storage heater/economy 7 queries

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• thriftykitty
    Options
    Hi,

I am about to move into a flat with storage heaters and an economy 7 tariff and I'm wondering what happens at weekends? I will be out most of the day during the week at work but will be spending most weekends at home.

I know this may sound like a ridiculous question but do storage heaters really store enough heat to heat a room all day, especially in the depths of winter? I will be insulating the flat as much as I can and will be wrapping up etc (I won't be swanning about in shorts and a tshirt anyway!)

Other than supplementing the heating with a little oil filled electric radiator or fan heater will I just have to bite the bullet and put them on during the peak time? Just wondering what other people's experiences are of using them during the day.

Thanks for any advice!
    Proud to be OS :j
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi,

Other than supplementing the heating with a little oil filled electric radiator or fan heater will I just have to bite the bullet and put them on during the peak time? Just wondering what other people's experiences are of using them during the day.

Thanks for any advice!

A 'how long is a piece of string' question I am afraid.

It depends on:

1. The capacity of the Storage Heaters.

2. The size of the rooms

3. The insulation properties of the flat

4. How warm you like the flat.

It is fair to say that the biggest single complaint about storage heaters is that they run out of heat in the evening. However you don't appear to have any alternative except electrical heating on a 24/7 tariff - which will be MUCH more expensive.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Some storage heater installations are wired to a circuit which only becomes live once the meter is on the night tariff. So it's impossible to use them during the day.

The best plan is to wrap up warm and use a small halogen/infrared heater for personal heating (or an electric blanket). There's a great Youtube video showing how to keep warm in a cold room which might give you a few good ideas.

If you can afford one, a portable AC/heat pump unit could be effective. They have a coefficient of performance (CoP) of around 3.2 (3.2 kW of heat per kW electricity used) – the biggest challenge is finding a 150 mm hole for the elephant's trunk duct to go through to get the cold air out of your flat without letting drafts back in.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My tenant tells me that the timer is not working on the Dimplex night storage heater in the bedroom. Is it a fairly simple repair job anyone can do, or do I need to get in a specific electrician to repair it? As well the red light doesn't come on. The heater works in the sense that the heat comes as it should do, just the timer doesn't seem to. Any help much apprciated.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    mary wrote: »
    My tenant tells me that the timer is not working on the Dimplex night storage heater in the bedroom. Is it a fairly simple repair job anyone can do, or do I need to get in a specific electrician to repair it? As well the red light doesn't come on. The heater works in the sense that the heat comes as it should do, just the timer doesn't seem to. Any help much appreciated.

There is no 'timer' on a night storage heater, do you mean a timer on a panel radiant heater ?. If it is they are so cheap to replace and not worth even the call out costs of an electrician let alone the repair costs.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure