PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Surveyors not offering home buyers report

Options
Hi

We've progress enough in the house purchase to start looking for a surveyor. The house is a 3 bed 1930s semi that has modern bathrooms and kitchen. We decided the home buyers report should be enough. However when we looked for near by surveyors (contacted 6 so far all from the RICS website) they all say they only do the full survey. Quotes are coming in for around £900+ and we're based in South West London (zone 4)

It's this normal?

Thanks

Comments

• Bradyle
    Bradyle Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I should clarify that all the surveyors say this £900 survey is still a level 2 survey but just much better than a home buyers one
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not normal no. Seems strange.

Certainly a surveyor can choose which survey type they wish offer, and can (indeed should) offer their professionalopinion/advice as to which is most appropriate.

But if you are adament as to what you want, I'm sure there's a surveyor out there who will do the survey you want.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you getting a mortgage? Can the valuer also do the survey? This is often done at a reduced rate.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    Its because they are in high demand and don't want to spend a day out of the office for peanuts.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 March 2019 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Bradyle wrote: »
    We've progress enough in the house purchase to start looking for a surveyor.
    Bradyle wrote: »
    It's this normal?

Not really. Why is the lender not arranging for the survey?

You would normally only arrange your own if you wanted a something more detailed than the homebuyers survey - which, in reality, is nothing more than a superficial valuation to protect the interest of the lender.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Not really. Why is the lender not arranging for the survey?

You would normally only arrange your won if you wanted something better than the homebuyers survey - which, in reality, is nothing more than a superficial valuation to protect the interest of the lender.

I didn't think the lenders were obliged to provide you with their valuation/survey? At least mine didn't.
    Know what you don't
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    I didn't think the lenders were obliged to provide you with their valuation/survey? At least mine didn't.

No but most do.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »

They do not provide you with it, but it is the norm for them to arrange it at your cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure