The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?

Former_MSE_Anthony_S
Former_MSE_Anthony_S Posts: 11
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Newshound!
Forumite
edited 8 January 2019 at 1:09PM in Old style MoneySaving
That's it for this week, but before we go... it’s Veganuary (pronounced vee-gan-uary) where people are encouraged to try eating vegan for the month.

Some restaurants have announced a batch of new vegan-friendly food which has received a rather mixed response. Greggs last week released a vegan sausage roll, McDonald’s has announced a new vegan menu, while Pizza Hut has a new vegan pizza.

Whether you’re vegan or not, what if anything would you like to see veganised? Or what’s the best vegan version you’ve seen or tasted? Let us know below.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?
    The world!!!

Seriously, I'd love to see a vegan milk that actually behaves and tastes like milk in tea and coffee.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would like more carveries offering a nut roast or a seitan roast. So many times I can only have falafel with steam veg and get charged a silly amount for it. I can hardly ever find a vegan sandwich on my travels.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,704
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Marmite cashew nuts. Do they really need milk?
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    MSE Staff
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Marmite cashew nuts. Do they really need milk?
    No whey! :rotfl: I seriously think sometimes milk is put in crisps etc just to test me (>.<)
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    MSE Staff
    I would like more carveries offering a nut roast or a seitan roast. So many times I can only have falafel with steam veg and get charged a silly amount for it. I can hardly ever find a vegan sandwich on my travels.
    I've been toying with the idea of writing a blog about the best vegan meal deals, eg, Boots, WHSmith, M&S, Waitrose etc... is that something you'd like to see, or you think would be helpful? :)
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • I would love that Rhiannon. I've been toying with going vegan, vegetarian I can do as I have before, but I'm heavy on dairy and would love ways to chose better options.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What are your thoughts on this?
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    --Tony-- wrote: »
    A vegan burger with added beetroot juice so it bleeds when you cut into it, why? A turn off for most?
    I don't even get why vegan food needs to resemble an animal product but fake blood?
    This was on Mary Portas' show last week and looked utterly disgusting.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

https://www.theweek.co.uk/97709/bleeding-vegan-burger-arrives-in-uk-supermarkets

Why? I wouldn't touch a meat burger with blood still dripping out of it so fail to see the attraction of a burger with fake 'blood' dripping out of it.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

I don't particularly like things like that but I see why some people do. Many people are vegan for health reasons or because they think it's wrong to use animals. That isn't the same thing as thinking meat is disgusting to eat, so they could easily miss the taste, texture and look of meat. If making vegan burgers bleed means they will happily eat that rather than beef, I'm all for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure