PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• offbeatgirl
    Options
    Hello all, I was thinking about digging my slow cooker out again: there's something about autumn that makes me crave casseroles!

I was wondering how to treat dried pulses in a slow cooker. I imagine that lentils can be thrown in with other ingredients, but what about dried chickpeas or aduki beans? Do people still soak and boil these before adding them?

• saving-grace
    Options

1 Got lots of chicken breast with the skin on, should i remove it or leave it on for most casserole type recepies? (might do a tagine)

2 Anyone made a thai curry in one using coconut milk? if so how did it turn out, and would you add extra water?
    thanks , can't wait to get started.

I like to remove the skin because if left on it releases a lot of fat into the cooking liquid and anyway its soft and flabby and unappetising at the end of cooking in my opinion.

Answers to pinkparrots coconut milk question anyone? I've been wondering if its alright to put coconut milk in the slow cooker. I know you can't use real milk but coconut milk is entirely different thing so maybe its okay. Has anyone tried it?
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Hi Saving-Grace
    thanks for this , I think I remove the skin , as i dont like it really even when its crispy, and I am also doing slimming world so do want the extra calories.

Hope someone else can help with the coconut milk question as really want to do my thai curry in it soon.
    thanks
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Re: coconut milk: I haven't tried it, but what I would say is definitely don't add any more water than you would add in a conventional recipe. If anything, add less - liquids do not evapourate in a slow cooker in the same way they do on the stove, so it is best always to add less, not more.

Personally I would not do thai curry in a slow cooker because I think you'd lose out on the freshness, crispness and 'zinginess' (for want of a better word!) of all that is lovely about traditional wok-cooked food!

However - I'd really like to hear how you get on with it!! :)
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    Thanks Annie- never thought about that , might make the veg in it go a bit soft etc.

Might give it a go and see what happens., will let you know.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    Can I make risotto in the slow cooker, I am going to make a chicken and bacon risotto tomorrow but would love to just stick it all in and leave.....
  • annie-c
    Options
    Can I make risotto in the slow cooker, I am going to make a chicken and bacon risotto tomorrow but would love to just stick it all in and leave.....

Again, personally I wouldn't. It is important with risotto rice to add the stock a ladle at a time in order to achieve the creaminess and the right consistency. It only takes 20 mins to make a risotto once the prep is done - I don't think much is gained by using the slow cooker.

On the whole, I prefer to use the slow cooker for things that either taste better after long slow cooking, eg tough joints of meat, or that at least aren't impaired by it, eg soups and casseroles. It's a handy thing to have in the kitchen, but it doesn't do justice to every dish. ;)
  • annie-c
    Options
    Hello all, I was thinking about digging my slow cooker out again: there's something about autumn that makes me crave casseroles!

I was wondering how to treat dried pulses in a slow cooker. I imagine that lentils can be thrown in with other ingredients, but what about dried chickpeas or aduki beans? Do people still soak and boil these before adding them?

The really key thing is NOT to throw kidney beans or soya beans into the slow cooker as the boiling is necessary to eliminate toxins. Otherwise the issue is more about the length of cooking time needed. Personally I use lentils all the time but haven't tried anything like chickpeas.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quick - help! I have a whole chicken I got cheap today in somerfield, sell by date today so I have to do it in the SC overnight for tomorrow's lunch. I have put about a cup of chicken stock in the bottom, and there are a couple of lemon wedges in there too. Will that suffice? Should I have it on low or is auto ok?

Mines the £8.99 one from argos, as the old one packed up last weekend. Used it twice already and I'm really happy with it but I have only done a whole bird once before in the old SC. In this one it is upright rather than lying down fkat, so I have put the breasts nearest the bottom of the dish so they don't dry out.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • lissa75
    lissa75 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    You could have just roasted it and lt it go cold for tomorrow then heated it slowly in gravy - that's me for you, next day chicken as long as cooked had no problems.

Let me know how it goes as only done stews etc. Good luck x
    £17,164.40 17.01.07
    - OMG - Just worked it out - breakdown time or get !!!!!! into gear!!!!!!:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure