Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2019 at 10:31PM
    colinblue wrote: »
    . . . They worst part of this is that they say via email that by not paying the £34 it could cancel my change to another supplier. This cant be Ofgem compliant can it?
    A debit balance on your energy account IS NOT A DEBT until it has been demanded in writing and remains unpaid for 28 days at the time the switch request is made.

If Avro block your transfer then you should start their complaints procedure straight away and, if not resolved, submit it to the Ombudsman after eight weeks.

I would also claim compensation for any lost opportunity e.g. missing the tariff I wanted due to their delay. Take snapshots of your energy account and note the details of the new tariff as the basis for compensation.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Hi, I was with Avro a couple of years ago but moved to Economy Energy at the end of my tariff. Everything went very smooth with the switch to E.E. and I was thinking of moving back after the dust had settled with my forced transfer to Ovo. After a quick look at this thread I'm not sure this is wise. Should I just wait until after the winter and things to settle down to move again?
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    lizzietwo wrote: »
    Avro have now offered me their Simple and Winterfix tariff to be debited over twelve months, instead of the original six months winter six months summer rate.
    Might be useful for you to contact them again.

Hope this helps regarding Silly Goose and Helbax postings today

Thanks, how did you contact them? what did you ask?
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Consumerist
    PsyCrow wrote: »
    Hi, I was with Avro a couple of years ago but moved to Economy Energy at the end of my tariff. Everything went very smooth with the switch to E.E. and I was thinking of moving back after the dust had settled with my forced transfer to Ovo. After a quick look at this thread I'm not sure this is wise. Should I just wait until after the winter and things to settle down to move again?
    I'm not entirely clear on where you were thinking of "moving back" to.

MSE's advice is to wait until your "forced" transfer to Ovo has completed and then transfer again if you can get a cheaper supplier or tariff. Once you hear from Ovo regarding your new tariff then you can compare with it on comparison sites.
  • I'm not entirely clear on where you were thinking of "moving back" to.

MSE's advice is to wait until your "forced" transfer to Ovo has completed and then transfer again if you can get a cheaper supplier or tariff. Once you hear from Ovo regarding your new tariff then you can compare with it on comparison sites.

Once the transfer to Ovo is complete and assuming Avro are cheaper than Ovo I was thinking of using Avro as my energy supplier again.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,598 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PsyCrow wrote: »
    Once the transfer to Ovo is complete and assuming Avro are cheaper than Ovo I was thinking of using Avro as my energy supplier again.
    If you do go back to Avro, make sure your DD amount reflects your annual usage. I have been trying for over a month to get them to reduce my DD (only by about 10%, and my account is in credit), as I have calculated I am paying a bit too much to be close to a zero balance at the end of my contract. After many excuses, my account is currently with their "finance team awaiting review". So customer services have effectively washed their hands of it and the finance team cannot be contacted directly. I sense a formal complaint coming.
    At least because I couldn't initially get through by phone, everything has been discussed by email, so I have a record of what was said.
    It took them a week to reply to the first email, but since then responses have been within a working day. Always polite and apologetic, but nowhere near a solution and it wouldn't surprise me if the finance team manage to conclude the DD must be increased!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Consumerist
    victor2 wrote: »
    . . . At least because I couldn't initially get through by phone, everything has been discussed by email, so I have a record of what was said.
    It took them a week to reply to the first email, but since then responses have been within a working day. Always polite and apologetic, but nowhere near a solution and it wouldn't surprise me if the finance team manage to conclude the DD must be increased!
    In the traditionally coldest months of the winter they are probably reluctant to reduce DDs right now unless you are outrageously in credit.

If your efforts fail, I suggest perhaps waiting until your credit balance starts to increase again (April, May ?) and then ask for a refund. It's a few months later but your evidence will be stronger and harder for them to resist.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,598 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the traditionally coldest months of the winter they are probably reluctant to reduce DDs right now unless you are outrageously in credit.

If your efforts fail, I suggest perhaps waiting until your credit balance starts to increase again (April, May ?) and then ask for a refund. It's a few months later but your evidence will be stronger and harder for them to resist.
    Contract ends in a few months. See no reason to stay if they don't sort this out and I don't want a seasonal tariff anyway. Then I'll just have to fight them for my money back!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Consumerist
    victor2 wrote: »
    Contract ends in a few months. See no reason to stay if they don't sort this out and I don't want a seasonal tariff anyway. Then I'll just have to fight them for my money back!
    Do seasonal tariffs affect switches in springtime? I thought they were only applied when switching in the winter months.
  • Leear
    Leear Posts: 59 Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Oh what to do...!

Just coming to the end of my first fixed year with them, and its been smooth running generally, my payment has been accurate and kept me in credit without a big balance building.

I am totally shocked at how much the market has gone up in that last year, the best quotes are now £500 a year :eek::eek::eek: more expensive than the Avro deal that is ending.

Thing is Avro is still the cheapest fixed deal for me so do I just renew and hope its OK?

Also their old tariff was the same rate all year, new one is high in winter and low in summer but the difference is very large, going to end up with a lot of credit by spring, and I dislike lending companies my money for free but it appears refunds are near impossible.

I had exactly the same issues. However, when AVRO told me what my new rate will be it was not the one on MSE, and it was a few pounds less per month, than the best MSE public offering.

Having done the sums, and checked the rates per kW, I'm staying with AVRO on another year's fixed contract, as I can leave at no cost anytime, if any real good offer turns up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback