Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 1st Apr 19, 11:46 AM
    • 642Posts
    • 2,632Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Debt Goals
    • 1st Apr 19, 11:46 AM
    Debt Goals 1st Apr 19 at 11:46 AM
    Hi,

I haven't posted in a very long time - I'm getting older and it feels like an eternity that i've been in debt and i really don't want to carry it on towards my retirement. My dreams for retirement do not include debt.

Today is the 1st April and I have been the fool. I don't want to use this diary as a negative platform. i feel a new surge of inspiration as this time I have positive GOALS. I want to get out of debt because I want to plan my retirement and actually have some enjoyment from life, with my family and not just exist pay day to pay day.

OK... so I'm breaking things down for me to manage and move forward with my goals.

GOAL 1: Get Current with Bills

The first goal to tackle is my car insurance which today will bounce. Stupid decision as I rely on transport for work.

Solution

Liaise with the company to see if I can pay double next month. My budget next month will take a big hit as this is a double expense.

I need to cut back on the food budget or try and bring in some additional income. I do have money gifted to me for Mothers Day which I can utilise towards the payment.

Good to be back x
Page 4
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 28,274 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Sorry things are stressful with your Mum. I remember the stress of trying to get care plans up & running...... I lost my Mum last year, & Dad barely a year before that. You are right that all the hospital visiting is mentally & physically exhausting. We tried to take in packed lunch & snacks when we could, but I will freely admit we also used the hospital 'C*stas' more than we could really afford. We need to try & keep our good financial habits going in difficult times, but it does make it harder.
    My best wishes for you & your Mum anyway.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 75
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 12th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Thanks for your good wishes Foxgloves

Yes I know you have been through the sad loss of your parents and you do understand the stress and difficulty of juggling everything. I'm finding it difficult to try and please everyone and I've just come to the conclusion that I can't.

The unexpected extra finances that come with hospital visits (extra petrol, parking costs, canteen visits so that mum is out of the ward) etc have to come from somewhere... I have had to "dig into" the savings I have been putting away to pay my family member back. All my personal savings for the month are well spent!

Everything is really stressful and I'm on automatic pilot at the moment.

Hopefully the care plan will be finalised soon and life will become a little more relaxed.

I have learned that an emergency fund needs to be put in place sooner than later!

Weekend is nearly here - lets hope i can have NSDs till then

x
    Family Member Debt:30/1000 - August deadline

Debts paid off
    Loan - 1400 Overdraft - 1700 Phone - 360 Loan - 2109 Provident - 1760 MBNA - 8000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,982Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin