Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 132
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 25th Jun 08, 11:29 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    Mrs M, Big hugs to you and your family at the moment.
    Angelniki Please put my down for £150 for July

Yesterday was another NSD for me, i have got this sussed now you only have to follow one rule don't go near a shop or shopping website, so locked in house or office until pay day on friday then..........

CC
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 25th Jun 08, 11:30 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya all,

Really tired today as was kept up tol 12.30am, working as live-in-carer 24/7 takes it out of u, put comp on was just checking thread, promptly feel asleep, hit my head on comp and gave up. This is the 1st chance I've had to come on this am and now it's time to cook lunch, only just caught up with what u guys have been up to Oh well just look a little longer, sun shining at the beach Anyone know where the cheapest cranberry juice can be got at the mo,we get through loads of it xxxx 2 u all
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 25th Jun 08, 11:37 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    By the way, I'm allicated £40 per fortnight for 3 adults, this is hard, especially with all the price increases lately But try really hard to manage, any Ideas guys xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Sian the Green
    Hi, I have been a passenger on this website for a while and would like to step up and join the challenge, is that okay? I think I would say £100 a month as a guess, it is just me but I have recently started with an organic food box which is amazing and I do have a regular slot for takeaway on a Sunday night
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 25th Jun 08, 12:25 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Hiya Orkney,

The recipe below I do quite often and just bung in whatever veg and potatoes I have lying around - but always pop broad beans in. Its a good food, but can't find it on the site to stick a link in - so here it is:

Chicken and Spring Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:
    2 chicken breasts (skin on)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    200g baby new potatoes (cleaned and thinly sliced
    500 ml chicken stock (can be a cube)
    200g mixed spring vegetables including broad beans (to be honest I bung in what ever I have!)
    2 tbsp crème fraiche
    Handful of tarragon roughly chopped (again I quite often stick in whatever I have ample of out of the garden) or ½ tsp of dried tarragon
    • Fry chicken in olive oil for 5 mins each side. Throw in potatoes and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
    • Remove lid, turn up heat to reduce the stock a bit (2mins ish), chuck in veg, cover again and cook for 5 mins.
    • Stir in crème fraiche to make creamy sauce, season with S and P, chuck over tarragon and serve.
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 25th Jun 08, 12:36 PM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Afternoon all - haven't really been keeping track this month (my grocery and pocket money spends subsidise one another so it's not critical that my exact budget is stuck to for each item IYSWIM) but am confident that my signature's now accurate to within a couple of quid, which means I am slightly under budget for the month at the moment

Went to Asda last night "just for some peppers and mushrooms" for my sausage casserole, plus some stock cubes and more boxes of risotto rice as it is still 73p there and has gone up to £1.19 in the other supermarkets. I ended up with a load of reduced meat for the freezer and spent over £20. If I had a bigger freezer I could have kept myself in pork ribs and prawns for about a year but as there was barely any space in the freezer to begin with (plus I only had carrier bags with me, not the wally trolley) I had to pick and choose what would be most useful to me. Got 5 packs of diced chicken (over 4lbs in total), a smoked haddock fillet, some Extra Special cod loin fillets and Extra Special pork. I unpacked all the chicken, pooled it and divided it in half to freeze - that will be 2 batches of Thai green chicken curry.

Only need rice now this week (ordinary and jasmine) and I will see if I can get it in bulk - assuming I can work out where I'm going to keep it in my tiny flat! Loads of ethnic supermarkets round my way.

Hope most of you are well and happy - (((hugs))) to Mrs M.

Rzl xx
    Operation Get in Shape
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Jun 08, 1:02 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle
    Originally posted by perrywinkle
    Great idea especially as hubby has just told me he is bringing some free eggs home!
    Not keen on pancetta but could use some cold ham instead me thinks.
    • taplady
    • By taplady 25th Jun 08, 2:18 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    Hi all!

I havent had time to read all the posts so I hope you're all doing well!
    I've had my MrT shop delivered and shouldn't need to get anything else now, also stocked up on tea bags this morning as our local supermarket had Yorkshire tea with 100% extra free so got enough for a month at least!
    Going to update my sig now. I've spent £269.91 of my £290 budget.
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Jun 08, 2:18 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hiya Orkney,

The recipe below I do quite often and just bung in whatever veg and potatoes I have lying around - but always pop broad beans in. Its a good food, but can't find it on the site to stick a link in - so here it is:

Chicken and Spring Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:
    2 chicken breasts (skin on)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    200g baby new potatoes (cleaned and thinly sliced
    500 ml chicken stock (can be a cube)
    200g mixed spring vegetables including broad beans (to be honest I bung in what ever I have!)
    2 tbsp crème fraiche
    Handful of tarragon roughly chopped (again I quite often stick in whatever I have ample of out of the garden) or ½ tsp of dried tarragon
    • Fry chicken in olive oil for 5 mins each side. Throw in potatoes and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
    • Remove lid, turn up heat to reduce the stock a bit (2mins ish), chuck in veg, cover again and cook for 5 mins.
    • Stir in crème fraiche to make creamy sauce, season with S and P, chuck over tarragon and serve.
    Originally posted by cookinmummy
    Hmmmm, guess what started making for dinnner earlier, a version of chicken stew but without any creme fraiche in it. I might try this another time when I can incorporate creme fraiche into the meal plan.
  • jackk
    Please could someone possibly point me in the right direction for a thai green curry recipe :0)

Thankyou

Jackie x
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 25th Jun 08, 2:36 PM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Jackie,

The one I use is based on a recipe off the side of a jar of curry paste.

1kg chicken, chopped
    2 green pepper, chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tin coconut milk
    2 tbsp Thai green curry paste

Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion and green pepper. Add the chicken. When the chicken has gone opaque, stir in the curry paste and fry for a few mins longer. Add the coconut milk and transfer to an oven dish with a lid. Cook in a fairly low oven for 45 mins.

Easy peasy Serve with fragrant rice.

(Makes 6 portions - works out quite pricey if you use fresh chicken but you could just as easily use leftovers from the Sunday roast).
    Last edited by Bargain Rzl; 27-06-2008 at 8:35 AM. Reason: changed the quantities after a practical experiment last night!
    Operation Get in Shape
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 25th Jun 08, 3:02 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    Please could someone possibly point me in the right direction for a thai green curry recipe :0)

Thankyou

Jackie x
    Originally posted by jackk
    This recipe is on our fortnightly menu plan - and is a big hit with all the family. It's a green thai with a twist as its baked in one pot in the oven - and takes about 5 min prep to do - so very quick and fuss free:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4017/ovenbaked-thai-chicken-rice

Enjoy its is very scrummy!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 25th Jun 08, 3:14 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,525 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Or a big favourite with us is new potato, bacon & broad bean salad with balsamic dressing.

Just cook tatties & beans, fry chopped bacon and mix all together balsamic vinegar. We always use fresh beans, but sure frozen would work too and if you don't have/like balsamic you could substitute it for another dressing or even some creme fraiche or something probably.

HTH
    Linz[/quote]

Just what I wanted something to do with broad beans and love the idea of broad bean burgers there never seems to be enough to do with them and we seem to have a glut in the garden this year, next it will be runner beans but we,ll save that for another time

thanks linzmac will be nice with salad as well
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 25th Jun 08, 3:23 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    It can be done
    By the way, I'm allicated £40 per fortnight for 3 adults, this is hard, especially with all the price increases lately But try really hard to manage, any Ideas guys xx
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    Hi Herewegoagain, we are a household of 3 adults, one of whom is my 19 y-o son, and my budget is similar to yours, at £1000 for the full year. I see £40/fortnight as entirely do-able, especially if you are prepared to take advantage of bargains (I have stock piled on dry goods, tins and toiletries) when they are available, stick to buying basic products, home bake and set yourself the challenge of not wasting any food. If there are biscuit /cake fans in the household, home baking solves that problem. Good luck with your challenge, a tight budget doesn't mean an unhealthy diet and it isn't too late to plant some potatoes into tubs for homegrowns later in the year.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • dink1
    New month afoot!
    Hi Guys,

Welcome all you newbies! i have found this thread very exciting and addictive in a wierd sort of way.(hangs head in shame!) Have sadly found myself getting up in the night to pop to the loo and just checked in to catch up on the thread (sad or what!). I am still trying to make out my next months meal plan and am still contemplating what the budget amount should be. I will make a decision tomorrow.

Congrats to all those who were under or on their budgets and hugs to those who didnt quite make it. I have been out to buy uniforms today so have managed to get a buzz from that instead of other shopping. lol.

Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
  • Anitaj73
    Hi All

Gosh its taken me a couple of days to catch up on the thread and i have missed wishing MrsM all the best....My thoughts are with her & her family anyway and have lit a candle for them

Anyway i have updated my sig and would like to declare £248.31 for june please as my new month starts tomorrow so i can happily say i am under budget on my first month woohoo!!!! And i would like to set July budget at £250 please angelnikki I know its a five week month but i'm sure i can do it now i have a few more tips and more NSD will be easier

Had a good result yesterday, had to nip into co-op for a few bits and their strawberries are on offer at 1.99 down from 3.99 and their Elmea cream is on bogof also the Cadbury fingers were on bogof so couldn't resist....Bad, bad girl I had a 40p off coupon for cravendale omega 3 milk so bought whole milk and watered down as its expensive
    The HM bread is going VERY well and felinefantastic i bake at gas 4 for 10 mins & turn down to gas 3 for 25 mins and crust is perfect everytime

Welcome to all the newbies, i only started this month and can confirm it is VERY addictive. I had never baked anything before joining the GC and now look at me

Well must get on with the tea.....Take Care all
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 25th Jun 08, 4:21 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Mrs M we'll all thinking of you x

Well another £9.94 in the Coop, still well under target so far and finish on Sunday. However DP 'needs' to go to Netto tomorrow for something, it's a good year or so since I last went there so will probably end up spending I have a small list of what I 'need' but will end up with more as usual. I still won't go over target as I am only taking what I have left, no cards etc.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 25th Jun 08, 5:40 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    After having 3 NSD (which is a first for me) I went to Asda today for milk, potatoes and pasta sauce and actually only got what I needed woo hoo another first for me. Probably helped that I only had the buggy with me which has a teeny tiny basket so couldnt fit too much in there anyways and cant carry shopping as well as push the double which is a good excuse.

Spent £5.52 and when I get around to making a signature I will add it lol.

Have also walked everywhere these past 3 days rather than using the car so saved more money by not using any petrol.
    • princess loki
    • By princess loki 25th Jun 08, 6:12 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    princess loki
    cocoa powder for weetabix brownies
    hello all!!

want to make these but dont have cocoa powder - just drinking chocolate... i guess i will need to use more drinking chocolate but less sugar... anyone tried this????

cheers!
    loki

Here it is Denise couldnt do link so I have cut and posted it from another thread it might be the same but they taste yummy!
    Post By jaxxy00

How to make Weetabix Brownies

Im not sure how they are normally made but my recipe comes from a lady who was doing the refreshments at a community centre jumble sale me and my sister went to one year. We had a cuppa and one of the brownies and they were really yummy so we asked were they got them from and the lady said shed made them and gave us the recipe. I wrote it on a scrappy bit of paper that i still have and use now.

In a bowl put
    4 crushed weetabix
    4oz caster sugar
    4oz self raising flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)

mix this altogether

then take 4oz of melted marg and stir this into the mixture along with an egg

mix well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at electric 180.

I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.

Enjoy!!! if you get chance before everyone else takes them.
    Originally posted by patentgirl
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!!
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 25th Jun 08, 6:50 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Hi everyone,

Just popped in to update signature, popped to MR T for some milk thats on offer and a few extra bits. Got some things for my mum as well so got roughly £20 to add to signature. Still under budget Just!!!.
    Not planning on going to shops til tuesday now. But I will declare on monday.

Please put me down for £180 for July Angelnikki (running from 1st-31st)

Thank you for looking after things while Mrs MC is away.

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,208Posts Today

6,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin