Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 10,664Posts
    • 55,383Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019 1st Jan 19 at 2:36 PM
    As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
    Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 5
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Babysitting cut short as SIL finished work early.
    So I am back home to have a cuppa, reheat the dinner and prepare for work tomorrow.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jan 19, 5:36 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Been given some polystyrene balls reclaimed from bean bags. So no excuses not to make some Thermal bags now.
    But not tonight. My shoulder is still sore and I need to rest it today.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jan 19, 6:19 AM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning already. I wish I could sleep better and without bad dreams. I wish I could wake up refreshed instead of with tired eyes, and puffy face. I tried staying up a bit longer, and thought it would help me but even with my sleep mist I took a while to drop off, and woke several times, but getting back to sleep was the problem. Oh well I can't expect my brain to change over night!

So today I am back in work, able to work upstairs as my friend comes in today. So she will do the social media stuff, and serve and I will tackle the alterations as there are a good few in to do. I haven't brought anything home to do this week, and I am hoping that I will get a good start today and not need to. I still have to find time to cut out some bags.
    I also have to get the website updated. So I will have to block time or it's not going to happen. I had ordered some year planner last year via Amazon which were supposed to be here by Tuesday and I got an email from Amazon Tuesday saying sorry but not saying when the new one is actually going to arrive. So back to pen and notepad then!
    • Imagnu
    • By Imagnu 10th Jan 19, 8:12 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Imagnu
    Mooloo, if you go to http://timeanddate.comyou can print off planners and calendars for free. We print monthly ones and put up 4 months at a time to keep track of family comings and goings.

Apologies, the planners are only available with subscription, but you might still find the monthly calendars useful, you could tape them all together!
    Last edited by Imagnu; 10-01-2019 at 9:35 AM.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jan 19, 3:45 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well the work is coming in thick and fast.
    I made a skirt for that fabric artist today. He wanted as cheaply as possible. That so annoys me. So a no frills, no hand sewing job. 75 minutes from pattern to outfit. I am not sure I'd like to work at that speed though.
    I managed another no spends day. And am keeping to the menu plan, really trying to cut the waste.
    My shoulder is sore so I will be careful.
    Had to laugh just got a text message from Barclaycard telling me that my credit rating has gone up. Erm thanks but I don't need it.

I am cutting my coat accordingly remember!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jan 19, 6:29 AM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Dreams! Confusing, unnerving, and darn right weird. I wake disoriented and alarmed. I really need to get to grips with life, as my dreams clearly show my subconscious brain is not a happy one.
    I can't describe this morning's last dream, too distjointed and too weird. But it played on my mind and kept me awake in the early hours. Dispute trying to think positive and grateful thoughts.
    I suppose that my chaotic life is why, but oh I wish I could take control of those dreams and feelings when I wake.
    One day I will have a good sleep and no bad dreams!
    One day I must wake up with a bounce!

Time for a shower and wash away the night.
    I have a busy day ahead and I still haven't cut out any thermal bags.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jan 19, 5:49 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So after I opened up the shop my first task was to find a couple of duvet covers in the workshop and cut out all the components for four thermal bags. It took about an hour. Then I did my repairs. I seemed to have found my flow, as I could work upstairs and not have to be interrupted much by customers collecting etc. I managed to finish 167 worth of jobs, and would have finished a zip in a jacket for another 30 but I got a pin in my finger and started to bleed on the coat!!! So time to stop and as it was just passed closing time I just decided to clean the spot and come home.
    Defrosted a ragu mix from Wednesday and boiled potatoes for mash. So we have a cottage pie with a grated cheese topping in the oven.
    Can't wait to try it.
    I managed another no spends day, and we managed to bank 180 for the shop, plus card payments will go in in a few days.
    So concentrating on bringing in the cash as best as I can.
    Feeling better than I did this morning.
    Had a letter from school inviting me in to discuss Dgd as she is entitled to Pupil Premium, which I know the school have been claiming ever since the criteria changed 3 or 4 years ago. But what I didn't know is that they can use it to help with one school uniform a year as well. That would have been good to know in the past, but handy to know that I can claim back a full uniform next time I buy one.
    I also believe it can help with her residential in March.
    That would really help me as I was struggling to find the 55 a month at the moment as I cannot pay myself a wage when I don't have it in the bank.
    Soon, soon.
    Things are going to come together.
    I had a call from the Foster carers for the boys.
    Apparently the only thing holding back the return of the boys is the fact they still haven't sorted out their bedroom. That this weekend has changed and the boys are to go to DS and her on Sunday till Tuesday, so he can start school where they now live on Monday. Then the same the next weekend with a view to full return on weekend 27.8th lock stock and toy box.
    If the house is not in order the social will be doing paperwork for a court order. They will loose the boys if that's on the cards.
    I do feel awful because I told her that I believe the boys best interest is not with the family, but with a new family. It breaks my heart but I cannot see them having a happy life if DS is not happy. He appears to be very depressed about life as far as his talk with his sister.
    He doesn't really want to be with the woman. But thinking stupidly that he has to stay because he wouldn't get the boys. I really think he needs to get away from her!
    But I cannot interfere. It is their business not mine.
    Time for that cottage pie! I am starving!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    You're really getting organised now Mooloo . The meal planning must be making a real difference both financially and less stress . The meals sound healthy too.

Good you got 4 thermal bags cut out . It's good news about the school info too . Everything seems to be coming together .

I hope as things fall into place the dreams and sleep problems will lessen . You've had so much going on in your head over the last few years in many ways it's bound to stay in your head during the night . We carry our worries with us 24/7 so as each of yours is solved you should begin to feel the difference .

You're wise not to interfere re ds . As I said recently he has to sort this himself . Well done for seeing they aren't ready to have the boys back at this point and telling the foster carers your feelings .

I must admit there are a number of things to consider .
    If they split up who would have the boys ? Neither of them sound able to care for them alone due to the shifts .

GF does come across as lazy but your son could have sorted the boys room .

It isn't easy to fathom but at the moment I cant see returning the boys as anything but a disaster waiting to happen.

Meanwhile give yourself a pat on the back . You've worked wonders over the past week . I hope dgd is settling back into .school .

polly x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 7:35 AM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    It's the parents bedroom that's not ready. They are still sleeping on the couches downstairs.
    No wonder they are tired. I will call at 3 after work and offer to help this afternoon. But I hope they will have done it. More for comfort if nothing else.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Quick tea break before my next fitting.
    Teaching at 2pm so heater on in the top floor workshop or my fingers won't work.
    My first hour and a bit, making cushion covers for sale. Two lovely black and white cushions done, photographed and on the FB Pages.
    Not got access to the website from the phone.
    I enjoy being creative. Simple things just to relax me at the start of the day.
    I need to go shopping after work as I have a few birthdays coming up. Don't enjoy Saturday afternoon at the shops.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 12th Jan 19, 10:56 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    hb2
    Hi Mooloo, I'm sorry that your sleep is not restful. Everything is harder to manage when we are tired It sounds as if your brain is working at night on the things you are able to bury during the day. I agree with Pollyanna that the dreams should diminish as you cross things off the 'worrisome' list.

It is clearly a difficult situation with your son and one to which I don't know the background but it does sound as if you have done what is best for 'the boys'.

Good news that you will get help with Dgs school uniform!

I hope that your day goes well and that you will be able to get some 'me time' somewhere over the weekend.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 11:11 AM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It is good to do something creative to start the day rather than just the mundane jobs . I picked up a pair of warm but fine fingerless gloves (the type with a bit you can unbutton to cover the fingers completely if needed ) They were reduced to a quarter of the original price in the end of season sale in a shop I went in on Thursday . They leave the upper joint of the fingers exposed when the upper part is buttoned back . I've found they're really helping keep my hands warm and less painful when I'm typing or doing various jobs around the house such as ironing etc . My arthritis gloves are quite close fitting so are designed to put pressure on the hands , they work well but these wool ones are less restrictive for daytime stuff .

Hope the day goes well . If you go to ds for goodness sake don't be lifting and shifting! Nothing wrong with helping a little but remember the physical and mental fallout last year . You're focused this year on getting things under control financially,physically and mentally so don't let yourself become the automatic Go To again .

Remember too the bank of mum has closed .

Good luck

polly x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yes bank of Mum is closed.
    Didn't go to DS, Lessons ran late and then I was talking to the parents about the next project and my decision to close in the Summer. Felt quite emotional, held it... just.
    Home via the Co-Op with a few yellow sticker items to go in the freezer. Neither Dgd or I fancy tonight's menu plan meals so I will be having a naughty TV dinner.
    I have been relaxing in the bath with a cuppa. But now I need to tackle the things dumped on the spare bed!
    I need to find my sewing machines that I put away before Christmas.
    I intend to start sewing the thermal bags when I am watching the tv later. At least start them anyway.
    I have tight gloves for working when my hands are bad. Don't use them all the time though.
    Spoke to DS on the phone, he said that they were getting there. I briefly told him what the Foster Carer had told me. I have also said that I wanted to see him Wednesday morning and take him shopping for some new shoes for his birthday. I want to get him on his own and just have some Mum and Son time.
    I will not be giving Money as it will not go on shoes.
    The GF is not going to be invited!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    You must feel emotional after telling the parents of your plans to close . Look on it as one dream you fulfilled and kept going even when you couldn't pay yourself a living wage . You didn't fail , you built it up added the lessons etc and the work came in . The drip , drip of demands on your money and time reduced your funds and energy so you did well to keep going .

New plans and the dream in the future will keep you focused after you leave the shop . It sounds as though you are well liked by your clients so if you can find either a small unit or somewhere suitable I believe you'll see the regulars and others still wanting you to be their seamstress and teacher . Overheads should be much less .

You've had a busy week so there's nothing naughty about a TV dinner after the working week .

I hope the thermal bags attract sales they're such a moneysaving option after buying . Did you ever have "fun" with the polystyrene balls? When I first made a few I got distracted and ended up ankle deep in them . Only happened once, I started using a suitably sized funnel when filling - learned my lesson fast .

I've been thinking it would be good to get ds on his own away from home without any distraction and buying his present seems the ideal time . I still wonder if he could do the HGV course at this stage after all you've started paying back the loan .

Do you know if he phoned them or made any contact after arriving at the address they gave him . Did he explain what had happened ? It seems very wrong they can't arrange the 1st stage again when you're stuck with costly repayments .

Have a good evening Mooloo .

pollyx
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 12-01-2019 at 5:55 PM.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Thought I would try to set up the sewing in the spare room but there is no room for the chair between the bed and the units.
    I am worried about the space I do have, which is all pretty crammed now never mind when I start to work here as I have too many things, threads, fabrics, machines etc.
    I am worried that I may need that workshop in the garden afterall.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    DS is going to contact them again. He has the provisional license through now, and he has told them, so he is going to chase. I told him if they don't give him satisfaction in 7 days then we will see about going to trading standards, etc and double check them out, and if they are dodgy I will cancel the payment etc even if it means closing the bank account it's being taken from!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I think you'll have to consider the outdoor workshop if things go ok financially when winding up the lease and selling any makes in the time until then plus surplus stock .As you know it's easier to have machines etc in a permanent position whenever possible .

I'm lucky to have a large built in cupboard with the machines in and a large desk big enough to cut out on and shelves and wall racks to house threads and all the other zips etc . Buttons are in clear jars colour coded and I lucky to have a spare bedroom now turned over to sewing .

Lifting the machines in and out of the cupboard is a pain especially my quilting machine which is very heavy so that's the one that's been out since last year as it's general purpose too .

If you're teaching you'll need the space for other machines so the outdoor workshop seems the better option.It frees up the house too so not a great impact on homelife for you and dgd .

polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 6:21 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    2nd time tonight I've been unable to edit so another post to say I'm glad the HGV situation is being tackled . Let's hope things will work out without any problems but yes if there are take the fight all the way with them . I've been inwardly fuming at the injustice of it since it happened . Sending positive vibes ds will get the chance to change his future and one more problem sorted for you financially and re you needing to see him getting an opportunity of a decent career .

pollyx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 26,747 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I know in the past you used to follow Elaine on FB but have you been able to access her site today? I'm not on facebook so always go in on the website . Just tried seeing if she's posted over the past week and I'm getting the bad gateway message which happened back when she had issues with her site . Have you had any problems Mooloo?

pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 55,383 Thanks
    Mooloo
    NO I cannot access it either.
    I will text her.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,082Users online

Martin's Twitter