The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Comments

• I tried to mend a tear in my leather sofa with leather glue and it worked really well. I've another tear which I then intended to mend but a piece has ripped off and I can't find it. The sofa is a two seater recliner which fits perfectly in our snug and although it's shabby, it's perfect for Doh and I. I plan on covering it with some nice Laura Ashley check in the summer hols or before if I get around to it xxx
  • Make Do & Minimise - foods from freezer & fridge for hm pizzas

Mend: not strictly a mend :rotfl: but I did hang up 2019 calendar :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,050
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone
    I made do with my own company all day, eating yesterdays leftovers, finding wool for socks (just need a free pattern) and making a list of all I want/need to make during 2019.
    Taken down a few more decorations and the tree will follow tomorrow. Burnt candles to take the edge off the chill in the front room until I put the heating on and decided what to cook to last me over the weekend.
    Right off to bed now for the second time, I couldn't get to sleep so came down to make a drink and thought Id just come on here!!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nannygladys, I got a free sock pattern from Regia wool so might be worth checking their website. Loads of people swear by Winwick Mum's sock tutorial and pattern on her blog
    https://www.winwickmum.co.uk/p/sockalong.html
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Made do with leftover beans and tomatoes (mini stew), leftover veg and potatoes (bubble and squeak) and sad last carrot and cabbage (coleslaw) for lunch.

No mend, but probably will start sewing up the parts for DD's cardigan (a job I always drag my feet to do after knitting all the parts).

Minimised all the Christmas cards, they were in the recycling bin already but I saw an appeal from our local health food shop, they turn them into very beautiful decorations, so they get reused before finally being recycled. And I had a nice walk to the shop in the bargain!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Kitchen & Breakfast room floor steam cleaned - looks much better now as some of the plaster from the walls had trodden into the grout - all gone now so I'm counting that as a minimise!
    Mend - found the original tag for the zip to my fleece in the rubber seal on the WM so replaced and nipped in with pliers to make it more secure.
    Make do - peeled ALL the spuds left over from christmas and par boiled some for roasties for today. The others will be mashed and in the freezer. We're having a roast today as tomorrow is DS1's birthday and we wont be around.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Paid our bond for the allotment today. It's beautiful. Well, it's a bit of a state really but I've seen worse. It has rhubarb and raspberries already in. The previous owner is coming to get his leeks and his shed, although fingers crossed he might leave them lol. Best friend has kindly gifted us a load of pallets to make 3 compost bins next weekend. They've said they'll even deliver them to the allotment for us. Really looking forward to getting started.

My niece has bought a new bed and has given us her old double mattress. for our spare room. We have a single metal day bed with a pull out bed underneath. I've put the mattress on and propped the side up with two chairs. I'm sleeping in it tonight to see if it's comfy. If it is then DOH will make an extension to the frame and hopefully we'll have a fully functioning double bed.

Tomorrow is my last day off work before returning on Monday. I love being at home but it will be good to see everyone and get back into the routine. Night everyone xxx
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 851
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not really done much on the 'Making Do' side but I am presently minimising various bags of cloth into either my new stash box or into various sub-categories such as 'useful scraps' and 'rags', reclaining part of the bedroom floor in the process.

Mending : one of the Xmas ceiling decorations had the fastening tear out, so that has now been fixed with a stapler and a disc of craft foam.

Minimising pt 2 - Xmas pudding and white sauce from the freezer last night, will be finishing it up tonight. Also heroically working my way through the Xmas cake :)
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's tough Wraithlady but someone's gotta do it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,848
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2019 at 11:15PM
    Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & larder. Am also making a soup with all my ys vegetables & a few odds & ends from freezer.

Mend: nothing

miss empty piggy, rhubarb in your own allotment - I love it - am sooo jealous :o

Caterina, I love the knitting & the finished garment :rotfl:, but oh the bit in between - pressing & sewing up.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure