Made a terrible mistake

Options
jules6891
jules6891 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 7 January 2018 at 10:31AM in Disability money matters
EDIT: Post retracted as some members have accused me of scam baiting, which, to be honest is not only shocking to hear but it's a preposterous claim. What is their reason for this belief? I could only sum it up in short: that I write pretty well for a one-handed severely disabled.

Thank you to the people who actually took time to read and gave me helpful advice.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    You can't gift it, that would be deprivation of capital. How much are your total savings including crypto currency? If it's below £16k you're still entitled to means tested benefits but reduced by £1 per £250 or part thereof. If you get any amount of income based ESA then you'll still get full housing benefit. I can't say how it will affect the financial side of your care package, or any council tax support as they vary by council.

I'm not sure how investments are dealt with in terms of being income or not. The above is purely in relation to savings/capital.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 January 2018 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Why does this sound suspiciously like an unsolicited e-mail that you'd be better off deleting?

Can barely use a mouse and types at a snail pace, yet writes a long post that could have been done in under two paragraphs? Wait till they offer to move the bitcons through you and let you keep a share. They just need a bank transfer of £250 to facilitate it.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    what mrcol said
  • jules6891
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Why does this sound suspiciously like an unsolicited e-mail that you'd be better off deleting?

Can barely use a mouse and types at a snail pace, yet writes a long post that could have been done in under two paragraphs? Wait till they offer to move the bitcons through you and let you keep a share. They just need a bank transfer of £250 to facilitate it.

For your info, I took about 3 hours to type it. If you do not have the attention span to understand my situation and why I took so much effort to explain my mess then I can only ask you to ignore my post if it irritates you. Nobody is forcing you to read my post. I'm worried sick here and the best interpretation you have is that I'm posting some sort of scam here? That was not my intention and I did not come here seeking unhelpful and negative response.

My apologies to anyone else who thinks my post "sound suspiciously like an unsolicited e-mail".
  • jules6891
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    You can't gift it, that would be deprivation of capital. How much are your total savings including crypto currency? If it's below £16k you're still entitled to means tested benefits but reduced by £1 per £250 or part thereof. If you get any amount of income based ESA then you'll still get full housing benefit. I can't say how it will affect the financial side of your care package, or any council tax support as they vary by council.

I'm not sure how investments are dealt with in terms of being income or not. The above is purely in relation to savings/capital.

I think in total, including fiat currency, it's about £18k. I need to find out exactly what is my ESA but my ESA is the full amount that any severely disabled person unable to do anything physically would get. I also get the full amount of PIP. I am completely on my own on this and the lady that used to help me with letters and phone calls has retired. I'm not sure how I will get anyone to help me through this mess. I'm really scared and stressed out.
  • jules6891
    Options
    Can I just surrender my cryptocurrency portfolio over to the DWP? Will that be the right thing to do?
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jules6891 wrote: »
    Can I just surrender my cryptocurrency portfolio over to the DWP? Will that be the right thing to do?

not sure what they would want it for .. from what i gathered its not worth very much ..

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • jules6891
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    not sure what they would want it for .. from what i gathered its not worth very much ..
    I'm sure they will know how to handle it as it would be considered as an asset by them anyway. It has to be said that it's an extremely volatile asset, as yesterday, my portfolio was worth £15k at one point. Today it dropped down to £10k. Currently stands at £11k. Tomorrow or next week it could be down to anywhere or up to anywhere. It's extremely unpredictable.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jules6891 wrote: »
    I'm sure they will know how to handle it as it would be considered as an asset by them anyway. It has to be said that it's an extremely volatile asset, as yesterday, my portfolio was worth £15k at one point. Today it dropped down to £10k. Currently stands at £11k. Tomorrow or next week it could be down to anywhere or up to anywhere. It's extremely unpredictable.

May i suggest you get some proper financial advise on what to do ..
    Putting money ( that your really cannot afford to lose) into something your not really understanding is lunacy.

Get advice on what to do next about this so that you dont lose anymore money

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • jules6891
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    May i suggest you get some proper financial advise on what to do ..
    Putting money ( that your really cannot afford to lose) into something your not really understanding is lunacy.

Get advice on what to do next about this so that you dont lose anymore money
    One thing is for certain, I have completely ceased on spending any more of my money on coins. I just don't know what to do with the coins I've bought already or how to approach the DWP, the council and the care support fund managers. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure