Santas challenge 2017

Comments

• Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm happy to say that Christmas presents are nearly finished and the bits I still have to get, I know what to get. Have been wrapping as I go along, so really on top of everything.
    Really pleased as I can focus on the DIY that really stresses me out but desperately needs to be done.
    Prague is all booked, so it's full steam ahead, I can't wait now!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Husband is always last minute deciding what he wants. So that always gets ordered in October. But I'm getting there. A few bits to work out and people needing to decide what they want. But everything I can buy so far is bought. Feels good as with no job now I've given it up, Christmas feels like a bigger pressure.

Husband booked our cruise for next year today. Haven't even done this year's yet! Nice to have something to look forward to. Zoe turns one next month. After that I can focus more on holiday and Christmas.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Pleased to read up on everyone's progress. Mine is still slow - OHs work had been a bit slow recently so we've had to tighten our belts. August is also going to be a slow month as the children are on school holidays (won't have much free time) plus we are going on our summer holidays in a few weeks (money going towards that). But, I have ordered a present for DN.

Dsis is expecting another baby in about 8 weeks time and I've been thinking about what to get her. It isn't her first, but she doesn't have any baby stuff (and neither do I). So, I've decided to make her up a hamper of handy stuff (some of which will be useful at 3am!!!). My youngest is in reception, so the early baby years are a distant memory and I've been trying to remember what I found useful.

Changing bag - a normal satchel bag, but she probably won't think to get one.
    Muslin squares
    Cotton wool pads
    Gripe water for wind
    Metanium nappy cream
    Flask
  • chanie wrote: »
    Pleased to read up on everyone's progress. Mine is still slow - OHs work had been a bit slow recently so we've had to tighten our belts. August is also going to be a slow month as the children are on school holidays (won't have much free time) plus we are going on our summer holidays in a few weeks (money going towards that). But, I have ordered a present for DN.

Dsis is expecting another baby in about 8 weeks time and I've been thinking about what to get her. It isn't her first, but she doesn't have any baby stuff (and neither do I). So, I've decided to make her up a hamper of handy stuff (some of which will be useful at 3am!!!). My youngest is in reception, so the early baby years are a distant memory and I've been trying to remember what I found useful.

Changing bag - a normal satchel bag, but she probably won't think to get one.
    Muslin squares
    Cotton wool pads
    Gripe water for wind
    Metanium nappy cream
    Flask

Things you might want to add. Things I couldn't have done without..changing mat, a few sleep suits, mits/gloves and a dummy if she plans to use them. Maybe a little blanket and some baby nail clippers.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Apologies been missing in action...... just got back from Morroco, it was amazing, we love the place so much, everyone is so sweet out there, just like visiting family.

Thou... With miss hoodie being blonde and blue eyes, in one day she collected 6 Facebook friends, they asked for her number, but we had already decided between us, Facebook then u can block them.....

Xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Completely digressing, as missed July challenge... how about a bit of fun...

Tell us one strange / odd fact that no one would really know..

Me.... I only have 1 toe nail x
  • mum2one wrote: »
    Completely digressing, as missed July challenge... how about a bit of fun...

Tell us one strange / odd fact that no one would really know..

Me.... I only have 1 toe nail x

Through an accident or always that way?

Mine is a long and weird one that I thought about for the first time in ages yesterday.
    I used to believe in "carpet diamonds". When I was little, every now and then in the bathroom carpet I'd see something shining. I'd pick it up and it would be a tiny diamond. A carpet diamond. Never occurred to think any different. Til suddenly, much older, it struck me they were cheap little Rhine stones from my sister's jewellery that had fallen out into the carpet. Didn't think about them for years, til yesterday when I spotted something glittering in the carpet at home and thought "ooh. Carpet diamond"
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Through an accident or always that way?

Mine is a long and weird one that I thought about for the first time in ages yesterday.
    I used to believe in "carpet diamonds". When I was little, every now and then in the bathroom carpet I'd see something shining. I'd pick it up and it would be a tiny diamond. A carpet diamond. Never occurred to think any different. Til suddenly, much older, it struck me they were cheap little Rhine stones from my sister's jewellery that had fallen out into the carpet. Didn't think about them for years, til yesterday when I spotted something glittering in the carpet at home and thought "ooh. Carpet diamond"

Wow, that's so lovely...

I had toenails that grew weird, did have 10 off but one grew back x
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    junes santas challenge

[/
    christmas presents[/
    It's 6 maths to go, so how's the time to look again at the lists, see who need what, what budget and whether you have joint gifts to get.
    So I have looked at my list so far and I have decided this year I have 9 to buy for. I have already brought a couple of gifts so I think I have my step mum and mum done and my sister. I brought some smellies packs when they were reduced in HomeBargains - they were £24.99 down to £3.99 so I couldnt resist a bargain! and my sister has a handbag from Ebay and a candle. So I have 6 to get now. This is not including my husband and 2 children though! although I work in a well known catalogue shop and have been picking up bits and pieces for my daughter already and a speaker for my son that was reduced from £25 down to £7.99

Once you have this done, keep a little note in back of purse so if you see any bargains you can grab and go. Have got it on my phone ;)

xmas paper / gift bags etc
    [/its not just the presents, but the accessories.... hopefully there be emergency starches of paper hidden. I emptied my christmas cupboard and have found 4 rolls of wrapping paper that were in the 5p sale in Poundland and have brought some cards from work that were 30 cards for 49p so thats us all sorted now.

cards and stamps[/
    Check / redo your list of cards - see who will need posting, whether you can double up etc... see how many stamps you need, so can get some throughout the year.
    I need to write my card list but I dont have many but most of them need sending but I like to buy fancier cards for family members as most are elderly and appreciate the old fashion type cards

Extras
    These always seems to be the mad part, but look at the extras you need for Xmas, if your liable to have guests ( day or stay over), then toilet rolls are going to be used quicker...
    Add an extra item to the shopping list weekly / monthly.
    Toilet rolls
    Kitchen rolls
    Hand soap
    Dried milk
    Tinned Items
    Cooking foil
    Tea bags
    Coffee
    Etc to name a few...
    I have already started to write a christmas cupboard list and have been trying to decide which cupboard to use because my family are like locusts and will graze their way through a cupboard at will if left to it. I think I might actually get a plastic box and store it with non perishables in my christmas cupboard!

summer sales
    Some shops are starting the summer sales early.. as usual it's only a bargain if you really need it.. I find that if need swimwear in July... it's a military planned operation... so think ahead and grab now.
    [/
    I have looked in the clothign shops for reduced pyjamas for my daughter as well as tops etc that she might like (shes only 7) and I am keeping an eye in the sports shops for a brand my son likes as well

Miss hoodies corner....
    That lovely gem... this month the freezer.... with the warm weather the freezer will have been working overtime, so we're give it a treat, with a sort out and a defrost.... dare we ask how many peas have escaped.. I dread to think how much escapee veg I have but mine needs restocking soon

Insurances etc..
    Whether it's this month or 6 months, check your policies, whether they have sneaked you into the auto renewal program,... pop in the diary a nite about a month before the renewal so you can shop around.
    On the renewal notice the insurance company have to show you how much you paid last year...
    no insurances - and due a new puppy in a month or so so she will be the newest insurance :-)

Surveys / receipt snappers etc...
    Whether you already do surveys or snap receipts, see if there are any you want to try, it may be extra few pounds for Xmas.
    SAving with Christmas savers with Tesco and waiting on a bonus card with iceland to start topping up for the freezer shop

Me time...
    Take some me time, whether it's a long soak in the bath, a sit in the sun with a good book, face mask and pamper evening.... have a treat.. but for fun don't spend more than £2.......
    My favourite treat is sitting and watching a film with some goodies or clearing my V+ box in peace.

Challenge yourself..
    Is there something you want to try, but never got round to it, it could be as simple as a new recipie, start a d I e t....., take up a new hobby, look in to, give it a try...
    I have brought a paint by number kit for my birthday which I am looking forward to starting and was given a Game Of Thrones colouring book which I havent started yet!

As always use it as a puck and mix xx

So I feel like Im doing fairly well. Just need to concentrate on some bills getting reduced now before Xmas.

My son wants tickets to a car show in January so I am going to book them in advance to save us some money.

My daughter has made her Xmas list as well so I am slowly working my way through that although at 7 years old I have managed to talk her out of a laptop and a hot tub :eek::eek::eek:

My husband as always is not telling me anything he wants

Our new pup is due home on September 26th so she is my wedding anniversary present - a little jackhuahua who will be called Nicki after our favourite bike rider who passed away.

And I have a few more things to find for gifts so am going to stalk ebay - Id also like to make a few bits for Xmas decorations and presents as well

Hope your all ok and hope you dont mind me joining in - Im looking forward to hints , tips, bargains etc

Sammy
    x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Now that I'm back from my holiday, I can focus on Xmas preparations. I was hoping that I saw some bargains whilst on holiday, but I didn't see anything, plus the exchange rate isn't very good at the moment, so everything is expensive.

I did order one present online today. I had a gift voucher I needed to use and bought a travel card holder which was reduced in the sale.

I want to make an Xmas pudding this year. Most of my family don't like it, but I do, so I want to try and make one. Dors anyone have any tips?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure