uPVC door lock mechanism broken!

Comments

• Hi

My door locks fine but perhaps a spring needs attention because it will not close on the centre latch. The handles do not 'spring up' and the latch does not move outwards properly. I have removed the lock, three screws holding the inner handle and the screws along the roller strip. The outer handle came loose but would not come away. There are two 'pop rivets' either side of the centre latch. Do I need to remove these or am I missing something?

How much of the mechanism do I need to replace?

Any advice would be welcome...
  • abigailflo
    abigailflo Posts: 278
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2010 at 8:52PM
    My UPVC door won' t open. The handle is loose so I thought it was that. Went and bought a new handle that looked exactly the same as the other one from the DIY store but the door still won't open. The Key does turn and seems to lock but the door won't open. Any ideas?
  • Hi,

I have a problem with my porch door. The problem is this:

I can use the key from outside the property with no problems, the door locks and unlocks perfectly well, however the key will not turn when I'm inside the porch.

My guess would be that it is just the cylinder which needs replacing however I don't want to start pulling things to bits without first getting some clarification from someone who knows what they're talking about!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • ldevlin
    ldevlin Posts: 14 Forumite
    I am of the view leave i to the experts in everything unless is it very quick or very easy to do. We all are expert at doing something in our daily lives. We would be better served doing what we are good at and not leaving the country full of shoddy workmanship. If we can do overtime or a bit of out of hours better to do that using the skills we have to pay for the experts to do it...
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Just out of interest, how old were people's uPVC doors when the locks started to play up? I'm considering a uPVC door (+ windows) but also tempted to keep the existing door which has locks that don't jam/break/shear after a few years...
  • Crabman wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how old were people's uPVC doors when the locks started to play up? I'm considering a uPVC door (+ windows) but also tempted to keep the existing door which has locks that don't jam/break/shear after a few years...

I had UPVC doors and windows installed 6 years ago and within the last six months one window has misted and the door is broken. Surpise surprise I have been told they are just out of guarantee as well which always seems to be the case. I have been quoted £150.00 to have the door fixed. If I had known the locks were so easily prone to break I would have kept my old doors, at least they seemed easier to change the locks and could be easily done yourself.
  • stoney24 wrote: »

It can only be the cylinder!

it's more common with keys that have been cut.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ldevlin wrote: »
    I am of the view leave i to the experts in everything unless is it very quick or very easy to do. We all are expert at doing something in our daily lives. We would be better served doing what we are good at and not leaving the country full of shoddy workmanship. If we can do overtime or a bit of out of hours better to do that using the skills we have to pay for the experts to do it...

i hope it keeps fine for you then.

thats all well and good if you can find decent tradesmen, at a decent price.
    the trouble is......... well just read the last few years on this forum for example.
    Get some gorm.
  • Fishmarket wrote: »
    Hi

The handles do not 'spring up' and the latch does not move outwards properly.
    How much of the mechanism do I need to replace?

Any advice would be welcome...

If the handles are not returning the spring in the lock has lost it's tension or snapped, some you can just change the lock, on others it's the full monty, check out ebay.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Ours won't lock. We adjust the ..... I dunno, the bit the bolts go into, but within weeks they don't all go in any more.

When it works, we need the key to get in, when it doesn't, we can just open the door. But to close it properly, we have to lift the handle to ensure it catches.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure