PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I used mail redirection when we moved house 2 years ago. They still continued to send some post to my old address. It is only because my kind letting agent called me to say they had a wad of mail for me (which they had to do welling my redirection being activated). I was so annoyed and when I called customer services they offered me some stamps as compensation :eyeroll:
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    custardy wrote: »
    Why are you quoting me on that?
    Without actual data it means nothing.
    That will likely be logged complaints,not split down by resolution.
    I've quoted data. (Not pretty pictures)
    RM only report by:
    Perhaps you should suggest that they also record complaints by resolution.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I've quoted data. (Not pretty pictures)
    RM only report by:

Perhaps you should suggest that they also record complaints by resolution.

Why would I suggest it? Im not fussed either way.
    Again,why are you quoting me on it?
  • Does anyone know if Royal Mail post forwarding is supposed to be confidential or not?

I have no debts or anything like that, but I had a PI who found me (for someone I didn't want contact with), and I have just learned that he found out that there was a RM redirection in place in my name, from one address to the other. Anyone know if that's information which could be obtained legally, as I suspect that should surely be a breach of DPA?
    Any comments welcome, thanks
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We just took out 12 months...didn't seem like a huge cost considering the benefits. We found that the first 2 weeks were shaky - there was a lot of stuff slipping through going back to the old house. After that it got much better but i am only assuming this as our buyers haven't forwarded anything to us or let us know we had mail...

Down sides to the service:

- we only used Mr and Mrs Jungle so the odd stray that comes to my maiden name misses this
    - We have limited companies and neither of these have our surname in their name so assuming anything addressed to that will change

I really think they should make it a household thing and accept more than one name.

Since we took it out there have been loads of things i wouldn't have thought of: cat microchip/insurance, dental reminders, car stuff and a couple of insurances. Really glad i did it and would use the service again

This is done for a reason. When couples split up they usually have different requirements.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know if Royal Mail post forwarding is supposed to be confidential or not?

I have no debts or anything like that, but I had a PI who found me (for someone I didn't want contact with), and I have just learned that he found out that there was a RM redirection in place in my name, from one address to the other. Anyone know if that's information which could be obtained legally, as I suspect that should surely be a breach of DPA?
    It is confidential, but PIs will often have contacts willing to do them a favour. You could certainly complain if you have reason to believe the info came from Royal Mail - though you sure that e.g. somebody else couldn't have seen one of your redirected items?
  • Thanks for the reply. I am 100% certain the only way he could have found the details of the RM forwarding would have been electronically, therefore you're probably right about the 'favour' from someone on the inside. I intend to take this as far as I can go, it's a criminal offence to breach the DPA, favour or not! thanks again
  • Is the redirection address available from the CRAs ? The fact that a redirection is in place certainly is.
  • Is that credit reference agencies? I have no idea, but thanks very much for mentioning it. Not sure how to find out. How do you do a check on someone else, do you have to be a registered debt collector or something? I remember doing one on myself years ago and they wanted everything but a DNA sample!
  • sat_mad
    sat_mad Posts: 79 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »

Has anyone heard any updates on when the redirection pricing is going to change?

It's been nearly six months since the announcement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure