PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: OFT wants crackdown on surprise letting charges

"The regulator is calling for a number of changes to be made to make sure tenants and landlords aren't ripped off..."
Read the full story:

OFT wants crackdown on surprise letting charges

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Excellent news - long overdue.

And, I believe, far more useful than the Scottish system of compulsory registration of landlords. Sorry artful!
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not just charges after the fact; the charges they can levy just for the checks they do (or don't do) can be daylight robbery too. Costs them £10 plus a little in-house admin... Charge to prospective tenant is £50-100.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • G_M
    Naf wrote: »
    It's not just charges after the fact; the charges they can levy just for the checks they do (or don't do) can be daylight robbery too. Costs them £10 plus a little in-house admin... Charge to prospective tenant is £50-100.
    A commonly-quoted misconception. Though I take you point about someof the mark-ups.

But at least this is addressing transparancy, as well as surprise charges.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It should be made law that they have to give you a printed full charges sheet at every viewing .... and have it clearly available on their website ..... and posted on their window.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    G_M wrote: »
    A commonly-quoted misconception. Though I take you point about someof the mark-ups.

But at least this is addressing transparancy, as well as surprise charges.

Really? Because when I posed as a LL to the company the last LA used for us, that's what they quoted me (with a subscription).
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • G_M
    edited 15 February 2013 at 1:07AM
    Naf wrote: »
    Really? Because when I posed as a LL to the company the last LA used for us, that's what they quoted me (with a subscription).
    I'm really hesitant to hijack this thread into a debate about specific charges, but:

1) take a look at the prices charged by the independant Providers the letting agents use: Letsure; Paragonadvance; Homelet; etc etc (google for more). Prices start around £15 for the most basic 'check', and rise to £50-£70 for the more extensive searches and full referencing

Agreed - we hear here of complaints/suggestions that some agents charge for full referencing but then don't do it etc etc. That is a problem (for their landlords as much as their tenants!), but it's a different problem, and does not apply to all agents.
  • Absolutely needs to be done. Was extremely unimpressed by the LA who having sent us lots of paperwork and given us a schedule of charges when we agreed to take the property added an extra one when we went into the office to sign - £6 per month for registering the deposit.

LA knew that we had already moved out of our previous properly putting our furniture in storage because the date was important to us and they had got it wrong at the viewing. Did we not tell you about this charge? Very sorry, must have been an oversight. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it. When I pointed out that this was no reflection of the small one off charge made by the deposit agencies I was told that I could take it or leave it.

I would have liked to leave it as their subsequent behaviour reflected that early interaction however with 2 very young children I had to swallow it.
  • DaleN
    DaleN Posts: 27 Forumite
    We had a letting agent once who had no dealings at all with us after the initial contract, except to send an annual letter asking if we wanted to renew. All my dealings were directly with the landlord. On one occasion they included a "renewal" fee of £30. My contract is with my landlord (his name is on it) and I far as I am concerned I have no relationship with any letting agent and therefore have no obligation to them. If they want it they can get it from the landlord (I'm sure they are anyway) but they're not getting it from me. They can try to get the landlord to kick me out if they like, but we're good tenants - pay rent on time and don't cause him any problems (better than the previous tenants, according to neighbours) - so if he wants to go to the expense of finding new tenants and run the risk of them being worse than us, that's up to him. I suspect he won't.
  • I don't think what is proposed is enough IMHO

I have never come across "charges introduced once contracts had been signed".

Most agents are up front with their fees, but they still a rip-off and ought to be regulated.

We need regulation here on quantum not information

tim
  • I've written to the OFT saying exactly this. I have been in contact with my MP and received a written response from the minister for housing about this as well.

Reading between the lines, they don't want to resort to the measures in Scotland (well, it's not very Conservative after all). They also don't really see the problem.

It's one thing having charges, but they should be putting pressure on ARLA or whoever to standardize them so that we all know where we stand.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure