PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• I have a mini Chard forest emerging now everything else is dying off! It worked!

Not enough for Xmas dinner, but there will likely be plenty from early Spring.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Jojo, thats brilliant news! I have a couple of places earmarked for the chard forest - I'm wondering about leaf litter on the soil, though - if I've got young plants there, it should be cleared up, shouldn't it?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • I've always wanted one of these, and now I've finally got one. :cool:
    dd1a0db874e25f905d1b8634237693e0.jpg
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Jojo, thats brilliant news! I have a couple of places earmarked for the chard forest - I'm wondering about leaf litter on the soil, though - if I've got young plants there, it should be cleared up, shouldn't it?

I'm in two minds about it - if it stays, it provides cover for munching things, but if I leave it, it provides insulation and hopefully all munching things are more likely to munch what's underneath them rather than head straight for the shiny red plants (and the Idiot Cat is more likely to take a dump where he's supposed to - behind the shed - instead of the beds), along with local birdlife picking around in it. It might keep the area a bit too wild looking for the local Woodpigeons to come down off the Pyracantha whilst making it nice and safe for Blackbirds, Thrushes, Fieldfares, Wrens and the like.

On balance, I think I'll use the time to clear obviously dead stuff and hack back the pointy intruder deterrent plants/thornless blackberry suckers (that certainly ain't thornless).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Congratters on both of you who have achieved Chard Forest Lift-Off.

It really is a remarkable plant but totally incompatible with veggie retailing, hence not much known. I find that the lower leaves sometimes have the odd slug or snail hole eaten into them, but the majority of the plant is barely-troubled by pests. It's nice to snap the leaves off and not even have to wash them.

I had the opportunity to stock up majoryly on long-dated tuna reduced to £2 per 4 pack last week, probably one of those incidents where stock intended for Big Tesco ended up in this Metro store. Pretty pleased about that as it will all be eaten in the fullness of time.

A rainy-Sunday project in the New Year will be to update the inventory and rotate stocks. And to play with my DPM umbrella fabric, of course.

Injured umbrellas are easily recovered from the streets where their owners have abandoned them on blustery days and provide a nice chunk of useful fabric for various sewing projects. I dismantle the brollies, launder the cloth, recycle any metal bits of the structure and stash it for making re-usable shopping bags and various other things. It's light, strong, often colourful and free for the wombling - plus one reduces unsightly litter on the streets.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    We're getting a new shed in the springtime but as soon as that's built then I'm sorting out some chard and some of the other stuff. Tatties will be in tubs and bags. Need to find a new veg plot as the shed has to go right on top of the current one.
  • Karmacat
    Can you rescue any of the soil, Mar? I've decided to rake up the majority of the dead leaves, I'll be scattering a fair bit of topsoil on it, as well as planting the chard etc in proper new soil. I have loads of garlic planted, all in containers, and after the next week, I'll have finished with the hedges, its all speed ahead with the soil and the weeding then. I can't wait!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Not really KC, if we lifted some soil then the shed would be sitting lower than the rest and risk getting a damp bottom lol. We have 2 smaller sheds that will be going, so can dig those bits over and sort for veg. Just going to take time.
  • Karmacat
    Gotcha, yes, thats a good point. And it really does take time, doesn't it.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Obvious joke but no shed thrives with a soggy bottom.

For the uncovered land, can you get any seaweed? Nature's own cheap and simple fertiliser, with bonus perfect excuse for a beach walk...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure