PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday looking on minimalist YouTube videos.

I have decided to do the following, ooh, I love my lists, lol:

1. Only buy frozen blueberries and one other type of fresh fruit weekly, probably apples. I keep buying lots of fresh fruit and then struggling to get through it all!

2. Stop buying mouthwash. I will just rinse my teeth with water after flossing and then brush them with toothpaste. I don't think you even need the mouthwash too.

3. Use up my moisturisers and then look for a good organic brand. Better to buy a quality one, not lots of cheap, carpy ones!

4. Go through my wardrobe (again!) and get rid of anything I don't like or wear. I was looking at capsule wardrobes again for inspiration. I think I already said that I'm not buying any clothes this year at all.

5. Stop buying food just because it's on offer. Look at what I need each week.

6. I got a day of the week pill box and I'm putting all my medication and supplements in there and will take them at the same time (dinner time) each day.

7. Use my essential oil diffuser rather than buying candles.

:T
  • I'm probably going to do my washing differently after reading what you guys were saying!

I've never had thrush, though, even though I wash stuff on low temps. I assumed I've never had thrush as I drink a lot of water each day.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Hi Wednesday. You might like to look at some of the aromatherapy wholesale sites. They often do decent basic moisturisers, lotions, shampoo etc. in largish tubs. I decant into smaller tubs or bottles and don't add the oils. I have paid postage for a 'sample' to see if it suits me. I'm not actively recommending one as my previous favourite has gone a bit weird, and I'm just trying another!
  • jackyann wrote: »
    Hi Wednesday. You might like to look at some of the aromatherapy wholesale sites. They often do decent basic moisturisers, lotions, shampoo etc. in largish tubs. I decant into smaller tubs or bottles and don't add the oils. I have paid postage for a 'sample' to see if it suits me. I'm not actively recommending one as my previous favourite has gone a bit weird, and I'm just trying another!

Oh, okay, thanks, I will check it out.
  • Re stains coming out of clothes etc. I did try a hint I read somewhere on MSE the other day about getting a bit of blood out of material. It went "spit on it/rub it in hard/then follow up with a rub from bar of soap before washing".

I didnt think it would work - but duly spat and rubbed and didnt even have to get as far as rubbing it with a bar of soap. The blood had come out after just spitting and rubbing hard. That surprised me - but have remembered it in case of future need.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Great skin and hair moisturiser: organic coconut oil. Buy very cheap in @ldi.

Whites gone yellow: soak overnight in a bowl with a splash of washing up liquid and spirit vinegar (if you add some bicarb and make it fizz it seems to help too). Then wash at high temp next day with a bit of natural non bio detergent. I use Method or Faith in Nature. Once a year treatment for my bedding, keeps it brilliant white.

Capsule wardrobe: check Project 333 https://bemorewithless.com/project-333/
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).

• 2. Stop buying mouthwash. I will just rinse my teeth with water after flossing and then brush them with toothpaste. I don't think you even need the mouthwash too.

My A Level Biology teacher told us that the thing with mouthwash is that it removes ALL bacteria from your mouth, including the useful ones that help break food down. With thorough, regular brushing you shouldn't need it.

I no longer bother with fabric softener (never made any difference to my towels anyway) and now use Dove soap bars, which last much longer than shower gel and don't involve so much packaging.

A lot of companies rely on people mindlessly buying the same stuff they always have without analysing whether they really need it!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 11:42AM
    Re stains coming out of clothes etc. I did try a hint I read somewhere on MSE the other day about getting a bit of blood out of material. It went "spit on it/rub it in hard/then follow up with a rub from bar of soap before washing".

I didnt think it would work - but duly spat and rubbed and didnt even have to get as far as rubbing it with a bar of soap. The blood had come out after just spitting and rubbing hard. That surprised me - but have remembered it in case of future need.

I've never heard of that either but duly noted because it makes sense. When I was in the dry cleaning industry very early 2000's we used to use chemical enzymes to break down stains and then rub like billiow with a hard brush. I can imagine the enzymes in the sputum would do the the same job in creating a biochemical reaction. Working out how to get rid of stains is about working out whether the stain is alkaline or acid then finding the correct antidote to the PH level... and then what the fabric is, how long it's been there, has it been rubbed in to the fibres or no. Never dab up a stain. You won't be dabbing it up, you'll dabbing it in and if you use water you'll seal in in the fibres too.

A word from an old dry cleaner... man made fibres are actually very, very difficult to change colour let alone absorb other weakened colour. They need very high temperatures to get the dye to take. In my experience, and a bit of knowledge, greying bras occur because of the chemical reaction between sweat/deoderant/perfumes/body lotions and the laundry detergent. Laundry detergent generally has blue tones in it as whitener. They're blue in tone because natural fibres naturally want to yellow over time. Detergent manufacturers add the blue tones to combat the yellow, like we use blue shampoo on yellowing blonde hair. They brighten by neutralising the colour but only in natural fibres. Your grey bra is down to chemical reactions if it contains man made fibres.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    3 a month.

[*] [deep breath] Confession time. I am a bibliophile and slightly addicted to charity shops. I did a 'stocktake' on paper books and there are a whopping 104 waiting to be read so I'd like to carve out enough time to sit quietly and read 1-2 books a week. I need to spend less time online and more time reading. And no more buying books until these are read. I haven't counted up what is waiting to be read on the kindle or computer. Not brave enough yet.
    [/LIST]

There are two book related threads on MSE that may interest you.

The Bookworm 2018 one here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5766465

but the one that may help is the No more Buying books until I've read the ones I've bought already:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2263095

I am guilty like you of having too many books to read. Over 120 on the kindle and about 10-15 I think it is in real form. I set myself a challenge on Goodreads.com which is linked to your kindle account and set myself a goal of 60 books this year. You can add paperbacks to the challenge, they don't have to be kindle only. I have only read 2 books this year and am halfway through a book I hope to finish over the weekend or earlier. It also gives me something to work to, although I am finding it difficult not to be drawn into temptation and I don't know why because the temptation I've been drawn into previously, is sitting there looking at me. I just need to get on with it and start reading instead of being distracted by the ongoings of the MSE threads. :)

Best of luck
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just been simplifying DS’s (already quite decluttered) room. Packed away any toys he’s turned too old for and all his bibs etc as don’t use them any more. I do love a nice decluttered room :)

Looking for a bed for him on Gumtree (as he’s currently in a cot). A lot are just as expensive as getting a new one! My husband wants to get him a toddler sized bed but I want to go straight into a single and save buying another bed in a year or two. We’ll see who wins that one!

I finally turned my compost the other day after neglecting it all year (I’d had to stop composting for a few weeks as it was totally full). Ended up with a massive wheelbarrowful which I’ve spread on the dormant veg patch and the compost bin is only half full now so I can compost again :)

Gardening tips would be most appreciated, what should I be doing this month?
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure