Just realised I’ve paid twice for my car insurance - hit by auto-renewal

Options
Just received two emails from insurers to renew and realised I paid for one by auto-renewal last year. Gone through my emails and I did receive an email last year about it but must’ve missed it. They didn’t send me an email after with new documents etc which I think is a bit sneaky - especially for something costing £740 - but I should’ve caught it. I’ve emailed the insurer, Elephant, asking for a refund as I have proof I was already insured - anyone have any idea whether I’m likely to be succesful? Of course I should’ve seen the hundreds of pounds taken out of my account but I closed the account around that time and didn’t pick up on it.

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just received two emails from insurers to renew and realised I paid for one by auto-renewal last year. Gone through my emails and I did receive an email last year about it but must’ve missed it. They didn’t send me an email after with new documents etc which I think is a bit sneaky - especially for something costing £740 - but I should’ve caught it. I’ve emailed the insurer, Elephant, asking for a refund as I have proof I was already insured - anyone have any idea whether I’m likely to be succesful? Of course I should’ve seen the hundreds of pounds taken out of my account but I closed the account around that time and didn’t pick up on it.

Have you put in

Full name
    Date of birth
    Post code
    Policy / reference number

They are likely to refund you as a goodwill gesture. But I believe there is no requirement for them to do so.

As for them being sneaky? probably not if your first policy was on line. The renewal would alter that online and it would be up to you to log in check print out as required?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They didn’t send me an email after with new documents etc which I think is a bit sneaky - especially for something costing £740 -
    Most documents are not contained in the email. They are on the insurers online portal for you to download. So, not sneaky.
    I’ve emailed the insurer, Elephant, asking for a refund as I have proof I was already insured - anyone have any idea whether I’m likely to be succesful?

Normally the insurers will agree between them who is refunding minus an admin charge.
    Of course I should’ve seen the hundreds of pounds taken out of my account

And the fact you were told it would auto-renew if you did nothing. Its not hidden in some small text away at the end.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bengangooly
    Options
    You don’t think some of this is intentiaonal? Like the way energy providers shift people on to the most expensive tariff after their deal runs out? Not trying to stir controversy, just interested whether you genuinely think that?
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 September 2018 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Of course it's intentional, auto-renewal wasn't invented by accident.

It's up to you to tell them you don't want to renew, it's not difficult.

But if you're the sort of person that forgets to tell your insurer not to auto renew, you might find yourself very grateful in the event you forget to arrange alternative cover! I know that's not what has happened here, but I would think auto renewal rescued many people from a driving without insurance conviction.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don’t think some of this is intentiaonal?

Of course, it is intentional. it lowers costs and as most consumers renew with the same provider, it reduces admin for them.

However, they are not hiding the fact it is auto-renewal. There is a standard that means it must be contained in the main renewal letter telling you what to do next if you do or do not wish to renew.

The only people that tend to get caught out by it are those that do not read the renewal letter. If you don't read your letters, then you are pretty much open to missing all sorts of things in life.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bengangooly
    Options
    I’m actually a pretty money savvy guy - I don’t think I am ‘prone to missing all sorts of things in life.’ Anyway, they’ve agreed to refund so all is fine - thanks for your comments.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m actually a pretty money savvy guy - I don’t think I am ‘prone to missing all sorts of things in life.’ Anyway, they’ve agreed to refund so all is fine - thanks for your comments.

LOL, thank god I am not as money savvy as you. I would not miss an extra £740 being taken from my bank:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure