'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Christie
    Christie Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the service engineer called today and basically said that it would cost around £200 to fix it. The problem was exactly what Pmat said. He also said that there was a problem with the freezer, the ice flap wasn`t closing and warm air was getting into the freezer. There is actually a build up of ice we hadn`t noticed. He wouldn`t commit to saying that this iwas a fault with Samsung FF`s but he did say that he`s seen a lot of that problem. We decided not to have the repair done and instead we`ve bought a new one. The guy recommended Whirlpool. We just felt that if we paid out that amount of money and something else went wrong then we`d end up throwing good money after bad.

I had a reply from Samsung and basically they said that because it`s out of warranty then they`re not interested, they denied that it`s a fault in the product. I will write to them again though and I`m also going to write to the Sunday Post, one things for sure, I`ll never buy another Samsung product.
  • minisoph
    minisoph Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I cant believe i'm reading this! I too have a samsung fridge, with small freezer compartment, & a water dispenser, so i guess we are all on about the same model??
    I have owned this for about 2 months & have 2 problems with it. The first is the tray under the freezer compartment, which is for keeping meat cold, freezes it & i also have the exact same problem everyone else is ranting about, i only noticed this in the last week & its now driving me mad.

We bought this from comet & it was £100 off, i guess this is the reason for the offer?

Think i'm going to get an email sent off to them asap

Thanks for the info guys

Sophie x
  • beebee1
    beebee1 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    With an update on my last post.... After reading all the posts and email from Samsung saying that it sounded like a fault but they wouldn't do anything because it was out of warranty! OH said he wasn't prepared to pay for an engineer to rip us off so he had a look at the fridge, took the panel at the back of the fridge off ( it had frozen solid!!) and took the hairdryer to it. Our fan was still working but had iced up around it. He made a bigger hole in the drain (as per Shamrockabc's engineers advice) and put it all back together. It wasn't too difficult to do, the trickiest part was getting to the screw holes that had iced up.

The result is that the buzzing noise seems to have gone! Fridge is working fine and hopefully all is rosey in beebee land. :T
    To err is human, to forgive divine!!!:A
  • malid
    malid Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    pmat wrote:
    Anyone had any luck with them?

BTW, if this problem does develop and is not rectified, you may experience the freezer defrosting! Sorry but be warned!
    My freezer does not have a noise problem however, for the second time in as many months, the ice cubes formed large solid blocks then the freezer temperature started rising and reached 8C no matter what I did. On the first occasion, after most of thh food had defrosted, it started working again so I didn't bother phoning an engineer. Stupid me as it has now happened again and no sign of tempertaure dropping. Any ideas? Will be phoning tomorrow as it is only 3 months old.
  • minisoph
    minisoph Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again

I just thought i'd add abit more. I just went to get a pitta bread out of the freezer compartment to find that they were not even frozen??? I put them in there 3 days ago!
    The ice cubes freeze ok & ice is forming on the sides, but it doesnt freeze any food i put in there.

I will be complaining tomorrow, this fridge is c***

NOT HAPPY
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can hear ours, a bit, too - assumed it was just the way it is, so surprised to read these comments.

One thing to remember, check the warranty - ours is 18months old, but has 3 years makers warranty - Comet didn't even know this - so guess the recent models still have same benefit & not just the regular 12months!

& DON'T buy the genuine filters, £40ish ++++ check https://www.pozzani.co.uk £15ish & they'll even mail you another & charge your credit card, a replacement in 6months. Saves ordering & gets them a sale too!

Only problem now, we're moving house & the fridge won't fit, so our buyers are lucky enough to have it now!

VB

PS it only comes second to our remote control garage door, as favourite home 'toys'!! & we can't take that with us either!!
  • FirstClassMale
    Options
    I was just about to post off topic and ask where I could get the filters. Hopefully cheaper ones. Luckily vansboy has answered my first question.

However, does it really need it's filter changed every six months? We are in the North of Scotland and the water up here is much softer than other parts of the UK. I can only assume that the filter warning light is on some sort of timer as it turned orange bang on the six months and has since turned red. The water still comes out no problem but I doubt if it is affected by an "out of date" filter.

Any thoughts guys?
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll find the filters don't 'soften' the water - you certainly wouldn't want to do anything to the delicious stuff you've already got up there - but are for the removal of other impurities, whatever they are, no doubt a cleverer Moneysaver than me will know!!

VB
  • weebag
    weebag Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I bought a Samsung American Fridge Freezer from Comet almost two years ago (model RS20CCMS1).

Recently I noticed a build up of ice at the bottom of the freezer - wel cleaned it away and all seemed fine.

Then the freezer (and the fridge) started gaining temperature. I was going to get an independant guy to look at it, but found that it has 24 months guarantee from new. Anyway, got a copy of oriignal receipt from Comet (what a hassle that was, appaling service!) and faxed to Samsung (again, appalling customer service).

Samsung had the cheek to say they would honour the gaurantee even though it was over two years old. As id originally reported the fault at 1 year, 11 1/2 months, I explained that it was in fact in guarantee and they were doing me no 'favours'!

Anyway, engineer is due tomorrow (wont specify a time, or even morning or afternoon!).

I am also pursuing a claim for £80.00 of ruined frozen food.

Weebag (Mark)
  • shamrockabc
    Options
    I was fortunate enough to get the problem repaired within the two year guarantee period but I rang a trading standards department listed in Yellow Pages, at the begining of the listings, who said I could have grounds for complaint AFTER the warranty had expired.

He explained the Goods and Services Act, written at the begining of the Yellow Pages, which lasted for six , yes six, years after the product was purchased. I told him about a design fault, which he thought was a good reason for them to repair the product outside the warranty period.

He told me to put my complaint in writing to Samsung and quote the Goods and Services Act. He advised me to mention that I had contacted the local trading standards department , who were aware of the complaint. They had to reply within a week, I think.

I didn't go down this route but for those who do "Good luck"

Shamrock.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport