33 units per day? Please Advise

Hi, I moved into a 2 bedroom, electric only flat on the 7/12/18 and received my electric bills.

British Gas are charging me £600 from 7/12/18 up until 28/2/19.

I am querying this I only really use one bedroom, lounge and kitchen. I have a washing machine which I use 2 maybe 3 times per week. I don't have all my electric heaters on, I have just one on at a time. They're brand new so I doubt they would eat electric that much.

British Gas are saying this bill is correct that I use 33 units per day. I think this is incorrect.

They have said they can send someone out to check if my meter is working which is fine, however if there's nothing wrong with it then they will charge me £75 which is making me nervous about agreeing to this...even though there is an issue somewhere.

Any experience with this or any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    kerance wrote: »
    Hi, I moved into a 2 bedroom, electric only flat on the 7/12/18 and received my electric bills.

British Gas are charging me £600 from 7/12/18 up until 28/2/19.

I am querying this I only really use one bedroom, lounge and kitchen. I have a washing machine which I use 2 maybe 3 times per week. I don't have all my electric heaters on, I have just one on at a time. They're brand new so I doubt they would eat electric that much.

British Gas are saying this bill is correct that I use 33 units per day. I think this is incorrect.

They have said they can send someone out to check if my meter is working which is fine, however if there's nothing wrong with it then they will charge me £75 which is making me nervous about agreeing to this...even though there is an issue somewhere.

Any experience with this or any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

What was your actual meter readings that you gave British Gas when you moved in and what is the actual reading now?

Are you giving them readings every month.

Is your water heater off, On. timed?

New electric heaters use same power per Kwh as old heaters.

TV, lights, Fridge/freezer, Electric showers?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • kerance
    kerance Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi.

Initial meter ready (7/12) - 41232.
    As of today (14/3) - 45277.
    The water heater was on a lot when I first moved in. However, it has now been changed to a more economic one (as well as my boiler) however the readings are showing 33 units per day still.

I say they're new as in they're not storage heaters.
    Yes I have all of the above (tv, lights, fridge freezer, washing machine, electric shower, electric cooker). Nothing out of the ordinary I don't think.

I'm stumped at how this could equal 33 units per day when I am one person in a small flat :(
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 March 2019 at 4:31PM
    If they are not storage heaters, what sort are they and how are they controlled. Where are they located, what temperatures do you have them set to and what times are they being used

Panel, convector or even fan heaters can easily chew their way through 1-2kwh or even more every hour especially at this time of the year

Same with your hot water. How long do you spend in the shower - a 10kw shower for 10 minutes will use 1.6kw so you could halve that by only taking 5 minute showers.

It's relatively easy to work out what stuff uses - just look at the rating plate. Better still, read your meter regularly (perhaps every day for a couple of weeks) to try and identify what's using it all. Closer monitoring will let you see what is going on and allow you to do something about it.

Most people with gas heating get through around 10kWh a day at this time of the year so heating the place with leccy as well is likely to double or even treble that

Just reading the meter when the bill comes in doesn't help you control your consumption or understand whats using it all.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • kerance
    kerance Posts: 10 Forumite
    My heaters are convector heaters. I use 2 in the flat - 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the living room.
    I use 1 heater at a time and they would be on for maybe 6-8 hours per day. I have them at temperature 22.
    My shower would be going for around 15 minutes per day.
    I will have to keep doing meter checks as there's no way I can afford £300 per month. It's more of a shock when they initially estimated £40 pm.
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm waiting on a call back from them.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    kerance wrote: »
    ...................... I have them at temperature 22.
    My shower would be going for around 15 minutes per day. ...............

Set them to 19 and if necessary wear another layer. They will be working nearly flat out trying to maintain 22 - a 2kw for 8 hours = 16kwh @ 15p = £2.40 a day = £70 a month just for one heater.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As above. Over December to now, is a high time to use a lot of power, heating etc. Should now get lower for rest of year. Try to cut back on shower time, 5 min?

Also I think that electric panel heaters at 1kw use 1 unit per hour? 2 kw use 2 units per hour etc, so will soon add up. So as suggested cut back temps.

Perhaps put your actual usage into energy comparison sites to see if any better deals available.:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure