Saving for..?

Options

Comments

• JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    edited 10 August 2019 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Virgin Media truly sucks.

Firstly I called up to cancel and kept getting hounded as to why and telling me they can't give me it cheaper - I never asked for it NOR want it! Let me cancel.

Next, the lady tells me that if I cancel now it's an early disconnection fee. I explain the previous man said today was 30 days notice as my contract runs out 9th September. She tells me my contract runs out June next year and I explain what happened. She said okay but 30 days notice STARTS from the day my contract ends on the 9th so I will be disconnected on the 8th of October. Errr I don't think so. She reassured me that I had paid 2 months in advance on my first payment so I won't need to pay extra or a disconnection fee but I don't understand how it's a 12 month contract if it runs September-October. She also told me they overcharged me £7 somewhere. My bills for this month is £46.11 and I have no idea how they got that figure as it should be £27 + £20 moving fee but they have it as £28.80 + £20 moving fee. I honestly don't know but now I know why they are awful and I just want out from them.

Currently they have on my account that my contract ends in July 2020 yet on the phone they say September 2019. I have no paper trail whatsoever as they don't send emails or update your account!

AVOID VIRGIN.

Just means another 2 months of not knowing if they'll cut me off on 9th September instead of October and I'll be without internet whilst arranging a new one, not knowing what my bills are going to be until then or if they're going to try hold me into a contract because it says so online. Also have to rearrange my holidays as I'll need half a day to install new internet which I'll have to source all over again in around a months time. At least I'll get that £7 they say they owe me back *rolls eyes*.

Soooo... today I put one of my curtains over my spare TV unit so it looks like a table instead :o Going to finally!! eat after 45 minutes on call to V. Media and put some more stuff up for sale I think then start a grocery list for next week. My freezer is pretty full but I'd like to try some new things with my recipe book and use up some ingredients before they get expired :)
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poor you. What a nightmare they are. I had problems with them when my salary was cut and I asked if they would reduce my package down after 15 years of loyal service. They were pants. I hope it gets sorted soon it is quite stressful although it is always nice to have a new table.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Yesterday was a nice day so I went for a walk to the store. I needed some ham for my lunch time rolls at work and treated myself to a milkshake. Still within my food budget. Got home and the heavens opened plus thunder!

Nothing planned for today, maybe clean out the fridge but otherwise chill out.

Budget:
    Groceries: £22.06/£25
    Petrol: £40.88/£55
    Entertainment: £57.80/£60

Added leftover grocery budget to savings.

Savings this pay day
    In: £233.13
    Out: £514.12
    = -£280.99

Emergency Fund: £1656.55
    HelpToBuy: £6784.95
    = £8531.50

9 days to payday! Still looking for a new job.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Keep looking and the perfect one will turn up. 11 days for you three weeks for me. lol. Im going to be v careful not to waste my money.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    So Virgin Media called me to offer me my current package at £19 for 12 months, saving £8 a month. I accepted as the other deals I was looking at was the same sort of price plus an engineer appointment and upfront costs. They said it's a 12 month contract but they could extend the discount for 6 months so I'm not actually sure what that means... He said it would be sent over on email but nothing as of yet and no update on my Virgin Media account. Their customer service and organisation is ridiculous but I didn't want to miss out on the offer.. so here's hoping.

Really bored at work. Fed up of it but no jobs catching my eye. Also couldn't sleep last night at all, haven't been sleeping lately. Usually I fall asleep within minutes. Think I'm just stressed. The boyfriend is also having problems with his accommodation for when he moves here. Hopefully everything will be sorted soon.

Have cashed out a prolific payment to come tomorrow, need another 50p for my next cashout. £7.03 from a cashback account received and into savings.

I have £114.62 to last me until payday in 8 days which is doable if nothing unexpected comes.. Shopping after work today, getting enough to make about 3 different meals and weekend lunches to fill up the freezer this week. I do also need washing up liquid. I currently have Morrisons own that does clean well but you need to use a lot so doesn't last long. I did try ALDI's magnum and loved that so will be getting that. Just need to see through to payday.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on having so much money left till payday and also on great Virgin deal. Good luck with looking for jobs.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Thanks savingwannabe :D Just really fed up of my work. I used to work 12+ hour shifts, 55+ hour weeks and wished I had an office job where I did nothing but it's not that great. I don't like either extreme and my job is great when I have that balance but right now I don't and I've fallen out of love tbh. People who have been there a long time don't see the company lasting much longer. So there's a mix of boredom and worry.

Got the bulk of my shopping for £14.19 at ALDI. Should only need a top up of milk and most importantly, crisps and chocolate.

Today I cleaned the fridge and text my mum to try make a little bit more effort with her.
    I also attempted cottage pie. Don't think I've ever tried it before and not sure it's supposed to taste like this but ... yum! Mega comfort food.

Still really surprised at how little I can get my shopping for but not sure if that's just out of necessity. I wonder if I had a bigger salary would I up my budget for better quality food and more treats? A balance would be nice.

Tomorrow I'll try book a haircut and that will be something to look forward to - it really needs done.

I had PM'ed someone on PA after I had timed out to apologise for it and that I thought it didn't give enough time for what it was asking (you had to choose 6 adjectives for a product then write a description of the product with those adjectives!) and he replied to say he got my data and has awarded me the money! So that's an extra £2. Virgin Media email received and it looks like next month I don't pay anything due to overpaying then the following month my contract will be £19 :D Finally... Signed up for something called Bean which tracks your spending and where you could be saving... comes with a free £5 amazon voucher! Hopefully I can find a small baking dish to spend it on.

Budget:
    Groceries: £14.19/£25
    Petrol: £40.88/£55
    Entertainment: £57.80/£60
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    £5.45 into savings from prolific.. Hopefully my pending will be through so I can cash out again in Friday. £10 a week doesn't sound like much but that pays for my gas/electricity... or 1.5 weeks of groceries... or most of my petrol... so it really does add up! Do keep missing out on studies lately though which is annoying.

I'm fed up but I'm grateful that I have savings, I have a job, a roof over my head, a full fridge/freezer and cupboards. It could be worse.

Haircut scheduled for next week, something to make me feel a bit fresher and new I guess?

Had a potential buyer for some curtains but turns out she needed longer ones, ah well. I checked and my advert does actually say the measurements on them so bit of a waste of time!

Hoping my petrol will stretch to payday but will likely need to top up.

Just gotta keep going but I can tell my mood is dipping quite a bit. Probably related to my hormones so need to keep an eye on that. Health and well-being before everything.
  • JennyJukes
    Options
    Well I was unsuccessful for the job I really wanted - I think the other 2 will be the same as I had less want of them so less effort. Another job that would be perfect for me has popped up though so will get onto that asap!
    Had a bit of a rough day today, both people I interacted with were in crisis and I couldn't help the first one which is always difficult. Reminded me why I'm doing this job though, when I do make a difference it does help.

Need milk tomorrow, will top up my lunch time rolls, and probably top up my crisp and chocolate cupboard. I really need it. Today is one of those days I wish I could just come home and have someone else have my tea ready for me, or a cup of tea, or a bath :(
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Hey Jenny its always difficult when you want to help someone and cant and it doesn't help your low mood. Bad days like that its nice if you have a pre-cooked meal in the freezer quick and easy to warm up if you have a microwave at home.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback