Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 10,670Posts
    • 55,432Thanks
    Mooloo
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    I will cut my coat according to my cloth. Mooloo 2019 1st Jan 19 at 2:36 PM
    As I am a Seamstress, and this year is about my sorting out my life and changing my direction, finally loosing the family debts etc perhaps the title is the most apt I can come up with this year.
    Here is to 2019 and a frugal year to change my direction so that I can rebuild my dreams in the next year.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 49
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Jun 19, 6:05 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The garden has been done. He did all the jobs on the list I gave him today including moving the washing on for me.
    I did the sofa cushions and a box cushion for someone else as well. But didn't get much else done today, and I have not brought any work home.
    Tomorrow I am teaching all day. After the lessons I will look at the orders for next week and then decide what I need to do or if I need to do anything on Sunday.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It's good to hear ds followed your list and got a number of jobs done. At least now the garden is ready you've one last thing off the worry list. Do you have a date booked yet for the log cabin delivery?

I'm not sure you'll ever need any more sewing machine bags once you're working from home but Debbie Shore has a free tutorial on her blog for a strong bag with a reinforced base and metal studs on the bottom . Just google debbie shore sewing machine bag and it should bring it up. I'm sure you're already familiar with her work as apart from her blog she's on fb, instagram and other sites .

I have some of her books including sewing room accessories. The half yard series are good for making use of remnants etc. I had a look at her most recent garden one and wasn't impressed . There's a rather nice garden tepee but I think most people who sew already know how to make one of them. The most bizarre thing in the new book features large outdoor garden pots swathed in fabric. The mind boggles on that one.

Anyway get those feet up aim for an early night . Hope tomorrow goes well.
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Jun 19, 6:43 AM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I need to double check with the company on Monday but I think it is due next week.
    I need to double check the footings size and let next door know. I meant to do that yesterday but I have been so busy that I forgot and I am not sure they are open today.

I have a married couple coming to class today. The chap came on the basics class a few weeks ago. The lady has been on several of the classes in the past few years, she is making the trousers from a Tilly and the buttons fabric but I am not sure what he is going to do, as he is a last minute addition because the course was under subscribed. I would usually have cancelled it, but the lady is a regular and had a brain injury and is relearning so I am happy to do it for her on a more personal level at her pace.
    Despite lots of interest etc I am not getting firm bookings so I plan to make this the last one and cancel the next advertised ones, and use my Saturday to start seriously packing up the top floor. Time is galloping by and everywhere is so full still.
    I can't bring stuff home yet as there really is no room. I need to be ruthless and that's just not easy for me.
    There are a lot of old sewing machines, and I really won't have room for them, I already gave my brother the treadle machine earlier in the year.
    I think I will have to test each one and see if I can sell them or take them to the recycling place. But not today.
    Unfortunately one of my regular customers came in for a fitting or two yesterday and brought back a dress that the other lady was supposed to have done while I was on holiday, it was in a bunch of things last time, but she had not finished the hem! She had cut it but not sewn it!! The lady was very nice about it, but I am not happy. Monday I will be talking to her, and I will have to oversee her work, as that's several big mistakes in the last few weeks. If I wasn't closing soon I think I would be seriously thinking about giving her notice to leave. Before she ruins anything else or my reputation.

The work is coming in thick and fast, and the money is starting to follow it. I am back in the Black with this months bills all covered and I am beginning to put 10% away in the savings account for the business again.
    That makes me happy.
    Now if the weather would improve we can put stuff on rails etc out the front of the shop and that always picks up sales.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 15th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    hb2
    Mooloo, Hurrah! to being back in the black but I know it has only come about due to your very hard work.

The simple fact is that you are currently housing and feeding 2 extra little uns and an adult with little/no financial recompense Your son should be putting his rent and board ahead of everything else (other than the debt repayments until that is sorted out) but it seems he prefers to have 'fun' instead. Well, don't we all? but most of us live in the real world and know that is not how things work!

Speaking of the debts, I gather that your son hasn't made any effort to approach an agency that could help with this? I'm sorry to say that I don't think he will until/unless you find a way of forcing the issue. This certainly isn't how things should be but it seems to be the way they are

I'm glad the footings have been done for when the cabin arrives, hope that it helps to cross something off that enormous 'to do' list. Also hope that you manage to carve out some 'me time' over the weekend, that elastic band looks perilously near to snapping from where I am standing! (((hugs)))
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Jun 19, 10:07 AM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just noticed I wrote one last thing off the worry list. Obviously the worry list is longer. I was posting and about to speak to dd about whether she should leave taking the methotrexate this weekend as the last two weeks it's given her a real kicking and she's been sick and flaring constantly. Dr advises leaving it in these situations.

I know you are overwhelmed with work so can't give notice to staff but my goodness she doesn't help . Luckily most of your customers know your work and will let you sort things. Having to yet again oversee everything she works on takes you away from your own tasks. It's lucky you'll be relocating soon. Word of mouth can make or break a reputation but you have loyal customers thankfully.

You've done really well earnings wise although you've worn yourself out doing so. Keep the purse tightly closed.

Re the sewing machines we had a wool shop here for over 40 years . The husband sold , maintained and repaired sewing machines including mine. Everything from new to the old hand Singers and ones he'd fitted with a motor. The shop window was always full of them. You may already have them in your window but he got the majority of sales from passers by.

Once you've serviced yours it could be worth placing an ad in your local free newspaper if you have one. If you're advertising a few you will be charged as a trader but the rates here are minimal. There's also local fb etc. I would be trying to get some cash rather than taking them for recycling . Every penny helps .
    We have a recycling for charity workshop here and it's a wonderland of all sorts lots of it vintage. I have been known to stand stroking the old Singers but dare not get another one having built up a mini mountain in the past all of which have now been passed on.

Lovely to read about the couple at your classes , he must be a lovely man to be so supportive to his wife . My late 1st husband suffered a severe brain injury and it's a hard road for all. You've no doubt sorted him with a project now . Not knowing how much he's picked up from the basics course it's hard to say. I would go for a simple cushion either the flap type or tie one to avoid zips. He could make his and hers as a reminder of their joint venture.

I hope the day flies by.
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jun 19, 8:52 AM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We had a good morning. Although they didn't finish, they went home and continued to work on their projects. He brought the Sewing Bee 1st book pj's. So he was making them, slightly challenging with stretch fabric but he was happy with how far he got in the time. We had been talking about walking feet and one of the blogs I followed had a section on them so I sent her a link to it in the evening and she said they were nearly finished and joked they had an afternoon of sewing machine wars.
    So good to inspire them.

I brought home a trolley full again, but I took last night off and watched TV. You can tell DS was at work as I got to watch TV.
    I have had a slow start to the day, savouring the peace and quiet. But I am about to sew my jobs now.
    • hb2
    • By hb2 16th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    hb2
    Mooloo, it took me a while to work out what you meant by 'walking feet'. Can you tell that I am not a sewer?!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The boys are back, so my sewing is away.
    I have some chicken and veg roasting in the oven, the last wash hanging in the bathroom.
    I have done two hours of sewing, but some jobs are just prepared ready for the next stage.
    The lad is having a temper tantrum because he is not getting his own way.
    I see a lot of bad behaviour the day he comes back from his mother.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jun 19, 1:53 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Did I tell you that twin 2 wants to come home?
    She's asked me to research somewhere to live, but I cannot see her being able to find cheap enough housing up here. I certainly can't afford any large deposits on private rentals. I am at my limit and a little beyond at the moment.

I am tired now. I have a bridesmaid dress fitting in about an hour and a half. The one that I suggested got the next size up, as it was a huge task to alter it with panels and loops etc otherwise. But time is running short to get it done. Hence my going to them today .
    Tomorrow I will plan to stay at the shop later, until I have sewn my quota and made sure that I don't miss any deadlines. It is quite scary that the list of jobs is at 49 jobs to do.
    O Friday about 3.15 I had a request to shorten a Eve dress for a bride who was getting married the next day. ! I had to say No. can't be done.
    I was not going to take the extra pressure. I'm under enough at the moment.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jun 19, 1:57 PM
    • 64,479 Posts
    • 287,536 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you said no to the dress.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 16th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 14,623 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hi Mooloo just delurking to say that my little grandson will often have a temper tantrum when he is hungry. DD finds he needs his tea quite early on school days as he often doesn't eat all his lunch.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It could be tiredness or hunger with the boy even children with stable lives can struggle at times with shared custody.

If exgf and son still have arguments etc when they meet up that could be a big factor.

Glad you turned down the last minute dress . Re the work load I know you're focused on bringing in as much cash as possible but if you keep working at the present rate you will burnout.

You've managed to take wages this month and have the rent ready for the end of this month. With the log cabin you will repay that by no longer paying rent . insurance , staff wages and all the overheads involved.

You haven't mentioned having the talk with ds yet . After his induction on Wednesday you need to thrash out the problem with him . The little ones wont be there so you can let rip.

Twin2 needs to do her own research . She managed to come up with her soaps business idea with a little help and went on to fight for classes and support. It's a weird idea to move near you . Financially it's dead in the water with higher bills and moving costs etc . I'd be leaving it to her and see how far she gets. I can't remember if one or both twins were involved with the family from hell but she needs to consider why they moved in the first place.
    pollyx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jun 19, 6:38 AM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yes it was the family from hell that chased her away in the first place, so living in Towcester is out for a start.
    I am going to be busy with this work so I will not be prioritising her search anyway at the moment.
    Luckily for me with DS here I won't feel obliged to offer that she comes home!! Phew!

We were woken with the lad shouting "cockadoodle doo, it's morning!"
    Luckily he slept well and we were due to get up anyway.

Last night I sat working on my Accounts. I don't know why I had got out of the habit of doing it every Sunday evening, but it was February since I had done it. !! It took me 4 hours.
    So accounts are back in my planner!!
    • hb2
    • By hb2 17th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    hb2
    Well done for turning down the last minute work Mooloo! Whilst it can be tempting to want to be the person to save the day, you really do have more than enough to do at the moment.

I'm also glad that you cannot offer to house Twin2, you are already stretched beyond your limits (((hugs))).

I had a gastroscopy this morning so am feeling a bit sleepy (I was sedated) and have a sore throat. Never mind, it could be a lot worse!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jun 19, 4:49 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well done for turning down the last minute work Mooloo! Whilst it can be tempting to want to be the person to save the day, you really do have more than enough to do at the moment.

I'm also glad that you cannot offer to house Twin2, you are already stretched beyond your limits (((hugs))).

I had a gastroscopy this morning so am feeling a bit sleepy (I was sedated) and have a sore throat. Never mind, it could be a lot worse!
    Originally posted by hb2
    Hope you feel better soon HB2
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jun 19, 4:56 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Another old debt for fuel from 2017 has arrived at Biggests door for DS. But I am confused as I paid a fuel bill to the Bailiff in Sept 2017 so I don't understand it. However unless I can find a paper statement I can't check which Bailiff is was as I didn't have the paper work it was DS girlfriends. So unless they had yet another fuel supplier I am confused.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jun 19, 9:22 PM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Unpicking of zips this evening, a jumper full of holes to mend and a kola. However I have had to abandon the koala as he is made from real fur and it is rotting so as fast as I tried to mend him he was falling apart. I did try and put corduroy behind one of the ears to strengthen it but it is just a task way beyond my skills. I think it needs an expert.
    I have a sore throat this evening, so I hope that I am not going to be incapacitated as I don't have the luxury of not working.

Wonder what joys tomorrow will bring?
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 26,777 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Can you check with your bank who the recipient of the of your payment was. That's if you paid by cheque or card at the time. If you paid cash to the bailiff or via ds and gf however you wont have a paper trail sadly. I can't figure out why when gf has the statement Biggest is getting these letters for ds.

I hate unpicking zips . Pity about the koala but some things are beyond normal repair.

Sending positive vibes tomorrow will be a better day with no more surprises unless they're nice ones. Your little human alarm clock will be ready to announce morning so get to bed and rest. Tomorrow is another day.

You've hopefully been asleep for hours hb2. Hope you managed to eat something soft. I found soup non chunky and not too hot the easiest thing to start with. The throat lozenges that you can leave to melt in your mouth are quite soothing. Wasn't my favourite experience but I wasn't sedated . Well worthwhile though as it confirmed the stomach ulcers that resulted from taking Ibuprofen long term to be able to continue at work. I hope you get a good outcome.

Hope the throat is better tomorrow Mooloo . Hayfever has been bad here and that usually means a sore throat.

Sleep tight all. I should have gone to bed early . Very early start and a long day ahead tomorrow so see you in the evening.
    pollyx
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 17-06-2019 at 9:54 PM. Reason: cheque not check
    • hb2
    • By hb2 18th Jun 19, 11:38 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    hb2
    Mooloo, it's a pity about the koala but better that you realised it was beyond your scope than spend hours on it and still not be right!

I hope your throat is feeling more comfortable today (((hugs))).

Polly, thanks for your suggestions. I was able to eat last night and throat is feeling very much better today. They found a polyp in my duodenum, they are certain it is currently benign but have taken biopsies and told me that I might need a further scope, depending on the biopsy results. Not my favourite thing to experience, but certainly not the worse thing out there!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Jun 19, 6:10 AM
    • 10,670 Posts
    • 55,432 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I just kept plodding yesterday. We both were getting through the jobs methodically and steadily. I was messaging everyone as we finished them, and we have a full rail of work to be collected. We didn't take much money yesterday, but there was a few hundred in the bank this morning from card machine transactions over the weekend and Monday. I have enough still for the rent, I could cover the loan repayments, and have started putting the 10% back into the savings every time card payments and cash go into the bank. So begins to feel worth the slog. My fitting in the evening went smoothly, and I picked up yellow sticker goodies on the way home, along with some 0% alcohol free beers.
    Over the past few weeks since my break I have switched from the wine to alcohol free drinks because of the tablets, and also because the temptation to have wine was too easy an escape mode. I realised that I was drinking too much overtime. So the alcohol free has been a good way of changing my habit. I think I have lost a bit of weight and lost 2" off of my tummy. I walk everywhere except for Wednesday when I take Mum out, and then Sunday if we go anywhere. That saves me money on fuel too.

I am adjusting to the tablets and beginning to be able to function earlier in the morning now.

I need to find my Credit card tatements for 2017 to see who I paid. The debts are being sent to Biggests as the housing had her address as a forwarding address and I suppose they have passed the information on one way or another.
    DS is not talking to me about money, I cannot get him to listen, he just gets annoyed and says that he knows.

DS's bed frame broke last night, so she was on the floor on a camping mat last night, and we will need to sort out what was under the bed, so we can put the matteress on the floor until we decide on what type of bed is best and will fit in the room.
    All fun and games in this house.
    I can hear the children are awake, but I didn't get a cocka doodle doo!
    I said that I wanted him to look at his books if he woke before me. Maybe he is actually listening to me.

Time to wake up Dgd.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,096Posts Today

7,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Short lived promo from Virgin - 100mb broadband (that's seriously fast) AND line for equiv of £19/mth - that's les? https://t.co/QqEwbcvsRN

• Follow Martin