PIP Medical tomorrow so scared.... :(

2»

Comments

• I will add that I have no up to date evidence of my condition due to my Dr telling me there is no magic tablet so basically all I had to go with is what the Dr's had told me.

I have no medication and this I feel will go against me, and the fact that I've not seen a Dr in over 5yrs cause I feel someone else needs more attention than I do, I can see the out come being a failure! But at the end of the day I have a illness that stops my day to day life! :/
    Garden Designing available for the fraction of the costs!:D
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    The fact that you've no medical evidence and not seen a doctor in five years is going to go against you. Hopefully the information from the assessment will be sufficient.

It doesn't read to me that the assessor was trying to catch you out. She wanted to iron out what she saw as an anomaly, that's a good thing. She was also correct in asking you to answer, your partner is your appointee for administrative matters, not medical.

I hope you get the outcome you would like. Try to put it out your mind until you hear from them.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Well on the positive side it is done.
    Take care.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    IAmWales wrote: »
    The fact that you've no medical evidence and not seen a doctor in five years is going to go against you. Hopefully the information from the assessment will be sufficient.

It doesn't read to me that the assessor was trying to catch you out. She wanted to iron out what she saw as an anomaly, that's a good thing. She was also correct in asking you to answer, your partner is your appointee for administrative matters, not medical.

I hope you get the outcome you would like. Try to put it out your mind until you hear from them.
    That's not entirely true. I'm my daughters appointee because she doesn't have the capacity to look after her own affairs, she doesn't understand money, she can't count it, she won't use the phone, when talking to her it needs to be in the simplest form (yes i have written proof of this) otherwise she won't have a clue what you're talking about. I've recently applied for PIP for her and was told if an assessment is needed, i'll be able to speak on her behalf. I just have to make sure that i take proof i'm her appointee with me. I'll also be taking the written proof that she needs to be spoken to in the simpliest form.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I will add that I have no up to date evidence of my condition due to my Dr telling me there is no magic tablet so basically all I had to go with is what the Dr's had told me.

I have no medication and this I feel will go against me, and the fact that I've not seen a Dr in over 5yrs cause I feel someone else needs more attention than I do, I can see the out come being a failure! But at the end of the day I have a illness that stops my day to day life! :/
    I have to agree with iamwales, that may go against you. Although i have heard of people being awarded without evidence. 5 years is a very long time to go without seeing a GP, especially when you have issues with everyday life.
  • You have got through it...so that is the first step! Well done!

My Mum answered a number of questions for me at the F2F and ALWAYS makes my phone-calls for me....the assessor should have attempted to talk to you, and addressed all questions to you, but accepted your partner's answering for you.

I would advise that you phone the DWP...possibly today, no later than Monday of you can manage it (or have your partner phone)...and ask them for a copy of the assessor's report. The decision maker will rely heavily on this report (and the assessor sends it off to them really quickly)...you will be able to see where the assessor recommends you are given points, and read their assessment of your needs...This could be really valuable to you as you will be able to start preparing notes for a Mandatory Reconsideration...look at where the assessor has not given points and you believe they should be awarded.

But do not be too worried at the moment...I was CONVINCED that the assessor would only give me the lowest award...I had submitted evidence , but it was years old...and the assessor certainly tried some 'tricks'...and refused to listen to some answers - having made up their own mind.....when the assessors report arrived, it was riddled with inconsistencies and errors...BUT they recommended a higher award than I was currently on (a justifiable increase!...my own assessment had suggested an increase) - some of their points did not agree with my own thoughts, but they sort of averaged out. (My mental health was all but ignored, but my physical points were enough o get me the awards)

So, phone for the report...and then take a day or two to relax...the assessment was stressful - and you got through it!!!
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Agree if it will help you during the wait ask for the assessor's report - I chose not to but it might help.

Although providing recent evidence is the ideal, some of us just don't have any. In addition the nature of NHS care is changing out of neccessity and for many people, even with severe life limiting illnesses, regular follow up isn't as it used to be, I think that's especially true for mental health problems due to underfunding and understaffing. I didn't have any evidence and my GP doesn't know me well but I ended up with the right award.
  • I wouldn't worry they like it when people act like nervous wrecks, they don't like it when people have had 10 years of #### and learnt to act “normal”. They seem to think asking if you would like a cup of tea, telling you she will be late or moving chairs around is threatening and should warrant a threat response, so you will be good to go !
  • I've not seen a Dr in so long due to my anxiety as I feel like someone is more needy of a Dr than I am, I feel like I am a burden on the NHS.

She did ask why I've not seen a Dr in so long and the above is what I had told her, I said it's a vicious cycle.. She agreed!

Also I have it on my medical notes that I was diagnosed with a severe panic disorder along with agoraphobia, which still is the case.
    I've never had a medical before they've always got in touch with my Dr for evidence, I assume they did anyway. I've had no issue with claims for the past 8+yrs...

I had to move a chair near the door so I could leave the room quickly if need be and almost took a layer of skin off my arm due to rubbing and scratching so hard whilst she was here. I have to be fair she seemed lovely.

Thank you all for your advice, what will be will be. I'm quite proud of myself if I can say that. :) I will update when I hear anything. Thank you again. xx
    Garden Designing available for the fraction of the costs!:D
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    quite right too Kate, you should be proud you got through a difficult process and sound as though you interacted well with the assesor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure