Credit cards for buying flights/travelling.

I'm looking for credit cards that give a reward for travelling. Ideally lounges and insurance etc. for purchasing tickets as well as points/cashback. Thanks!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Amex platinum charge card would be best for you. £575 annual fee.
  • Thanks, I've been looking at the Amex cards and they seem like the best option, wasn't sure if anyone had any hidden gems but I'll probably go ahead and get one of their cards.
  • MisterBaxter
    MisterBaxter Posts: 666 Forumite
    Just remember that if you use Amex to take a different card to use once you're abroad as Amex cards carry fairly high FX fees.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2019 at 7:15AM
    Just remember that if you use Amex to take a different card to use once you're abroad as Amex cards carry fairly high FX fees.

Unless of course you're travelling for work and will claim the FX fee as a very small additional part of your expenses ;-)

In fact if this is work travel, then you _might_ (although its probably less likely nowadays than it used to be) be able to get your employer to cover the membership fee of an Amex Plat on the grounds that you will save expenses via some of its benefits.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Look at the routes you're mostly likely to fly and see who runs them.
    Then look at the rewards offered by cards.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Assuming you don't have a US address then Amex is best for these things. Much more (and better) options in the US sadly.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you qualify for HSBC Premier, their Premier World Elite Mastercard is a good option, especially if you fly alone. The main current account comes with free Travel insurance and the World Elite Credit Card comes with Lounge Key access for one as well as earning points that can be swapped for Avios or other airlines scheme (e.g Singapore Airlines, Ethiad). You also get upgraded status with most car rental companies (which in turn get you discounts and free upgrades) and some other scheme.

In summary, it is not as good as the Amex Platinum Charge Card but the fee is “only” £195
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

If your looking for a lower end card I have an MBNA new horizons card which is great for travelling as there are no fees for using the card abroad, no fees on cash out either just the interest starts accruing from when its taken so I take the money out then faster pay it so no charge :D, 0.5% cash back and no yearly fee

I also have an amex gold (no fee for the first year) with 2 free lounge access a year but don't use this for spending as it has high overseas fees. I did spend the 2K on it within the first 3 months and got a 100 amazon voucher but you can transfer these points to air miles if you want.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    sazaccount wrote: »
    Hi,

If your looking for a lower end card I have an MBNA new horizons card which is great for travelling as there are no fees for using the card abroad, no fees on cash out either just the interest starts accruing from when its taken so I take the money out then faster pay it so no charge :D, 0.5% cash back and no yearly fee

Unfortunately it is a closed product not open to new applicant and only customers that previously had one of MBNA’s airline partners cards have one.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately it is a closed product not open to new applicant and only customers that previously had one of MBNA’s airline partners cards have one.

Thank you! I didn't realise that it was a closed product, I had an emirates partner amex/visa card then it changed to this one last year. I'm not had a reason to look for any other MBNA cards so didn't know

Thanks again, I'll stop raving about it to others (Its an amazing travel card :rotfl: lol!)
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure