DWP employment waiting list

Options

Comments

• Orb_2
    Orb_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    All of the Band Cs that I started with in July 09 (I left in Jan 10 but have stayed in touch) that are left (not many) have been told that they won't be extended after their current extensions run out.
  • rushofblood
    rushofblood Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Just been told today that our contracts are not being extended, i'm a band b, not unexpected but disappointed to say the least.
  • thunderb0lt
    thunderb0lt Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    I sarted in Nov 09, left in Jan 11. I worked at Ealing. I have heard that everyone has been extended for the second time for 6 months! There was a "selection excercise".
  • Has anyone coming to the end of a DWP fixed term contract plus extension (2 year minimum service) had any information regarding redundancy rights?

I was doing some research for a friend and came across this on the Direct.gov website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_10029836

of particular interest was the second line;

"Statutory redundancy pay is also due when a fixed-term contract of two years or more expires and is not renewed because of redundancy."

Further investigation found this as well:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Fixedtermworkers/DG_175138

This seems to imply that anyone in the position outlined above is entitled to redundancy payment on termination of the fixed term appointment.

I can't find anything on the Business Link or ACAS websites that says any different.

I have asked my manager and the local union rep to investigate on my behalf, but if anyone else is in a similar position it might be wise to raise the question themselves.

Here's to a happy outcome, I'll repost when I hear anything.
  • I've just been asked in a PM about the redundancy situation.

Whilst the DWP are of the opinion that FTA's are not entitled, the PCS union have had legal advice that opposes that and they are pursuing a legal review of the situation.

Keep an eye on the PCS website for further updates.
  • thunderb0lt
    Options
    Just wondering what happened to the people here that were on fixed term contracts. Where I worked in West London District a lot of contracts were extended. There is now going to be a selection excercise whereby only 25% of people will be extended within the District.
  • maisette
    Options
    I had a 18 month contract which was due to end april. We had a selection exercise which was really tough. I was one of only seven who got through but we only got a 3 month extension which ended in July. Am still unemployed signing on at the JCP i was working at. I loved the job and it broke my heart to leave but i would never return after the way we were treated.
  • shopaholic10
    Options
    I had 2 extensions was there for 2 years and 2 weeks in total ..contract ended 2/9..i was very lucky to get another job straight away through a friend
  • ferien_uk2011
    Options
    maisette wrote: »
    I had a 18 month contract which was due to end april. We had a selection exercise which was really tough. I was one of only seven who got through but we only got a 3 month extension which ended in July. Am still unemployed signing on at the JCP i was working at. I loved the job and it broke my heart to leave but i would never return after the way we were treated.

Wow, I couldn't cope with signing on at the JCP I was working at. Luckily I was working in a BDC in the same town, but dealt with customers in another county.

I finished in March (no extensions where I worked), have done one temp job since then for a few months, which I hated. Am due to start another job soon, but it's not much better, wish I was still working at the DWP. I'm on a waiting list with the CSA and also with HMRC, but have been since March so not holding much hope of getting a job with either of them at all really.
  • Druagh
    Druagh Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been asked in a PM about the redundancy situation.

Whilst the DWP are of the opinion that FTA's are not entitled, the PCS union have had legal advice that opposes that and they are pursuing a legal review of the situation.

Keep an eye on the PCS website for further updates.

Anyone who worked two years or more as an FTA, and was then let go, should be aware of this
    http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/department_for_work_and_pensions_group/dwp-news.cfm/id/880FDB97-CEB6-4871-B13DF472989E0243

Drew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport