Gas & Electricity Money Saving Discussion Area

Comments

• Hi Martin. As you have brought the subject of gas and electric price comparison do I take it that all the companies have now put up their prices and that we now have a 'level playing field' I'm still with British Gas who were the first to bring in the increases but I did not want to shop around until I knew when the time was right.

Is the time right now?
    Bernie, you obviously missed the "Latest Money Saving Articles  

Cheapest Gas & Elec. plus Cashback. Time to Switch
    In just five minutes you can find your cheapest supplier, saving up to 20% a year, and grab a cash kickback. There's really no excuse.
    " on the Homepage.

Clicking on the -> More link there would've taken you to Martin's latest advice.

Which, in summary, is Time to Switch
    30 years, 217 days!
  • US4
    US4 Posts: 84 Forumite
    just switched to Powergen after using the recommended link "Energyhelpline/Cashback*"

and was expecting £20 cashback to me.

But subsequently reading the full article. it appears that the link I was directed to pays cashback to some undisclosed charity
    (the link gets redirected to switchand give.com without warning you)

A bit misleading Martin ??!!

Ricardoro, I too was tempted to switch via Energyhelpline for the £10 dual fuel cashback, but the link from Martin's article also takes me to switchandgive.com . Martin, what's the correct web address ?

• US4
    US4 Posts: 84 Forumite
    according to Energyhelpline.com , Powergen cannot be joined via their site, so no £10 cashback available
  • Smartasss
    Smartasss Posts: 873 Forumite
    You can get £40 in Curry's vouchers for switching to Powergen via their site.

See this THREAD
  • loon_2
    loon_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    energyhelpline/switch and give/simply switch.... this website isn't too bad, but with reference to last post, did you search under 'search all tariffs' in the drop down box. otherwise, it defaults to exclude non standard tariffs.

if you are wondering what non standard tariffs are, then they appear to be all non-standard tariffs that do not belong to scottish power. ie: you can do a price comaprison on exclude non standard tariffs and it will show spower online/capped/standard tariffs, where as it will only show powergen age concern/standard.

also, if you call them they use the exclude non standard tariffs search, as they always say scottish power are cheaper.

as to why all scottish power tariffs are classed as standard tariffs and other companies are not is still under investigation.
    Beware the green?
  • loon_2
    sorry, got my web sites/companies confused. energyhelpline/switch and give is fine...

its simplyswitch/simply energy who are linked to spower. these are also the people who advertise in the paper, and on occasions ring you, claiming to be independent.

but no probs with switch and give.
    Beware the green?
  • Bani_2
    Bani_2 Posts: 35
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I too used the energyhelpline link, but somewhere got swithched to switchandgive - no mention of any cashback!
    Success anyway - switching to Scottish Power saves me 13% they say, but also used their price guarantee to Dec 05 as I can only see prices going up further!
    Thanks Martin
  • loon_2
    Bani... who supplies you at the moment?

it's just that spower can make a saving, but 13% saving on their capped prices seems a bit too high. Mainly because, scottish power charge a premium of 6.5p per product/day (£47.45) just to keep the prices capped. Even though unit rates are held, this charge recently increased by 30% from5p product/day, showing that the capped price tariff is not 100% capped.

Also, companies such as powergen offer their own capped prices and DO NOT charge any premiums, hence making them cheaper.

I advise checking at least three different site before switching.
    Beware the green?
  • I'm currently with Powergen on a dual fuel setup and after checking out the comparisons, it seems they're the cheapest for me! Ah well... was worth a try... :-/
  • Loon, you are misleading people over Powergen.

They do have a Capped Tariff (prices held to 2006), but it is approx. 10% more expensive than their cheapest "on line" tariff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure