Barclays Bank (merged)

Options
hi, im still shakin, but i have just posted a letter to barclays asking for 200 pounds back. i am struggling with money at the moment and thought i would try, i felt strong this morning but i dont now. i am a worrier and i hope i can cope with this. how long before i hear something back from them.

i am 1200 overdrawn. on benefits and panicking, help.

money saving rules

Comments

• stacey21_2
    Options
    hi,
    was the letter for bank charges? for being overdrawn etc?
    Did you include copies of your statements with the charges highlighted?
    If so then it is likely you will get the money back, check out the bank charges reclaimed succes stories forum too to read other peoples experiences.
    hope this helps :)
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • Ropey_3
    Options
    I'm about to start down this road with Barclays. From what I've heard, get a parachute account in place, they can get a bit shirty.

Best of luck.
  • nadeembutt
    Options
    Could someone please help me? I sent barclays a Data Protection Act 1998
    Subject Access Request with a £10 cheque.

Just recieved a letter from them basically saying that

"please be aware that the bank is not under an obligation to present information according to any particular format.Therefore your request to assemble a schedule of charges is turned aside.

They go on to say we'll give you a copy of your bank statemetns for free but

"Some statement information from the period prior to and possible during 1999 to 2000 is manually stored in the form of microfiche and does not fall within the data subject access provisions of the DPA"

"also states the DPA does not oblige the bank to comment about internal policies and procedures"

"Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute "personal data" under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request"

Someone please help me and tell me what on earth they are saying in laymans terms and what my next step should be?

Should i wait for my statements and then calculate and send the schedule of charges and second letter requesting they pay my the monies owed??
  • samtman
    samtman Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Thats what I got but they enclosed my statements on a print out and my cheque back but unsure what to do next
  • jasun
    jasun Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays will send you all the statements you want, going back 12 years if you want (that is how far banking systems have to keep data for), for £5 anyway... no need to send DPA request, it's their standard policy. They are one of the few that do though. Cahoot for example, wanted £2 per statement. I sent a letter stating they could charge no more than £10 and they sent them all for free :)
  • jasun
    jasun Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    samtman wrote:
    Thats what I got but they enclosed my statements on a print out and my cheque back but unsure what to do next

Total the charges up, request them back, if no joy, open a case online. You don't need to detail them all, as there is limited space online. You can do it later. They will probably file a defence, then you'll need to fill in the allocation questionnaire. Rather straight forward. Then the date will be announced. After that you should get an offer of out of court settlement. As long as they offer the full amount, with only the point of keeping the offer confidential, you should sign it.

If they offer less or any other conditions, reject it until they offer it on the basis of the full amount. If there are any other extra conditions, you would also probably want to reject it and hit court, but it'll probably not get to that stage as they have too many reasons to stop it getting that far, including: cost, probability of not winning, you being able to talk about it to the press, etc.

If you need any help, there are enough of us that have been through it before. I've got a 2nd Barclays case open at the moment, not sure anyone else has got as far as doing a 2nd one against a bank yet, so we'll see how this one fairs.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you look on https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk you will find that people still get their money after refusing to be gagged. There are plenty on CAG that have got money back for more than one account. There is a specific forum on there for Barclays bank it will be well worth you while looking on there.,
  • Rocky67_2
    Options
    I reuested a list of charges from Barclays and got a stack of statements but didn't get my cheque back.
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i'm going to be doing this soon. i once told nationwide that they would have to take me to court to get all the charges back (it was only charges for returned DD) on an account i'd stopped using i know now why they let me off..
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • Rocky67_2
    Options
    I've just typed up (well inserted right bits into a template letter) and going to post it to Barclays today - wish me luck too.
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure