Solar ... In the news

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not a clue what this is talking about:
    Using various spectroscopic methods to observe processes in the molecule, the researchers were able to verify a model for singlet fission they had previously theorized, and confirm the importance of coupling to a high charge transfer state; and that the process efficiency is closely related to coupling in the pentacene units.

but the title and intro sounded promising:

German scientists use chemical process to boost solar cell efficiency
    A team of researchers from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany has published research into a physical-chemical process known as singlet fission, which it says could boost solar efficiency by as much as 50%.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    A slowdown in Chinese installs could lead to massive worldwide* PV price reductions.

*Presumably the MIP (minimum import price) will 'protect' Europe from this 'annoyance'.

BNEF expects 34 percent fall in PV module prices this year due to overcapacity

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Just another article on subsidy free PV via PPA's, but this one does go into a bit more detail on kWh costs and even install costs per kWp.

But I thought the FiT comments were very nice, recognising the success of the scheme.

Doncaster Rovers to save £1 million from subsidy-free PPA install
    This was made possible by the low technology costs, as Burrows explained: “What you can fit for these days is quite remarkable. If you had to you could install for £500 per kW in terms of crude kit plus a good installation team."

He added: “Generally 8-10p is the current PPA range we offer and that I'm aware of in the market. With a respectable offing from developer and fund, that's enough for an entity like Doncaster Rovers to make this decision.”
    Burrows also believes the success of this project, and those to come, offers a moment of reflection for the FiT regime. Despite the “political palavas” that have made up the subsidy’s history, Burrows says the completion of subsidy-free projects like that for Doncaster Rovers shows FiTs have, all things considered, been a success.

“When they were launched in July 2009, they were all about rendering themselves useless in the end. They were designed to create market forces and we are getting to where we were always supposed to be, and that gives me a real sense of warmth as an industry stalwart that it's worked. This really is proof of concept, [we can] replicate this and the reason why is the financial model works.”

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I see that there are no plans to replace the FIT scheme with anything at all; no export element, no net metering.

So that will kill of the domestic market completely. A few rich and heavy users will still find it worthwhile if they can use all their own generation but for the average user like myself who exports substantially the only beneficiary of any installation under the new scheme would be the local REC who would have a free source of energy to reinforce the local network.

Well done, another small strand of the rope of renewable energy cut. Land based wind, small scale solar, tidal, rail electrification; is there any sector that the government are actually helping or is it all "**** business" as per Boris, let alone the attitude to us who don't donate large sums to the party?
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    I see that there are no plans to replace the FIT scheme with anything at all; no export element, no net metering.

So that will kill of the domestic market completely. A few rich and heavy users will still find it worthwhile if they can use all their own generation but for the average user like myself who exports substantially the only beneficiary of any installation under the new scheme would be the local REC who would have a free source of energy to reinforce the local network.

Well done, another small strand of the rope of renewable energy cut. Land based wind, small scale solar, tidal, rail electrification; is there any sector that the government are actually helping or is it all "**** business" as per Boris, let alone the attitude to us who don't donate large sums to the party?

Here is a link to an article about the change.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    another small strand of the rope of renewable energy cut.
    I have to suspect that this government's MPs have either been bought by fossil fuel and nuclear companies or are just stupid.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,137 Forumite

So saddened to read this. As a recent adopter of solar enegy I can honestly state that without the FIT and export tariff schemes I could not have made a financial case for it's installation. As it was it was only that I am in the priviledged position of being recently retired and having the time, finance and aptitude to investigate it to understand if it all made sense. If I had still been at work full time I doubt I would even have given it a thought!

While we have still to make best use of the energy we are producing, up until now the local REC will have benefitted from circa 90% of the nearly 4 MWh produced.
    Surely there must be some financial grounds to extend the FIT scheme in order to encourage the continued take up of renewable energy.:(
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • NigeWick wrote: »
    I have to suspect that this government's MPs have either been bought by fossil fuel and nuclear companies or are just stupid.

This is exactly how I feel. There is also now a 300 quid charge before the DNO even looks at an installation above 3.68Kw. It all seems geared to kill domestic solar.

With the push for installation of smart meters, there's no excuse for the government to not meter export and get the energy companies to pay for it at a reasonable rate.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is exactly how I feel. There is also now a 300 quid charge before the DNO even looks at an installation above 3.68Kw. It all seems geared to kill domestic solar.

With the push for installation of smart meters, there's no excuse for the government to not meter export and get the energy companies to pay for it at a reasonable rate.

I agree, how hard would it be to just to make energy companies only bill for net units used?

I guess the only 'positive' is that it should help sell battery storage if it is use it or lose it.....
    I think....
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    So, for those on reasonable FiTs, would you accept a renegotiation of your sacrosanct FiT contract to move to net metering? Would you give up generation FiT as well as export, or argue for retention of generation plus net metering?

Not sure any govt would go to the expense of all that renegotiation but it seems a reasonable position for them to take if they offer net metering...

Time to hide under the table now and pretend I didn't light the blue touch paper...:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback