whether they are loans, credit cards, whatever. I believe that any attempt to close these would be bullying and that your local, maybe even national, press would be more than happy to cause an enormous stink on your behalf. When I was a local journalist we would have gone to town on it. And banks really can't afford for any more bad PR! :rotfl:

Closing the account you are claiming on is a bit more of a grey area, as they might be able to claim that you have misused the account. ALWAYS open a parachute account. There are some very good basic accounts around, personally I opened mine with my local Building Society, who were extremely helpful and don't levy these ridiculous penalty charges in the first place.

If your bank does threaten closure of your account, do not panic, ask for an appointment to discuss it with your branch manager. If they still play the bullies, then, as before, go to the local press and cause merry hell for them! Incidentally, although I know many cases where banks, including Barclays, have threatened to close accounts, I know of none where this threat has actually been carried out.

Okay, so a bit of lightheartedness from my journey so far:

Following up the same letter as nadeembutt got I called and challenged a call centre person to translate it into plain english. She offered to put me on to a supervisor. I said okay. Supervisor told me she would have to get back to me. I asked if the call was logged. She said yes. I said, well don't worry about the call back, then. I think I made my point ;)

Bank statements arrived with a six month chunk missing. I called the call centre to request that they send them. Was told that they would be £5 each. Explained about my Subject Access Request. Was told that this would still be £5 each. Asked whether they really wanted action taken against them for breach of the DPA as well as everything else? Surprisingly enough, they backed down.

Called to check my overdraft interest rates for the last three years and got offered a loan, a credit card and a 'premium' bank account. Pointed out that I was in the process of suing the bank for stealing my money. Got told that this was irrelevent as I was still pre-approved for the products :shocked: Needless to say, I declined.

Went into branch to get aforementioned interest rates. Personal banker casually enquires why I need them. Tell her. "Oh my god, that's so cool. Can you do that? Good for you! Wow! Keep us posted on how you get on, won't you?!" She wasn't even being sarcastic...

Seriously, guys, hang in there. You are the wronged party, don't ever let anybody make you feel otherwise. And yes, they might well try and put you off your claim using threats or inpenetrable legal jargon, but these are just sideshows to the main game. DO NOT let them get you down!

Anyone has any problems with Barclays, or just wants a buddy who's further down the line with the process, PM me. I don't bite unless provoked and I know how important it is to have people supporting you in this.

Silver x

hey all, can i be a barclays buddy too, ive just finished typing the second letter after receiving the standard data protection act letter from them. They did return my cheque to me but also debited my account £5 so i guess they have charged me then. How long does it generally take for them to get in contact after the second letter? and do they always wait until it gets to the court stage or have people been offered money before that, thanx
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just read parts of the letter above - love the bit in purple and in green. That showed someone with confidence in what they were doing.
  • Hi guys, hope all is going well. I have a quick query re my claim with Barclays:

The stage I am at is that having sent the 1st letter (Prelim request) )to Barclays they have made me a settlement offer of less than 1/2 my claim. Now I have no intention of accepting this offer but my question is what do I do next:

Do I send the Rejection Letter
    OR
    do I just send the LBA once the 14 days runs out
    OR
    do I send them both?

Cheers guys!

Simon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing